aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Now that the Champions league is out of the way, surely time for a new thread? I know there's pishy playoffs still to come this weekend, but I don't care about them.

So, will Man Utd actually buy a decent midfielder? Will Man City spend anything at all? Will Liverpool have a new manager by the start of the season? Will Aberdeen actually get relegated? Will Joey Barton continue to be a total bellend?

I think we should have a predictions thread too. I always forget who I said would win the league and get relegated.

Hold on, son, what about the Euros? I know that every year everybody spaffs their load so that they can start the most popular thread on here but it's not the new season yet, or anywhere near it!

the new season thread is usually started after champs league final, euros needs it own thread methinks, sure it and the world cup usually does.

Cambridge made a couple of signings already and both good ones, a few players been shown the door, our manager likes to get his business done early. Hopefully we can build on a promising season. So glad Luton didn't go up, congratulations to York for finally making the promised land after 8 years of tinpot hell. This means along with Kidderminster who were relegated with us in 2005 we are joint second longest serving team in this most tinpot of leagues....

no!!! well not too far from the play offs last season, dodgy run after xmas, got a decent squad but one we got a few injuries we were buggered as have to rely on youth but those lads will have more experience this season. There always seems to be a team bankrolled - Crawley in 2010/11, Fleetwood this season just gone and now Forest Green bloody Rovers! Very tough league to get out of with just 2 promotion places and a heap of former league teams as well!

Did the World Cup have it's own thread? I thought tournament chat just went in the football thread.

Hopefully United will buy Shinji Kagawa and Robert Lewandowski as has been reported. They could still do with a left back and a rock hard defensive midfielder though. City will probably buy Hazard, because they'll pay him £1million a month. Hazard seems like a right cunt anyway, so he'll fit right in with the mutants at Wastelands.

yeah the world cup did have its own thread!

Be interesting to see what the rest do to try and catch up with the Manchester clubs. Lolpool will fall flat on their faces, think the spuds might have a difficult season and wouldn't be surprised to see Norwich and Swansea suffer from second season syndrome. Be funny if West Ham go straight back down but think they will be alright with big Sam at the helm. QPR will be stronger and Joey Barton will self-explode at some point.

Steve Kean will finally get sacked by Blackburn when they struggle for a mid table position. Bolton will go straight back up I think.

As for the SPL they may as well give the title to Celtic now!

Bolton have just lost a ton of players. It'll be interesting to see who they bring in, but if they don't do their business wisely, they might be in the Championship longer than they would want to. It's a shame though. Definitely the most injury ravaged team in the league. They wouldn't have gone down if they were at full strength, or at least had a moderate amount of injuries like everyone else.

Pasted this from the old football thread, as to not keep two football threads going. That'd be silly

Say what you want about Chelsea's performance over the game, one thing they definitely deserved was winning the penalty shoot-out. A finer set of penalties you will never see. I was wincing at the sight of David Luiz's huge run up but he proved me wrong. Really composed finishing all round. Ashley Cole's penalty in particular was brilliant.

I was pleased for Drogba. A great end to a fine career (even though he's got a few years still in him, he's not likely to repeat that). As much as everyone moans about his diving and such antics, he's been an ace footballing personality and on his day is one of the most exciting players to grace the pitch. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and couldn't have hoped for a more fitting end.

Guys...Chelsea are European champions! - that is absolutely nuts. Noone gave them a chance. I bet not a single journo/analyst picked them for winners at the start of the season.

I agree with all of this, although I didn't wince at Luiz's 40 yard run up. I thought it was great. I had a feeling he was going to slam it into the top corner because the lad just oozes confidence. I knew he wouldn't miss. That was a really great penalty. Having the bollocks to put height on a penalty in a shootout of the biggest tournament in club football... Serious tekkers. Cool as fuck.

It was so fitting that Drogba scored the equaliser and the winning penalty. He's the king of cup finals. The header was brilliant. Running away from goal but also towards the ball. So difficult, and to keep the amount of power in the ball as he did. Such a great goal. He had a difficult game with the amount of possession Bayern had, but it was good to see him track back and get stuck in when he could.

I certainly didn't think Chelsea would win the Champions League this season, but I did tip them for it at the very start of last season, after Ancelotti seemed to be the BOSS and Chelsea had a totally piss-take of a season, scoring buttloads of goals. I was wrong.

Chelsea winning the champs league is a bit like when Greece won Euro 2004 but hey fair play to them, Abramovitch only wants another three now the greedy git. Saw a post on facebook from a Man Poo fan who would like to see Drogba vacant that bench warming/Carling Cup role vacated by Michael Owen. Can't see it happening though, he's off to China by all accounts.

yeah my thoughts exactly, he should shut up! No player has a divine right to start a match even the champs league final!

Especially as Torres has proved to be, over the last 15 months or so, a bit of a bottler and poor in front of goal. Drogba's form and recent record is much much better, and the formation worked. Not really sure what he can be so upset about, although people are blowing the story out of proportion.

Woah woah woah hold on now.

Woah on the woah's.

To be honest Drogba's form this season wasn't significantly better than Torres' (Torres had significantly more assists which is pretty important for a lone striker), although arguably both scored very important goals for the club at the arse end of the season (Torres against Barcelona to put them in the final and Drogba in the final).

It'll be interesting to see what happens at Spurs in the summer. I'm sure the majority of players will understand that the CL place was out of their hands at the end but they could've done more collectively through Jan/Feb/March and i don't see Bale leaving this year (probably next year if there's no CL place again). I'm 100% sure Modric is off though i'm sure we'll get a good price for him as he's still on a fairly long contract and it'll be open season if we decide to sell (I know preference would be to sell to Real- Diarra being used as a makeweight apparently). If Modric goes then wages for Adebayor wouldn't be a problem (hence all the speculation the past couple of days) but i really think we need to invest in a creative midfielder (Nick Powell at Crewe would be a good buy long term but we also need a player who can perform right now), although the Hudd should be back in pre-season and his passing and creativity are awesome along with his rocket propelled shots.

If Caulker and Naughton come back from Swansea and Norwich respectively they'll fill some holes in the squad that were obvious in the latter parts of the season and Adam Smith looks pretty handy at RB/LB as well. The youngsters need to get some game time in Spurs shirts this season though in the EPL not just the Euro Cup (Kane, Townsend, Falque and Carroll all looked hand on loan and in the Euro Cup last season). We might get to see the enigma that is Souleymane Coulibaly as well, he's apparantly toughened up and set the NextGen tournament alight last year along with a few goals in the FAYC.

I hope manyoo get Hazard to be honest as I just don't want the oil money boys to get everything their own way this summer.

I don't. He sounds like a boob. He's been a boob all season. Earlier in the season he was rabbiting on about "I only want to move to Spain". They haven't shown any interest, so now he's all like "I'll definitely be playing in Manchester". Now Chelsea have won the Champions League he's on about how Chelsea are now in the frame. He's like a typical glory supporter. If United sign him, no doubt he'll move to Real Madrid, or even City in a couple of seasons time for more money than United can pay. Cut out the middle man and don't bother with him. It's one thing for newspapers to start making bogus rumours, but he's already believing his own hype and pretty much forging a move himself. Can't be doing with that.

Also, he's a winger. With Young, Nani and Valencia, United's limited funds really shouldn't be going on a winger.