aberdeen-music

Motorcycle Safety

I find it strange that car-only road users try and make two wheels transport out to be as horrible as possible. If they encouraged more people to take up motorcycling/cycling, they'd up in less traffic jams, and encounter fewer pot holes.

Heck, they could maybe get home so fast that they wouldn't feel the need to use their mobile phones at the wheel, get all pissed off at their fellow road user or have to push their own (likely relatively poor) driving ability to the limit. Plus, less time on the road means that you're less likely to ruin your paintwork by getting a moped riders brains all over your nice metallic paint.

In an ideal world you've probably got a point but it's a chicken and egg situation. You can't encourage more people to ride bikes because the roads are too dangerous and you can't make the roads safer with the current ratio of cars to bikes. Either that or we just insist everyone rides push bikes like Holland....

Not exactly a Catch 22. Less people driving cars leading to safer roads would create a snowball effect if anything.

You're right in that it's total pie in the sky though. It'd just be way too perfect. Imagine all the other knock on effects: less strain on traffic police, less strain on the NHS thanks to all the regular exercise, all the well toned members of the opposite sex. Shudder.

• Upvote 1

Not exactly a Catch 22. Less people driving cars leading to safer roads would create a snowball effect if anything.

You're right in that it's total pie in the sky though. It'd just be way too perfect. Imagine all the other knock on effects: less strain on traffic police, less strain on the NHS thanks to all the regular exercise, all the well toned members of the opposite sex. Shudder.

Hippy!

• Upvote 2

Perhaps, but it doesnt make it safe, and it pretty much reaks of bikers not respecting the roads or other drivers.

Its legal for me to get head from an 18 year old kid, doesnt make it right ;)

It's a hell of a lot safer, and arguably more respectful. The rider is a lot more visible at the front of a tailback than tucked out of sight between a pair of SUVs. Besides, if a bike just sits in traffic, it might as well be another car clogging up the road in front of you. Combined with a bike's faster acceleration at a roundabout or whatever, filtering to the front means it's another potential obstacle out of the way, moving everybody's journey along faster.

Nothing wrong with filtering as long as you dont do it a too high a speed...

Motorcycles are dangerous but fun... I gave mine up a few years back because I didnt want to die young (or middle aged now). At some point you are likely to be in an accident no matter how careful. If you are on a bike, the chances of you killing yourself in that accident are a lot higher than in a car.

Bad drivers will always be bad drivers no matter what they are taught.

It's the same bad drivers that also lack awareness of other cars too. Their accidents with other cars don't have the same outcome as having a collision with a bike but it is still an accident all the same.

It isn't just a biker related issue it is a road safety issue full stop.

Too many bikers put themselves at further risks by testing unaware drivers by putting bikes where cars would not be.

There is a lot of bad drivers out there, but given the danger of the motorcycle the rider should be even more aware of where not to position his bike.

Too many want to squeeze through assuming all drivers are aware they are coming when they have either approached at silly speeds of just squeezed by the car behind that obstructed the car drivers view just a glance before.

It is a two sided argument.

I was half way across a road and a car tried to drive 'cause it was amber. I held up my hands and he stopped. I walked doubly slow in front of him. I hate bad drivers.

I get this all the time in Dyce, usually sterotypical Audi drivers, they turn into a road to get into their work at too high a speed without indicating (or indicating when they do it, which isnt indicating at all) and beep me when i was already halfway across the road! They have the gall to look at me as if i'm the cunt. They don't like you walking slow afterwards or giving the car a boot.

• Upvote 1

I was half way across a road and a car tried to drive 'cause it was amber. I held up my hands and he stopped. I walked doubly slow in front of him. I hate bad drivers.

I was once the bad car driver in this scenario. After the pedestrian walked away i promptly stalled. Big lols for them, ultimate shame for me. Lesson learnt. Thank you, Karma.

• Upvote 2

So overall we can agree that the majority of other people are dickheads regardless of which form transport they choose, and there will always be dickheads to avoid? Or to summarise, other people are shite?

Glad that conundrum could be solved.

No, not quite. What we've learned is that all road users should be properly taught to respect and be aware of all other road users. Not just focus on the safety of a small minority of road users.

No, not quite. What we've learned is that all road users should be properly taught to respect and be aware of all other road users. Not just focus on the safety of a small minority of road users.

No I think you are right except for the last sentence. The reason why I posted in the first place is the risk of major accidents and harm for bikers is higher. What is a little bump and cosmetic damage to a car can be fatal to a motorcyclist who isn't in the wrong.

No I think you are right except for the last sentence. The reason why I posted in the first place is the risk of major accidents and harm for bikers is higher. What is a little bump and cosmetic damage to a car can be fatal to a motorcyclist who isn't in the wrong.

I appreciate that but if motorcyclists were more aware of the dangers that can be caused by their actions both to themselves and to others as well as the same for drivers everyone would be a little safer. Every road user has the right to safety as long as they are acting safely themselves.

I appreciate that but if motorcyclists were more aware of the dangers that can be caused by their actions both to themselves and to others as well as the same for drivers everyone would be a little safer. Every road user has the right to safety as long as they are acting safely themselves.

I have never once disagreed with this point. I am just trying to point out that I see so many motorists texting/peeling oranges in their car or putting in cds or whatever, things that can distract and usually lead to nothing, occasionally a bump on another car but not everyone has a cage surrounding them. I could be on my bike obeying the law to the letter, your man in the car comes, whoops didn't see you there, I'm not crying over a cracked bumper or a scratch on the paintwork and exchanging insurance details, I could be dead. Can't see anything wrong with trying to educate all drivers a little more. If it saves one life surely it is worth it?