aberdeen-music

Local Council Elections

so... what do you think? will cgp and trump be a vote loser for the SNP? will labour pick up those votes and regain the city council? will the greens get more councillors? will the lib dem and tory vote collapse? are you prepared to say who you'll be voting for and why? can you be arsed voting?

i'm not too up on that one. i'm all for tree planting and as we killed all the wolves it means deer need to be controlled as they will just destroy any habitat they overrun. i'd rather they're not shot if possible but trees are much more important in developing a long term sustainable ecosystem. I think the gist is that the trees are unlikely to grow anyway but not sure why they believe that.

i'm not too up on that one. i'm all for tree planting and as we killed all the wolves it means deer need to be controlled as they will just destroy any habitat they overrun. i'd rather they're not shot if possible but trees are much more important in developing a long term sustainable ecosystem. I think the gist is that the trees are unlikely to grow anyway but not sure why they believe that.

Quick summary here -

http://suzannekelly.yolasite.com/resources/EXECUTIVE%20SUMMARY.pdf

More links here -

http://suzannekelly.yolasite.com/

My feeling is that people who are particularly concerned about some of the aforementioned local issues may be more likely to turn out and vote. It is also likely that people concerned about these issues will vote based on these issues. There is a serious chance Labour and the Greens could benefit from this. The alternative scenario is that many people will take the view that all these parties are as bad as each other and will be disillusioned by recent episodes, as well as a memory of longer term events. A third possible scenario, is that people will turn up and put a number next to their traditional party. A fourth scenario, is Aberdeen Journals and some the national media, as well as campaign ads will be hugely influential in deciding who wins.

It is possible that the SNP are beginning to alienate some of their left wing support but they may be attracting enough right wing voters to make up for it. I would suggest this could become a problem for the grassroots of their party, much like the way in which quite a number of party activists abandoned Labour under Tony Blair for the Iraq war and a number of other key issues.

I guess the big question is whether Labour or SNP gain councillors. For me, this election does feel that it will ultimately come down to who is going to be the bigger party in the council out of Labour and the SNP. I am certainly not happy with the way things have gone under the SNP-led administration. In the event of a Labour/SNP coalition, I have little idea what that would mean future of the CGP. Which reminds me, out of the 13 Councillors who voted for the CGP, only 3 are standing for re-election. Whatever happens, there will be a lot of new councillors.

For me, as a voter (first time in Aberdeen City, previously in the Shire). The City Garden Project is the number one key issue as I think the potential implications if it goes horribly wrong financially or otherwise are so bad that it eclipses all other issues. I told myself that I would never vote Labour again after the Iraq War, but for this council election - both Labour candidates, as well as a former Labour candidate will be getting numbers beside their names from me. I haven't decided who my first choice candidate is yet, but it will probably be Green as they are the party I trust the most with their stance over CGP and broadly agree with their sentiments on most issues.

• Upvote 2

Another thing which I believe may be influential in the outcome of the election is: I suspect the SNP may have a stupid amount of money at the moment and will have the most prominent campaign. They've been sucking up to a wealthy business elite at local, as well as national level and this week, we learn of Murdoch also. They have gained some powerful supporters along the way. The independence or devo-max referendum is the number one issue for the SNP as a party and the rest of their policies probably only loosely bind them together - especially since gaining power and moving distinctively to the right. They are going to need a lot of money to win a proper independence referendum and will make reassurances to concerned business and political interests in order to stand a greater chance.

Kevin Stewart MSP, who isn't even standing for election at the moment sent out ads in Aberdeen City this week. I'd think that's the sort of thing you typically only do if you have money to spare and not for a party that has to watch their spending particularly tightly. His claims about the alleged success of his time in as an Councillor in Aberdeen don't add up considering the amount the debt of Aberdeen City Council increased greatly when he was a Councillor, in addition to a number of other high profile embarrassments. His manner is also a particularly unpleasant and rude from what I have seen - classic pundit politician.

• Upvote 1

thanks, if that's all correct about the trees then it does seem a pretty pointless exercise and another waste of money by ACC.

For what it's worth, I'll be voting Green. The only party who seem to have honest politicians just now and at least have some sense of right from wrong. Good chance of getting a councillor elected in Stonehaven too.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty disillusioned with most politicians and agree with Dave about the relative integrity of Green Party. I wonder how long it'll take to turn them into bumholes too. In politics I hate the how they love flogging a dead horse, from lying cheats, the general set up of the political system to their own egos. As individuals they don't even own their own views. Terrible way to run things.

I've never missed any election, local, regional, UK wide, Scottish Parliament and referendums since my first vote in the referendum in 1979.

I'l be voting SNP, though I've come to the conclusion that council elections should be non political but i realise thats a pipe dream nowadays.

Its a STV election, so you get to rank your preferences.

Dirty Tory, eh?

In case that was directed at me, the reason I don't want to talk about it because I've got nothing to say. Wholly uninspired by the whole charade this time, but I'll make up my mind probably the day before, based upon the false hopes and empty promises that have come through my letter box.