aberdeen-music

Helicopter down off Aberdeen

This air hostess holds the record for longest fall without a chute, 33,000 ft ! Wiki link

And this is an amazing story of a WW2 airman who survived 22,000 ft Wiki link 2

Remarkable stories.

I followed a few of the links and one section was headed "Incidents and Accidents" and I felt a strong compulsion to add "Hints and Allegations" to it :) (name that song)

Im away in a plane in a couple of months and none of the above puts me off. One of the safest modes of transport and one with a particularly high accident survival rate. 95.7% of the passengers involved in airplane crashes categorized as accidents actually survive. Then, if you look at the most serious plane crashes, that's a smaller number; the survival rate in the most serious kinds of accidents is 76.6%. Mental.

Head between the knees for dental records is a mental claim btw. You bend down and put your hands over your head to prevent whiplash and getting flung about. It also stops you getting bashed round the head with bags and hand luggage. If the crash was bad enough to kill you there is going to be fuck all of you left for them to stick a name tag on!

Blinds being up is to stop them rattling about as you take off and land. Also alot people look out the windows during take off and landing as they find the whole experience a bit disorientating. The counting bodies through the window thing is probably a myth as well. The guys clearing up after a serious accident are going to be doing a pretty thorough job, I doubt that they will be as lazy to just shine a torch through the burnt out carcass of a crashed airplane to determine the body count.

People seem to be harping on about this Bond copter an awful lot though. Alright it was scary but everyone on that helicopter survived. I understand that it must be an unsettlingly experience for offshore workers but it must be reassuring knowing that if something does go wrong you've got a pretty good chance of coming away without a scratch!

Im away in a plane in a couple of months and none of the above puts me off. One of the safest modes of transport and one with a particularly high accident survival rate. 95.7% of the passengers involved in airplane crashes categorized as accidents actually survive

That's the spirit !!!

My first time on a plane was when I went to spain with school. I wanted to take a neat picture of the land below, it was night time. The lights got dimmed and the more panicky among us started, well, panicking. I took a picture with the flash on, someone thought we were gonna crash due to lightning and started screaming. Oh how I loled.

• Upvote 1

My first time on a plane was when I went to spain with school. I wanted to take a neat picture of the land below, it was night time. The lights got dimmed and the more panicky among us started, well, panicking. I took a picture with the flash on, someone thought we were gonna crash due to lightning and started screaming. Oh how I loled.

Haha - quality!

Despite having done some serious air miles via work, most of my journeys are boring at worst, but I did have a similar type of chuckle one time flying home from Baku...

We had already taken off and I was just setting up my laptop to watch a movie, when the stewardess ushered a very fat, very sweaty and extremely terrified looking businessman into the one of the vacant seats next to me.

"You'll be alright now sir" she reassured him

I could see that Chubbs was a long way from "alright", so I said "Are you ok?" ... "No" he whimpered "I hate flying, I just can't do it"

A long painful silence silence ensued and as I returned to my laptop, he asked what I was doing.

"I'm going to watch a movie"

"Does your laptop take two sets of headphones? (it did), because I could watch it with you"

"I don't think so"

"Oh please, I sorry for sounding pushy, but it would take my mind off of things"

"Nah, not a good idea, you wouldn't like THIS movie"

"Please ???"

So I relented and we watched the remake of "Flight of the Phoenix" together.

True story :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There does seem to be a lot of folk complaining about how often it's happening, but if you think about how many helicopter flights there is a day, there's bound to be something that'll happen at some point. Just like flying in an aeroplane. Just thankful that nothing serious occurred and they all managed to get out safely.

It's not an age thing. The CHC chopper was only 5 years old.

It seems that, for whatever reason, the gear shaft cracked leading to a loss of lube oil pumps for the gearbox. I don't know if something like that can be picked up during routine maintenance.

Anyway, I've just read on the BBC that the civil aviation authority have banned the use of the EC225s for over sea operations. However, it doesn't state how long it will last.