aberdeen-music

Motorcycle Safety

Nice input. Helping educate thick car drivers might help bring down the high incident rates.

Oh fuck off, i obviously agree with you but for god's sake it's blatantly obvious that motorcycles are considerably more dangerous than driving a car. Car drivers should be aware of everything on the road so motorcyclists don't deserve any special treatment and in my opinion a good proportion of them don't do themselves any favours with their interpretation of road rules either.

• Upvote 1

Nice input. Helping educate thick car drivers might help bring down the high incident rates.

At the same time the stupid motorcyclists need to be educated to obey the rules of the road, every single day you see one speeding at crazy speeds, nipping through traffic and various other offenses.

Oh fuck off, i obviously agree with you but for god's sake it's blatantly obvious that motorcycles are considerably more dangerous than driving a car. Car drivers should be aware of everything on the road so motorcyclists don't deserve any special treatment and in my opinion a good proportion of them don't do themselves any favours with their interpretation of road rules either.

So you don't think there should be more question in the test to help educate drivers and help create more awareness for motorcycles? No need for the fuck off. You cunt.

• Upvote 2

At the same time the stupid motorcyclists need to be educated to obey the rules of the road, every single day you see one speeding at crazy speeds, nipping through traffic and various other offenses.

Certainly some are idiots and they will most likely wrap themselves around a lamppost and make the roads a better place. Not all motorcyclists are like that though same with car drivers.

Certainly some are idiots and they will most likely wrap themselves around a lamppost and make the roads a better place. Not all motorcyclists are like that though same with car drivers.

Nope not at all, like always there are a few bad eggs so to speak that give the majority a bad name, it goes for car drivers as well. But i think its important that its not all blamed on car drivers, i have both been on the back of a motor bike and been involved in a very bad accident involving a bike, thankfully i wasnt on it that day but in the car involved. A bike is a death trap, especially at 50/60mph, there is nothing to save you when something goes wrong.

So you don't think there should be more question in the test to help educate drivers and help create more awareness for motorcycles? No need for the fuck off. You cunt.

There should be more questions on all sides to help educate all road users. It was in exasperation, motorcyclists are as at fault as road users as anyone else.

There should be more questions on all sides to help educate all road users. It was in exasperation, motorcyclists are as at fault as road users as anyone else.

OK so why not say that at the start? In my opinion the majority of motorcyclists I know make better drivers and are a lot more road aware. You don't have to sign the petition you know. I'm not forcing you, just posting something that I feel is important. Sorry to have trampled on your dreams by posting something that I hope will prevent more deaths on the road.

In order to raise awareness of motorcyclists on Britain’s roads,

What a fucking moronic sentiment. If you're on a bike, don't drive like a cunt and it'll reduce your risk of getting hurt. If you're driving a car, and are going to drive like a cunt, it doesn't fucking matter what shit they put on the theory test. Road users, as Phil said, should be aware of everything on the road.

Motorcycles are dangerous, if you don't feel safe don't fucking drive one.

xx

Of the three of my mates from school who got motorbikes only one is still alive. Both died in accidents involving no other vehicle and speed was a major factor.

They may be ace fun but they are pretty dangerous. The roads around these parts aren't really the best for bikers either. Lots of potholes, sudden changes in weather, farming vechicles and other slow moving traffic, wild animals and the overall quality of the road surface in the North-east can cause loads of problems.

It's unfair to solely blame car drivers for the high accident rates. Motorcyclists often travel way above the speed limit and overtake quickly and aggressively. This leaves a huge margin for error and not enough time for assessment for a correct and safe overtaking.

I will admit that alot car drivers are responsible for crashes involving motorcycles and some more education on the matter certainly wouldn't go a miss. However with this must come greater education for bikers as well.

I live in a fairly rural area and we encounter quite a lot of 'tourist' bikers who basically come out here because there is no speed cameras and very little police presence. The roads around my village are pretty quiet and pretty straight and the bikers seem to lap this up. The speed some of these guys get upto is completely mental and a few of them have paid a pretty big price for it.

I agree with you wanting to make the roads safer but I do not agree with the approach of car drivers being the ones made out to be at fault.

• Upvote 1

I completely agree that anything we can do to protect any road user should be done, whether they're bike riders or car drivers. In my experience, 90% (and im not exaggerating here) of bikers drive with a blatant disregard for their own safety. They ride through the middle of traffic, sometimes when it's moving, they tailgate, they hang off in your blind zone and they overtake at stupid speeds and on blind corners. I've even seen them overtaking when there is oncoming traffic making it 3 abreast. It's a fucking piss take and it really annoys me that the government constantly runs adverts aimed at getting car drivers to look out for bikers but have done nothing that i can see to stop bikers driving like complete and utter tits.

