aberdeen-music

Trading forum

Old Gold

It's great to see the trading forum full of new people selling loads of nice gear, but most of the pitches are bloody terrible. Might I suggest a sticky thread giving advice to potential stuff-floggers? Maybe with a little walkthrough regarding a simple way to upload photos and the suggestion of including ballpark prices, condition, age etc. Might help a few folk sell some wares and help a few folk score some sweet stuff.

• Upvote 2

It's great to see the trading forum full of new people selling loads of nice gear, but most of the pitches are bloody terrible. Might I suggest a sticky thread giving advice to potential stuff-floggers? Maybe with a little walkthrough regarding a simple way to upload photos and the suggestion of including ballpark prices, condition, age etc. Might help a few folk sell some wares and help a few folk score some sweet stuff.

Yes, couldn't agree more. Selling guidelines are pretty much a must on most forums i frequent. Can't stand the coy "make me an offer" sort of thing either.

• Upvote 3

This is lifted straight from another forum I frequent - the trading forums rules and FAQ:

Rules:

• Items that are not allowed to be sold here under any circumstances: Firearms, controlled substances, counterfeit items. All sales are subject to approval by site administration. If you are not sure that the item you wish to sell or use as a trade with another member is appropriate, please contact a moderator, or site administration via the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.
  • No Ebay or other auctions. Threads started with the intent to advertise an auction will be deleted. Links to auctions will only be allowed if posted as a reply to an existing (at least one week old) thread originally advertising the direct sale of the same item.
  • Mark Sold Items If your item sells, close your thread (see above)
  • NO Piggybacking Do not mention your item for sale in another's thread. Only list your items in threads you start.
  • Excessive Bumping of Ads is not permitted. Bumping of an ad threads is allowed under the following conditions;
    Delete all prior bumps, and only bump once per 24 hours.
    A bump is not just a post that says “bump” or “Monday morning bump” or “bumpaboo”, but ANY POST that does not feed the thread with relevant information.
    Adding of pictures is a valid reason to bump your forsale thread, as long as it falls within the above rules - no more than once per 24 hours and delete prior bumps beforehand.
  • Please don't attempt to help non-SMs dodge the rules by posting their gear for sale. TalkBass For Sale ads are only to be used for listing a Supporting Member's personally owned gear.

• No surcharges on an item are allowed, this includes the 3% for Paypal. That fee is the seller's responsibility, not the buyer. Paypal's usage agreement specifically prohibits this.
  • Do not request a payment be sent through Paypal as a personal payment or gift. This leaves the buyer with no recourse should there be a problem - Paypal does not allow for contesting gift transactions. This is also against the Paypal usage agreement, and can result in action taken against both the buyer's and the seller's accounts.

--Please refer to this announcement for more regarding Paypal transactions : http://www.talkbass.com/forum/announcement.php?f=126&a=230 --

• If you post a "feeler" ad, you MUST post a price with it. This is not an auction site - If you want people to "bid" on your item, take it to ebay. Trade feeler threads are allowed, but if it turns into a FS thread, seller MUST post a price or the thread will be immediately closed or deleted.
  • Posting a price does NOT mean something frivolous. For example, posting a bass for sale with a sale price of $1,000,000 will not fly.
  • If you are selling multiple instruments concurrently, or if you have several threads posted, please consider consolidating your items into one thread ("Fender XyZ and Warwick AbC FOR SALE!").

Seller FAQ's

Full disclosure

The TalkBass classifieds operate to a large degree on trust. As such, *any* known material modifications to a bass - including, but not limited to :pickup / preamp replacement, neck change - MUST be disclosed at sale time.

Buyer FAQ's

Q: What should I do if I’m interested in an item or have a question?

A: Reply to the post or contact the seller via e-mail or private message. NOTE: using the “Report this post to a Moderator” link will NOT contact the seller.

Q: If I'm 100% sure I'm buying an item, can I post a message saying the item is sold?

A: No one but the seller can say whether their item is sold or not.

Q: How do I know if a price is negotiable?

A: Usually a seller will say if his price is an “Asking price” (open for negotiation) or if it’s “firm” (meaning that’s the final price). “OBO” means “or best offer”, meaning the seller is willing to sell the item for the closest offer to their original asking price.

Q: What does it mean when someone posts "bump" in a reply?

A: As you know, when a reply is posted in a thread, the thread is moved back to the top of the Forum. If an advertised item is still for sale after a while and getting buried by newer threads, the seller will sometimes "bump" the thread back up. Since there's nothing to add, the thread author will simply type "bump".

Q: What if someone’s asking price is too high?

A: Sellers are entitled to ask any price they want for their item. Please do not contact a seller regarding their prices unless you’re interested in purchasing the item. Also, do NOT question a seller's price in a For Sale thread. Making offers via PM or email is OK, but thread interference (debating price publicly) will not be tolerated.

