aberdeen-music

Trading forum

Old Gold

Location is a good idea, also unsure of the communist joke. Please explain.

In communism the select elite got everything while the masses were left in poverty. If the subscribers get the choice of everything first we will be left with the scraps.

Location is only really essential if people don't live or work in Aberdeen or maybe for selling bigger items like amps/cabs IMO. Nearly everyone here does actually still have a connection to the city which makes guitar/pedal/small item sales incredibly easy.

In communism the select elite got everything while the masses were left in poverty. If the subscribers get the choice of everything first we will be left with the scraps.

Location is only really essential if people don't live or work in Aberdeen or maybe for selling bigger items like amps/cabs IMO. Nearly everyone here does actually still have a connection to the city which makes guitar/pedal/small item sales incredibly easy.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't that the corrupt communism as opposed to the true theory of communism? Also I find location helps me decide on whether to go for an item, if it is in Banchory or the other side of town for example I need to work out how to move it.

• Upvote 2

Forgive my ignorance but isn't that the corrupt communism as opposed to the true theory of communism? Also I find location helps me decide on whether to go for an item, if it is in Banchory or the other side of town for example I need to work out how to move it.

Yes... which is why I posted Stalin and not Karl Marx. There has never been a non corrupt communist regime. It's an interesting ideology but in reality the greed of mankind means it will never work.

Pictures should be mandatory on high value items where condition varies a lot such as amps/guitars. Maybe not as important on pedals and other items which are usually of a lower value.

• 7 months later...

I once tried to sell a Rat pedal, and some fucknut came in to the thread and just said how shit new Proco gear is. Someone slagging off gear is bad form. They should be banned, and their home address should be made public so the boys can go round and give the lad a few gut punches for being a mardy prick. Besides, new RAT pedals are pretty decent, so the guy was just being a jumped up cunt.

Anyway. Not everything sold here is gonna be some vintage and boutique gear. People are gonna sell bedroom combos and strat copies.

Let them sell. Don't be a dick,

• Upvote 1

I was pretty pissed off as I'd watched several eBay auctions and looked up a few classified ads for the same guitar and the price I put up was kinda a low average of what I'd seen online. I was even offering to deliver it and I don't exactly live a 2 minute drive from Aberdeen. I also said I'd accept offers and trades. I was really put off selling stuff on here as I can't be assed with the hassle.

I agree that if you've done your research and settled on a reasonable price, that's out of order. However, it grips my shit when I see people who clearly haven't done their research asking an essentially much as-new price for their gear. As long as people aren't being total dicks about it, suggesting a price adjustment could in some cases be beneficial to the seller and put them on the right track to a sale.

But this is all small cheese. The main problem is people not knowing how to successfully post up glossy pics. Everyone loves those.

Yeah I totally agree that if a price is unreasonable then it's not out of line to ask for justification or to point out that the gear sells new for the same price etc. However I think shit like "£300 for a KOREAN strat??! Bloody knock-off pish! I'll give you £5 because I'm generous and love SHITE gear!!" makes you a dick, the post should be deleted by the mods and the user warned/banned.

It's also worth noting that it'd be really easy for someone with an alt. account to troll a FS thread, drive off all interest and then send a lowball offer from their "real" account to rip the seller off... Just a thought.

xx

As long as people aren't being total dicks about it, suggesting a price adjustment could in some cases be beneficial to the seller and put them on the right track to a sale.

Yeah, and one is being a dick if one does it publicly. It's like strolling onto a car dealer's forecourt with a megaphone and proclaiming that their prices are too high. Suggest your price adjustment in a PM (or in a private, one to one conversation with the salesperson).

Yeah, and one is being a dick if one does it publicly. It's like strolling onto a car dealer's forecourt with a megaphone and proclaiming that their prices are too high. Suggest your price adjustment in a PM (or in a private, one to one conversation with the salesperson).

If it's a reasonable ad with a price that's a little ambitious then I agree, but if someone's selling (for example) as 60's re-issue squier and advertising it as a 60's Fender Bass and charging accordingly, I'd say it's worth making the clarification public to prevent any potential buyers from being suckered. GREY AREAS. GRAY AREAs. I don't know how to spell grey/gray.

xx

I'd like to make a rule where any tickets for sale are at face value or cheaper. It's sort of an unwritten rule at the moment, and anyone who's tried touting here in the past has pretty much been called a cunt until they fucked off. But I'd like to propose it is made a proper rule.

The only shit thing with that is, if you bought it for a sold out gig on ebay and you were over the face value, and then for some reason you can't go then you're losing money by trying to sell it on here. I agree with not taking the piss, and not for people who make a regular thing of it.

A certain amount over face value perhaps?

I needed a ticket for the Killers at AECC a few years ago, having given mine away to my girlfriend's little sister thinking I couldn't make it. When it turned out I could, tickets were like gold dust, and I had to buy a pair from eBay for £150 (face value 30 quid each). I sold the other one for £75, I felt like a total cumstain doing it, but I had to make some of my money back since by then I'd bought 4 and spent over £200.

Bro story, cool.

• 1 year later...

Over priced tickets are one of my pet hates. But we set ourselves up for it really. If everyone just said to sellers that they should not do it, and not pay the seller the rip off price, then it might change. Can someone form R&B, II Music or any other shop please clarify something for me?

When was the last time someone came in to their shop and looked at the MRP of something and said 'yeh dude, I'll pay 4xtimes that for it...just give me it now'

I doubt that ever happens...so why do it with tickets. At the end of the day, after the gig date they are basically worthless (unless signed etc) even then it would take years to raise enough in value.

Guitars/gear is different. Because it may gain in value as it gets older and classed as 'vintage'.

Am I speaking shite here?.....I'm tired!