aberdeen-music

Aberdeen sounds of the 60s

Alan Cynic

I've been told that Bob Spence (who helped on Peter Innes' 'Fit like New York?' book) is aiming, with some other folk, to put together an album by Aberdeen bands from the 60s. A fair amount of vinyl has been collected, but he is looking for original studio tapes, or unreleased stuff etc before the musicians involved are too senile/dead to be contacted :) If your grandad/granny was in a local band and can help out with this, or have

photos/memorabilia, then contact Bob via Jim at Drummonds.

• Upvote 1

Guest Tam o' Shantie

a brilliant idea but also one i had a few years ago. think there was a reasonably interesting thread with a few contributions, maybe worth having a look for?

• Upvote 1

I've been told that Bob Spence (who helped on Peter Innes' 'Fit like New York?' book) is aiming, with some other folk, to put together an album by Aberdeen bands from the 60s. A fair amount of vinyl has been collected, but he is looking for original studio tapes, or unreleased stuff etc before the musicians involved are too senile/dead to be contacted :) If your grandad/granny was in a local band and can help out with this, or have

photos/memorabilia, then contact Bob via Jim at Drummonds.

Oooh I'll have to speak to my Granda :)

I can't remember all of his bands names, he's been performing since he was a teenager though - when I was growing up I know he was in Slipstream, and he usually just sings on his own now (covers, not his own stuff as it's just the local pubs). I'm sure he has some photographs at the very least, there's a brilliant one of him in a top hat and suit from when he performed at the beach ballroom.

There were quite a few bands in the Banff area during the 60s, apparently. I'm not sure of the names etc. (I think my brother would probably know, however)

Yeah it's a shame thats not the case these days. Just seems to be people who have retired to the area playing bothy ballads in old sheds these days :( There's a fair few function bands though.

I'll ask my grandad once he get's back from London about bands. He's been to alot of gigs and his brother in law was in a few different bands.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, my grandad said he has a book about the Aberdeen music scene in the 60's, that is full of photos. He's going to have a rummage in the loft to see if he can find any tapes etc... so do you guys want a loan of the book, or do you have something similar already?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...