As an addendum to this rule, please remember : The seller is under no obligation to weigh an instrument for you. In fact, s/he is under no obligation to field any of your questions. S/he is under no obligation to cater to your wishes, and S/he is most definitely under no obligation to accept your offer, whatever it may be. It may be considered in her/his best interest to do so to conduct a successful transaction, but it is by no means required, and should not be expected.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should members disrupt sellers' threads by posting challenging, derrogatory posts, or in fact post anything that is not either directly related to purchasing the item advertised or at the very least specifically complimentary, to the seller or the item being sold. To do otherwise is to risk a trolling infraction.

These threads are NOT discussion threads. Your opinion is irrelevant and unwelcome unless -specifically- asked for.

There are -thousands- of items up for sale on the tb classifieds. If you don't like a particular seller, or a particular item, don't post about it, don't comment about it, don't pm the seller about it. Just move on to something else that more acutely strikes your fancy.

Q: Does TalkBass provide any form of buyer/seller protection in the event of a problem?

A: Transactions between TalkBass members are done at their own risk. TalkBass administrators and moderators do not guarantee that the transactions members choose to engage in are safe and that the descriptions provided by sellers are accurate. Members who choose to buy/sell gear through the TalkBass Classifieds understand that TalkBass, its administrators and moderators are not liable for any loss that may occur due to the use of the Classifieds Forum. But if loss does occur, make sure you leave the other user negative feedback, to help out the TB populus when dealing with this user in the future.

xx

• Upvote 1

I like most of those guidelines. Not sure we should ban linking to ebay auctions though as some things just don't sell here so it seems fair enough to also list it on ebay as long as they offer to close the auction if someone meets the price advertised on here.

I would also add no killing someone's thread by questioning the price being advertised. Haggling is fine but there's been a lot of instances of uninterested parties slagging off the advertised price on here and killing sales. It's up to the seller to choose a price that's appropriate, if they don't then people won't buy it.

• Upvote 1

I like the sevenstring.org guidelines, obviously they have a few extras we don't need but they can be taken away. All posts there must follow the same format. There is no long distance posting needed here so references/location aren't an issue.I suggest this and if people are open to trades put that in the price section.

Item being sold (includes description of condition):

Modifications (if any):

Accessories (hardshell case etc):

Price (firm/obo):

Pictures:

I hate the SS.org selling guidelines. When trying to sell ym LTD and my HK and i had a right fucking mess trying to even get it through because of them. Everytime i posted the thread it just got deleted with "read the rules" put in it's place. So made another thread, same thing happened again, made another thread, same thing happened again. Each time checking the rules and guidelines. never even telling me which rules i hadn't followed. Shitcunts. the lot of them. This was partially down to the mods, but those rules are just too specific.

You have to be a member for 6 months and have a minimum number of posts. It's listed as 100 but I've seen plenty of people there get through with less. I think the main thing is you have to be an active member of the community and not just someone who signs up to sell something then clear off. It's maybe too strict but a) it means no crappy listings with no information and b) as most of their sales involve paypal and postage (quite a lot of these being international) they really do want a trusted community who won't try to scam each other.

I'm not saying we should copy them exactly (see the information I changed in my post) or be as strict at enforcing post counts/deleting incomplete listings as this is a local site but I like the way they format things and the seller knows exactly what to post and the buyer gets nice, clear and concise information.

Has anyone actually tried to sell firearms or replica guns? I think thats unlikely and therefore unnecessary, we are not in the US...

Also I dont see anything wrong with putting up a link to e-bay or Gumtree (owned by e-bay) etc maybe just some advice on how to sell and describe as suggested by first poster.

Guest davetherave
This is lifted straight from another forum I frequent - the trading forums rules and FAQ:

Rules:

• Items that are not allowed to be sold here under any circumstances: Firearms, controlled substances, counterfeit items. All sales are subject to approval by site administration. If you are not sure that the item you wish to sell or use as a trade with another member is appropriate, please contact a moderator, or site administration via the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

xx

Damn, that means I cant sell my crate load of AK47's I have lying in the garage ;)

Good thread, I think price and condition of item should be essential, location might help as well?

If all sales are to be approved by a mod does that mean us supporters could get a look at it before the mere members like I suggested in the super secret lounge forum? Would be awesome to walk away with all the good stuff whilst the members battle it out for the scraps!

You're not Captain Birdseye at all... you are

stalin-bio.jpg

Is this forum suddenly communist? I'm not so sure about location. Nearly everyone that posts here is in Aberdeenshire and while I can't drive, a deal where both parties are non drivers is probably quite rare.

• Upvote 1

You're not Captain Birdseye at all... you are

stalin-bio.jpg

Is this forum suddenly communist? I'm not so sure about location. Nearly everyone that posts here is in Aberdeenshire and while I can't drive, a deal where both parties are non drivers is probably quite rare.

Location is a good idea, also unsure of the communist joke. Please explain.