aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Another potentially fruitful career of an Aberdeen FC youngster totally wasted. It could easily be argued that nobody has ever left Aberdeen and successfully gone on to better their career. Not really, anyway. Not even a demigod like Russell Anderson enjoyed his time away from Pittodrie.

I look forward to seeing him and Chris Maguire line-up for League Two or Blue Square clubs in the next few years. Maybe they can hook up with Jack Grimmer and Fraser Fyvie.

Another potentially fruitful career of an Aberdeen FC youngster totally wasted. It could easily be argued that nobody has ever left Aberdeen and successfully gone on to better their career. Not really, anyway. Not even a demigod like Russell Anderson enjoyed his time away from Pittodrie.

I look forward to seeing him and Chris Maguire line-up for League Two or Blue Square clubs in the next few years. Maybe they can hook up with Jack Grimmer and Fraser Fyvie.

The only one I can think of, in my time supporting the dons, would be Kevin McNaughton.

It's a shame that Ryan has decided to go elsewhere but that's the reality of football these days.

As has been said, that's football now. The dandies just need to keep building so that they're a more appealing prospect for these youngesters to play for when they mature and also need to make sure they make sensible business decisions with regards sell on clauses, transfer fees, etc. At least that way we're able to sustain the youth system financially, even if not every one of them ends up as a lifelong dons player

Awful news about Fraser. He's a genuine top talent and up there among the very best young players the SPL has churned out in the last few years. Certainly the most entertaining attacking player I've seen at Pittodrie in ages. If he goes south and disappears like Maguire/Diamond/Fyvie etc, it will be a fucking travesty.

He'll probably sign for the Huns.

As has been said, that's football now. The dandies just need to keep building so that they're a more appealing prospect for these youngesters to play for when they mature and also need to make sure they make sensible business decisions with regards sell on clauses, transfer fees, etc. At least that way we're able to sustain the youth system financially, even if not every one of them ends up as a lifelong dons player

how can they build though? the only hope for teams like us is to build with youth but they keep leaving for free or for peanuts at the end of their contracts. if we can't even persuade "fans" like fraser to stay then we've got nothing to build on.

I can't believe after half a season in the spl, he thinks he should be going off to a championship or epl team. crazy. I'm not angry with him or anything, just sad to see a talent leave aberdeen again.

On a related and more positive note, Joe Shaughnessy has signed an extension until 2015. This is good news - he's looked very good the past couple of games and has had to slot in at right back, left back, left wing back and centre half (his natural position). Long-term Anderson replacement, dare I say?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20644055

• Upvote 1

Charlie Mulgrew?

Ah, my apologies; I ought to have been more concise with my point - I meant players that have largely come through the Aberdeen FC youth system.

Kevin McNaughton seems to be the only real exception that anyone can actually put forward. And, to be honest, I would attribute that to a combination of natural talent, determination to succeed, but crucially, the fact that he left Aberdeen an experienced player with numerous full seasons under his belt, in addition to European competition experience (not to mention an international cap for Scotland). He was frequently linked with clubs when he first kicked in to The Dons first team, but he was guided appropriately and amassed quite a lot of appearances for Aberdeen. None of this half-season nonsense from the likes of Fraser, Grimmer, and Fyvie. None of them even completed a full season of appearances for Aberdeen!

• Upvote 5

Ah, my apologies; I ought to have been more concise with my point - I meant players that have largely come through the Aberdeen FC youth system.

Kevin McNaughton seems to be the only real exception that anyone can actually put forward. And, to be honest, I would attribute that to a combination of natural talent, determination to succeed, but crucially, the fact that he left Aberdeen an experienced player with numerous full seasons under his belt, in addition to European competition experience (not to mention an international cap for Scotland). He was frequently linked with clubs when he first kicked in to The Dons first team, but he was guided appropriately and amassed quite a lot of appearances for Aberdeen. None of this half-season nonsense from the likes of Fraser, Grimmer, and Fyvie. None of them even completed a full season of appearances for Aberdeen!

If I could like this twice, I would.

Ah, my apologies; I ought to have been more concise with my point - I meant players that have largely come through the Aberdeen FC youth system

I did think you meant that, but my complete ignorance to Mulgrew's career led me to believe that he did actually come through Aberdeens youth system. I was very wrong.

As you were.

Fraser will be fine. He's a quality player already and only 18. Good enough to start for a lot of Championship sides and he'll only blossom if he ends-up in that league under a good manager. He is far too promising a player to end-up wallowing in someone's reserve team.

Apparently his agent told him to leave Scotland months ago, because of the regular smashings he takes every time he plays. Not surprised at all.

how can they build though? the only hope for teams like us is to build with youth but they keep leaving for free or for peanuts at the end of their contracts. if we can't even persuade "fans" like fraser to stay then we've got nothing to build on.

By continuing to bring through good players and making good use of them while we have them. With the view that it drives up our overall performance levels, gives us a shot at Europe, brings in the fans, etc. That's all you can realistically hope for in terms of development because as it stands just now we can't compete financially with teams down south

A very pleasing afternoon's entertainment at the home of toilet football The Abbey Stadium yesterday after in freezing conditions. Gateshead were swept aside with total ease, only criticism is we should have double our three goal tally but hey ho not complaining, unbeaten in five with four wins. Same opposition next week in the FA Trophy, wonder how many of the hardy 27 away fans who showed up will make it down next week???

Didn't expect that. Especially after the first 15 minutes. 82% possession for City until Rooney scored out of nowhere. Horrid stuff. I don't like Ashley Young but he's having a stormer. Lovely finish for the first from Rooney as well. Totally made a monkey out of Hart. Slot.

Second half is going to drag unless United get a 3rd. The Cup tie last season when they were 3-0 up was torture. City have got it in them to come back, as they are playing some good football, but United are defending well, oddly.

This is one of the biggest games on earth now that City are a financial powerhouse, yet there's still a scattering of empty blue seats at the Council house. Shit club.