aberdeen-music

Drummer for drum and bass project needed

Mr A

Some explanations:

Yes - I play bass guitar.

No - I don't like techno or drum 'n' bass music.

Yes - It is a project for real drummer and bassist. You know - groove, fat riffs, playing with some loops, drum and bass solos etc.

Maybe I should call it bass and drum project?

• 1 month later...

some old jams from 2010 on; http://www.myspace.com/phatphilsphunk/music/songs/echo-dream-67276614

bits from jams with various peoples, none of this stuff was planned, just playing around with the grooves...

I only sat down behind my kit again on Tuesday, the first time in over a year, I've been working with my practice pads straight thru 2011... Phil

oh! and also I use a Korg Wave Drum, and tap in some loops on the fly to drum over, I've got a bit recorded but never bother loading it onto myspace... techno dunce...

Mr. A, p.m. me your email address and I'll send it over if you want, I plan to record some drums this weekend, now I've built the snares and have the cymbal set-up just right...

Jojo and nerve are great but droid is right those beats are crazy swish, he is the best in the business and to get a sound anywhere near that level and to even begin to understand what the hell he is doing requires years and years and years of practice, good luck though.

I only used Jojo Mayer and his band Nerve as a communication tool to talk to Mr. A, because he's not into Drum n' Bass or Techno as neither am I, to find out if we had a common idea about a groove, I like and play experimental/fusion/funk/blues sort of a thing, often without a script or play list, Echo Dream was at a jam when JC was messing around with his bass effects pedal and it just kicked off for 9 minutes, the song O'mage was one night at a Progadelica jam, I had heard a recorded version of the song earlier that day, and just went for it trying feel the bands changes, but also starting to develop my own expression of their music. Phunky Thang and Breaze on the Sea, were actually second run throughs from an earlier jam with a couple of the best musicians I've ever played with, Last Broken Promise was from a failed 'Ocean Size' 'type' jam...

And my answer to 'Droid' about having a 'Bad Ass' should have included the line especially after a heavy curry, maybe I should have said I've got a 'Bad Attitude' instead, see Shawn Pelton and the House of Deabilo...

but if we never dared to dream and always kept our heads ducked down behind the parapets it would be a much sadder world.

So in conclusion, I love music beyond everything else in this fucked up world, and not for one moment would I ever claim to be in the same league as the excellent Jojo Mayer, not even on the same bus, but I always want to be involved with the best sound I can find, (just ask any of the bands I've left because they were dragging their feet), and I put in a lot of time 'woodsheding' my rudiments and stick control, and dynamics based on the playing of the likes of; Mike Clark, Jack de Johnette, Joe Morello, Simon Phillips, Jojo Mayer, Benny Greb, Carter Beauford, Steve Smith, Johnny Rabb, Shawn Pelton, Stanton Moore, Zigabou, Bill Bruford, Will Calhoun, and on and on; in fact any inspirational musician that helps me to add my own two pence worth to the pot, as in Jimi, Miles, Herbie, Jeff Beck, Mingus etc...