aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Yeah but outwith Cleverly and Welbeck and i guess you could count Evans, how many of the current Man Utd first team squad are home grown youth players? Giggs and Scholes aside, as i dont really count them. The rest have maybe played one or two cup games here and there and thats it. The other young guys in the first team were all bought in, Jones, Smalling, Rafel, De Gea. I'm obviously not having a go at Fergie, but Jose does give the kids that are good enough a shot. 

Why don't you count Giggs and Scholes? Fergie was certainly responsible for plucking them out of the academy, amongst many others around that time. Then later came the likes of Darren Fletcher, (around the same time as John O'Shea, Wes Brown etc)

Rafael and Fabio were brought in when they were 16 and were 1st year scholars in the academy, but couldn't play until they were 18, so arguably they count too. The Premier League squad restrictions considers both the Da Silva twins as home grown anyway.

From the kids that Jose has picked out of the academy himself, how many appearances are they making? Morata has made 17 appearances in 3 years, though a couple of those pre-date Mourinho taking over. Adan and Nacho have had a a few each. Don't know how many appearances the others have made.

Pointless argument anyway.

You can't deny that Mourinho is a chequebook manager vs Ferguson who has a track record of consistently bringing through players from the youth system.

The fact that Mourinho hasn't lasted long enough at a club to demonstrate this over a prolonged period is moot - it's his own fault/choice that this is the case, therefore the inference is that he works short term.

He was there at Chelsea when they were instalilng this 'world class' academy (where they went and bought a bunch of teenagers to fill it up) and basically none of the youngsters that everyone was wanking over have (yet) done anything of note in the Chelsea team, with the exception of Ryan Bertrand I suppose.

I'm talking about the likes of Bruma, Sinclair, van Aanholt, Sahar, Hutchinson, Kakuta, McEachran, Huth, Borini. Obviously they have all to an extent carved out decent enough careers elsewhere, but it's clearly an unsuccessful academy if none of these players are breaking into the first team.

• Upvote 1

Yep, Wigan were excellent today. City clearly didn't perform, but a lot has to go down to Martinez's system which worked a treat. Love a three-at-the-back, it's so versatile if you have effective wing-backs that are comfortable on the ball and good athletes. I though McArthur did brilliantly well on the right given it's not really his position and the guy Espinoza looks horrifically shit but good at the same time. Kind of like Jonas Gutierrez at Newcastle.

It's insane that Wigan are consistently dragged into a relegation battle, but when Gary LOLdwell is your captain and for a long time best centre half there's yer problem. I do hope Wigan go down though. I think Martinez would take a bigger job (hopefully Everton) and I really want to see James McCarthy get a move too. He's still learning, but will be class IMO.

My missus used to work with James McCarthy's uncle. He used to live in Aberdeen and work for Enermech up in Northfield, but now lives down in Glasgow. He said that Arsenal were all over McCarthy 2 years ago. Apparently Arsenal representatives turned up at James McCarthy's house on more than one occasion to talk with him without Wigan's permission. That sounds like some of the shit people text in to the BBC live feed on deadline day, but honest, it's true!

So when Arsenal fans start blubbering about Barca tapping up their players, tell them to do one, because they're at it as well.