aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

I've been reading comments on chelsea/rafa/pep articles and it's amazing how many stupid people there are out there who don't rate Guardiola as a coach.

I don't want this to sound like I'm Giardiola bashing, because I find him to be both handsome and skilled, but his experience as a manager thus far is that he managed the B team and then the first team for Barcelona. That's a team which (in both cases) was full of players who'd been brought up through their academy system. Each of those players had been bred to play the style of football that they'd ultimately play at senior level and was fully indoctrinated into the Barca way.

In addition, the prestige and success of the team meant that they were a huge draw for players, which allowed him to essentially have the pick of the world's best footballers, so any non-Barca disciples were hand picked in order to continue and further the style that they played.

It will be VERY interesting to see whether he can achieve the same level of success with a team where the youth setup isn't as strong and all encompassing and where there are personalities and styles that don't suit his vision.

His experience is limited, and he inherited an incredible squad, though I think he should be given credit for revitalising Barcelona, who were a bit ropey under Rijkaard at times. He brought with him a different style of football which he had implemented in the B team that immediately took off. Barcelona didn't quite play the way they do now before Pep came in. I also think he did very well to transform Messi from a winger into a striker, at the expense of very, very good strikers like Eto'o and Ibrahimovic. That was a bold move. He also did extremely well to get the best out of Iniesta, who seemed to be tipped to leave Barca before Pep took over. he just didn't seem to fit in. Now he's one of their most valuable players.

I agree it will be interesting to see how he does without the power and resources of Barca, but I think he's a very good coach, both his tactics and his ethos. His next club will no doubt be a big, title challenging club, and I reckon he'll do well.

I still well hate Barca though. Dicks.

Incredible post from everyone's favourite football message board/scouse mental asylum, Red, White and Kop:-

He has gone, he can never return.

Goodbye Rafa, and thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all you did. You will always have a place in our hearts, along with Shanks, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish.

I know how much you want to be back here, sorting things out, running things and finishing off what you had started. You were treated so bad, we understood this too late to help you. We are sorry, so very sorry.

But now we must fight on, we must draw strength from our forefathers and face our foes head on, without fear or trepidation. Together we march on, we crave our rightful place at the top of the pile; that place is ours, it is why we are feared and hated. So be it. We exist to be the best, to be a shining example unto others. We do not settle for anything but the best. We are kings.

So I say once more. Thank you Rafa, I wish you well. But should we meet in battle then we shall show you no mercy. It is not love or hate that makes us hungry; it is the desire to be the best. And we will, no matter what, always strive to be the best. For we are kings, and we never surrender.

- I honestly cannot sleep, constantly tossing and turning. Every time I close my eyes, I see his cheery smile and polite wave.

• Upvote 5

at the expense of very, very good strikers like Eto'o and Ibrahimovic. That was a bold move.

I think this is a point that would be interesting if he took over at Chelsea. Guardiola isn't afraid to make bold moves such as the above. One of his first actions when he took over at Barca was to ship out the personalities such as Deco and Ronaldinho (Eto'o was apparently given a second chance until he decided to backchat in training). One thing Chelsea don't lack are bellends in the dressing room so I wonder if he'd wield the axe, which quite frankly would be funny as fuck if Terry got ditched.

Anyway, I hope he doesn't go to Chelsea as Craig Brown can't go on forever so the Dons will be looking for a new coach soon.

Deco was still a great player when he punted him too. Rijkaard didn't seem convinced by Iniesta, but punting Deco I believe was to give the position to Iniesta. Pep seemed to be pretty set on making the spine of the team as homegrown as possible, which was great. He also kept giving chance after chance to Bojan, before he probably finally admitted that he's not really very good at all. Great ethos though.

He could have done that for Chelsea, he could have put together a starting line up of all their academy graduates and young starlets. Josh McEachran, and erm... those other guys.

Aye, I read a book about Barca recently and Iniesta and Messi were on the verge of being shifted out by Rijkaard due to their size. The most disgusting thing was Alex McLeish was close to scoring them both on loan for Rangers apparently but the board told Rijkaard to make up his mind and either play them or put them out. Thankfully he chose to play them and they missed out on a tax free payday.