/rant

• Upvote 1

What a fucking moronic sentiment. If you're on a bike, don't drive like a cunt and it'll reduce your risk of getting hurt. If you're driving a car, and are going to drive like a cunt, it doesn't fucking matter what shit they put on the theory test. Road users, as Phil said, should be aware of everything on the road.

I agree with this to a certain extent. Not driving like a cunt in a car or on a bike will reduce your risk of getting hurt. Spot on. Some car drivers however are not very good at looking out for cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians though and that's the point. They are looking out for big boxes on the roads and can sometimes not look out for the groups I have just mentioned.

OK so why not say that at the start? In my opinion the majority of motorcyclists I know make better drivers and are a lot more road aware. You don't have to sign the petition you know. I'm not forcing you, just posting something that I feel is important. Sorry to have trampled on your dreams by posting something that I hope will prevent more deaths on the road.

Oh the melodrama! I think motorcycles are dangerous, no questions. They're dangerous whoevers driving them, whether they know what they're doing or not. One of my problems with motorcyclists is that it's hard to track them when they're behind you and weaving in and out of traffic and some motorcyclists just seem to lack common sense or have a deathwish. It's just the same as car users though there are a lot of people on the road that shouldn't be driving.

I agree with this to a certain extent. Not driving like a cunt in a car or on a bike will reduce your risk of getting hurt. Spot on. Some car drivers however are not very good at looking out for cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians though and that's the point. They are looking out for big boxes on the roads and can sometimes not look out for the groups I have just mentioned.

I think we're saying the same thing there - cunt drivers cause accidents (regardless of the vehicle they're in.

The point I stand behind is that putting more bike related questions in the theory test will have zero effect, because the cunts will ignore them anyway as soon as they get on the road, and the non-cunts are already aware that they aren't the only vehicle on the road. Although it's not a guarantee that the question will come up in the theory test, I think it's a safe assumption that before a person gets a driving licence they should know that their blindspot should be checked before changing lane, etc.

The only bike-related rule I didn't know about was that it's apparantley illegal to overtake a "fast" motorbike? Or so I'm told anyway...?

xx

I had an issue this morning with a biker in that coming out of the Tyne tunnel, I had to merge into another lane on my right, I had a truck on my left, a car behind me, and when I checked nothing in the lane I was moving into. Started to move over then all of a sudden there was a biker, who refused to slow down any to let me into the lane, and proceeded to have a go at me even though I had no option and he could have easily backed off to let me out.

The theory test is a lot better then it used to be when it was first introduced (see lucky's post about the traffic light sequence) but as with everything, idiots will always be idiots no matter how much education you give them.

• Upvote 2

Its a good idea in principle but like it has been said, people who are inconsiderate drivers are going to remember the answers just to pass and not actually put the theory into practice anyway. I have had a bike since i was 17 so have been driving one for nearly 10 years now. I have never actually been in an accident but by christ even just the last few weeks i have had countless close shaves. Almost all of those were due to people pulling out in front of me. I drive with the preconception that everyone else on the road is a prick and am constantly anticipating it. Same when im in the car too. If i didnt do this pretty sure i would have been wiped out a few times by now.

Bikes do attract idiots though, because they are a lot of fun and go a shit ton quicker than cars. No arguments there.

• Upvote 2

I find it strange that car-only road users try and make two wheels transport out to be as horrible as possible. If they encouraged more people to take up motorcycling/cycling, they'd up in less traffic jams, and encounter fewer pot holes.

Heck, they could maybe get home so fast that they wouldn't feel the need to use their mobile phones at the wheel, get all pissed off at their fellow road user or have to push their own (likely relatively poor) driving ability to the limit. Plus, less time on the road means that you're less likely to ruin your paintwork by getting a moped riders brains all over your nice metallic paint.

They need to change the regulations to make it so that motorcyclists have to be wearing proper gear, other than just a helmet - the amount of people I see wearing a cheap leather jacket, a pair of normal jeans and trainers is ridiculous - these offer no protection whatsoever. Having worked with motorcyclists, most of the attitudes are about "freedom" and driving as fast as they can get away with, and they definitely take the piss on the country roads.

Saying that, I'd love to get a motorbike eventually, so I'm not anti-motorcyclists, just the ignorant ones.