aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

I searched for the word "Pardew" and lolled at your evolution of Pardew-based comments. From "Pardew is starting to make a few odd decisions" to "I'm worried about Pardew's management, I think he's losing it" to "DIE PARDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!"

I'm not sure if I can give an objective appraisal of Pardew but a lot of people still give me odd looks when I say he should be fired, but I just think there's so much wrong with him as Newcastle United manager.

Thursday night, Benfica. We need a 2-0 win or better to qualify. Pardew sets out to defend and contain for the first 70 minutes, even though Benfica rest their most potent attackers and it's quite obviously from the first leg that their cloggy defence is very vulnerable to pace and trickery. He starts Bigirimana, a raw defensive midfielder, at RW ahead of Marveaux, our best creative spark in Ben Arfa's absence, and plays two banks of four which hasn't worked for us all season. We draw 1-1 without putting up much of a fight until the last 20-30 minutes, effectively surrendering a perfectly winnable game before kick-off.

On Sunday he picks the right personnel in the right shape who then go out and play as if they're participating in a Sunday afternoon kick-about down the local park. Instead of utilizing our strengths (attacking full-backs, Cisse's instincts, Sissoko and Gouffran's directness, Cabaye's playmaking) we opt to hoof it long to our front three who take it in turns to pump balls into the box. A flat, insipid performance in our most-anticipated game of the season against one of the worst squads in the league. Out-thought and out-fought by a manager whose experience in England amounts to a year on League Two and half-a-season in League One.

This is a weekly occurrence. He doesn't know how to set a team out. Sometimes it works for 45 minutes, then the opposition adjust and because Pardew has no plan B, we look atrocious. Even last season we played really horrible football at times, but we got results. We were pragmatic in getting the ball to Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa, who took matters into their own hands. We won points generally because they did something brilliant. An unsustainable tactic that worked at the time but had little scope for long-term success.

After every game it's the same excuses. Too many injuries, European schedule, blah, blah, blah. We have one of our deepest squads in some time (at least two players for every position) and you just signed some very good players in January. Don't talk to me about injuries. Schedule? Loathe that excuse. These are professional athletes. If they can't play two games in a week, I don't know what to say. I don't deny that injuries are a factor, but they are eclipsed by the man's inability to take responsibility for his own poor decisions. 

Media-wise he is a schmaltzy, sleazy slimebag. A thoroughly dislikeable man who says the right things when we're winning but results to excuse-making and blatant trolling at all other times.

We need to get rid of him in the summer. I am almost certain we will go down with him in-charge, whether its this season or next. Really, I'm shocked he hasn't been hounded out yet. The eight-year contract shouldn't be an issue ("we always put clauses in managerial contracts, we don't believe in big pay-outs" - Derek Llambias), so what is it? How has he conned so many people into thinking he's doing a good job? We have a good, balanced squad now. It really shouldn't be too difficult to keep is hovering around midtable at the very least.

1315712298001.jpg

I wonder if Bale will stay if they fall out of the top 4. With all the interest around him, and him having his best season yet, I imagine alot will rest on getting in the top 4 to keep him.

They are probably just a striker away from competing. And a plan on how to use ALL THOSE MIDFIELDERS. They should just play Gylfi up top, with Bale behind. Gylfi scores goals. He seems to get shoved outwide alot though. Put him near the goal, and he will get goals. Gylfi is goals.