aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Physical football is still ok, its not illegal, and hopefully will always be part of football, otherwise we are going to have a very boring tedious game in the future.

Its not even remotely comparable to eradicating racism from football.

Come on man. 

But I'm not trying to compare the two things at all. Of course I think racism is a much bigger problem. I just applied your reasoning to defending Stoke's approach to something else to try and highlight how ridiculous I found it.

Rob my house, fuck my dog.....but NEVER - EVER!!! play HUTH AT RIGHT BACK!!!! :cheers: ive got a 12 month SkySports subscription and a notepad and im not scared to use it Tony FUCKING Pulis!

You know what Palacios cost? funny no one else does??? it was never announced to my knowledge?????

Horrible club??? give over, youve never been within a hundred miles of the place have you?

Incorrect, I have been in Stoke and extremely close to the Britannia. I'm not slagging the city, it's nice enough. Plus Alton Towers and Staffordshire oatcakes, innit?

I just hate Stoke City FC and everything they have stood for in their Premier League years under Pulis. Horrible, percentage football. Big clogger centre backs played everywhere from full back to striker (I'm looking at 'utility man' Ryan Shotton here). The rugby tackles in the penalty box at set pieces. Charlie Adam. This:

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zw7rWnVxng4

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGz50wg_jZY

This:

article-2284742-183AF158000005DC-870_634

Etc, etc.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes
  • Upvote 2

Who'd have thought a club coming up from the Championship ( wilderness ) would play unattractive "percentage" football to try and stay up eh, just when numerous, far bigger clubs clubs ( Newcastle, WBA blah blah you could write a book ) have perished and undoubtably will again trying to play football the "proper" way.

Im certain Stoke only really spent "big" ( around 6 million ish :p ) knowing that money would be rebuked by actually staying in the Premiership this season due to the massive influx of money obviously this season above others, that aswell as Begovic being touted by Man yooo and Barca among others and hoping to make a mint that way, they did stay in the division before on a proverbial shoestring before with substandard footballers, many of whom are still there, there is no doubt of that, i thought it was a fantastic achievement the first 3 seasons...near enough unheard of. Pretty or not. Cant understand why anyone really gives a shit to be fair, theyre fucking 16th in the league or whatever, whatever floats your boat though.

Funny how times change, i remember not so long ago it was imperative to have to big centre halves who would flatten anyone in their path, play to the whistle and if they got away with it...fuck it, get on with it you fanny. Footballs a different place now, mostly for the better....apart from our 4 international teams being absolute dog shit, but thats a different story.

Not that im condoning for a second dirty play, and by dirty play i mean the horror challenges that only a moron would condone, Stoke are more guilty than most, undeniably, thats wrong. Thereve been some stinkers this season, the young lad at Wigan and even the challenge on Charlie Adam at Sunderland, were all as bad as any.

• Upvote 1

Football should be played in anyway you feel is going to make you successful surely? Why would you want to "play the right way" like Wigan, and get relegated, over playing safe football and staying up? What gain do you get from going down "playing the right way"? 

Ever since Barca took over the world, there seems to be this conception that all football must be played the beautiful way. The thing is as well, Stoke dont only score from set pieces or from long balls, there is more to their game, but it gets clouded under the "hoof ball" talk we always see. Watching Stoke has been no worse than watching West Ham, or Norwich this season, yet neither of those two teams get the shit Stoke do. 

• Upvote 2

On a similar topic, people say Martinez would be the manager to replace him, despite the fact he hasnt progressed Wigan in 4 years. Yes they won the FA cup this year, but thats a one off thing that can happen given the luck of the draw. So is it just the fact he encourages passing that makes him better? 

I cant argue with the figures quoted, but Kighlty, Jerome, Adam etc are hardly Rooney, Tevez and Mata are they, i guess thats testament to what finances it would actually take to improve a lesser team in the Premiership. Wages are a massive part of transfers, it doesnt take me to say that. I cant see anywhere near that sort of investment again from Stoke, if they do stay in the Premier, i think it was a gamble ( like i said ) that would eventually be rebuked.

Excited?? im excited, i never said i wasnt. I liked Pulis, thought he was an honest guy and genrally well liked ( obviously not on here :p ) by most pros you listen too and in my eyes rightly so, thought he was a bit cringeworthy when we lost and also when he banged on about an un level playing field as far as getting players in and that, has it ever been fair?, no. FairER? yes.

I thought Stoke did improve....marginally, i found it pianful at the end of this season though without occasionally upsetting the top 4 and trashing Newcastle or Bolton or some other team, so i guess he paid the price. nuff said.

Martinez, no chance. Hughes more than likely.

I'm not overly convinced by Martinez either. His teams are good in the middle of the park but very poor everywhere else, in my opinion. They hold the ball and pass well, the starting point for any good team, but they've been a defensive mess for years and they don't exactly create many chances with all that possession. 

I'd love to see him go to another club and prove me wrong, but I can't view him as anything more than average at the moment. I think they've performed to their level every year under Martinez and have benefited heavily from the number of badly-run, catastrophic teams that have been in the PL over the last few seasons. 

If you look at his time at Swansea and compare it with what Brendan Rodgers did there: Martinez came in and educated those players on proactive football, which you still see in their style today (to Martinez' credit, imo). Rodgers came in, obviously with similar views on retaining possession and playing positively, but sculpted an incredibly solid backline while also sharpening their attacking play. That's the most effective example I can use to highlight what I believe are Martinez' deficiencies as a manager.

The Stoke appointment could be interesting. It'd be nice to see them think outside the box and employ someone with a real positive strategy, who's willing to slog it out over the next few seasons and slow clear the squad out. Hughes would be terribly uninspiring.

• Upvote 2

Football should be played in anyway you feel is going to make you successful surely? Why would you want to "play the right way" like Wigan, and get relegated, over playing safe football and staying up? What gain do you get from going down "playing the right way"? 

Ever since Barca took over the world, there seems to be this conception that all football must be played the beautiful way. The thing is as well, Stoke dont only score from set pieces or from long balls, there is more to their game, but it gets clouded under the "hoof ball" talk we always see. Watching Stoke has been no worse than watching West Ham, or Norwich this season, yet neither of those two teams get the shit Stoke do. 

Stoke have only scored 14 goals from open play this season, but I completely agree with the rest of this.

If you want to add to your list, Newcastle have played absolutely disgusting football all season long, barring the odd moment of brilliance from Ben Arfa.

• Upvote 1

Remember when Jermaine Pennant and Matthew Etherington were alright? That was good.

Remember when Stoke bought Tuncay then failed to use him in any meaningful way. That was ungood.

Agreed :) The F.A Cup semi final V Bolton was the best day EVER, i was fucking clattered!!!

It was funny really:

Pulis - "I think we should buy / bring in Owen, Tuncay, Upson, Woodgate, Palacios, Pennant........."

Coates - "really Tony......theyre a bit dodgy................injuries???......nobheads??????

Pulis - "aaaaaaahh they'll be fine with a bit of aaaaaaaaard wurrrrrrrrrrk"

Coates "why arent you playing them Tony??"

Pulis - " arr theyre a bit dodgy.....injuries....nobheads and that"

Coates - "oh.............."

Onwards and upwards, it will be like watching Brazil by Septemeber!!!! G'warrrrrrrrrn Stoke.

CTID

Tuncay was legit good at Middlesbrough. Ran his arse off in every game while still being good at kicking the ball. Effort and end product in a single player. Shame we didn't have more like him - we might have stayed up.

Cracking footballer. Im only going by the rumour mill, always rated him personally.