aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

I basically put it on as Suarez won that penalty, so I enjoyed the game overall.  Quite like WBA, actually.  That boy Lukaku should definitely be Chelsea's 1st choice next season.  He's not quite there, but if they show confidence in him, I think he'll be better than Drogba.  Just as strong, and fast, with an eye for goal.  You forget he's only 19 or 20. 

I basically put it on as Suarez won that penalty, so I enjoyed the game overall.  Quite like WBA, actually.  That boy Lukaku should definitely be Chelsea's 1st choice next season.  He's not quite there, but if they show confidence in him, I think he'll be better than Drogba.  Just as strong, and fast, with an eye for goal.  You forget he's only 19 or 20. 

Completely agree. He's class. Seeing him at St. James' Park earlier in the season, the thing that surprised me most was his off-the-ball movement. One would assume he's just a big smasher, but he's actually a very smart player. Had an excellent game against us, then they replaced him with Shane Long's Yorkshire Terrier playing style after 65 minutes and everything went to shit.

Only once in the 3 points for a win era have Liverpool had fewer points from 26 games than they do this season (1992-93: 34 points).

Still I'm sure they can finish in the top 4 and Rodgers is such a great manager.

That's all very well, but they play football THE RIGHT WAY. That's way more important than winning, innit? Three points? Pffft. I'd much rather have 700 completed passes and 65% possession.

So John Motson has had a forty year career. I really, really wish he'd hurry the fuck up and retire. His commentary is dire and he always gets things wrong. I always dread his game coming up on MotD, almost as bad as when they had that woman commentator do some games. I'm sorry love, but this isn't a cooking show.

LOL, that was a joke. Not against it in principle, it was just her in particular that was awful.

• Upvote 2

Motson is distinctly more insightful and objective than that absolute chest-bollock, Alan Green, who commentates on BBC Five Live. The day he gets the opportunity to commentate on television is the day I finally slit my own fucking wrists.

A seriously repugnant human being.

What happened to the woman commentator?

There was probably a big positive pro-women-in-football and anti-sexist documentary based around her in the run up to her debut BBC commentary appearance. Probably presented by Gabby Logan or someone. Celebrating how righteous, open-minded, inclusive, and forward-thinking the BBC are. Then they realised she was a shit commentator and quietly got rid of her by sending her back to cover the horse racing at Royal Ascot every month, or something.

In all seriousness, though, she does still do football-related work for BBC; mainly for Five Live, I think. Her footballing opinions are about as well-informed as any other pundit on Five Live. Given that Five Live employ Alan Green and Mark Lawrenson, you can make of that what you will.

She genuinely couldn't understand why Darren Bent doesn't start every game for Aston Villa, or get her head around what Lambert is trying to achieve there.

Did anyone hear the commentary for the Celtic vs Juve game?  Worst commentary I've heard for years.  Atrocious. 

Do you mean TV or commentary? I watched the game on STV and Alan Brazil was summarising. He's a fucking Celtic fan! What the actual fuck? He was abused by a coach when he played for Celtic Boys Club...not the most objective summariser for a big Celtic game, really.

The STV commentary bothered me.

Do you mean TV or commentary? I watched the game on STV and Alan Brazil was summarising. He's a fucking Celtic fan! What the actual fuck? He was abused by a coach when he played for Celtic Boys Club...not the most objective summariser for a big Celtic game, really.

The STV commentary bothered me.

Aye it was the STV commentary I was referring to.  Terrible.  None of them seemed to be able to pronounce Juventus correctly.  And they were totally inept when it came to talking about the game itself.

Entirely agreed, Chris. I recall several references to how Celtic were "controlling and dominating the game."

I think most people will be able to acknowledge that Juventus were in complete control of that game from beginning to end, without really reaching beyond second gear.

Yeah, the Celtic/Juve commentary was grim. The best bit was when the co-commentator said something like "Claudio Marchisio is the Juventus version of Scott Brown." Big lols.

I find most commentary and punditry to be pretty awful, but I usually talk over it anyway. I quite like Jon Champion, but I'm not sure why. It might be because he uses phrases like "with a swish of the rapier" to describe goals, or maybe because he doesn't like Suarez.

Also, while we're statting up, this stat from this article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/feb/17/manchester-united-sir-alex-ferguson - is pretty staggering given the criticism levelled at United this year. Also staggering given that their defence has been shipping goals all over the shop.

The United class of 2012-13 have 65 points – not only 14 points better off than the 1999 treble winners at this stage but, incredibly, more than any United side managed by Sir Alex Ferguson after 26 games.