aberdeen-music

Clicks and Pops using Condensor mic

MC Nice Andrew

I've only noticed this recently, I've done a few sessions recently where upon playback the audio will click and pop intermittantly. It's not the most noticiable thing in the world, though I notice it and it annoys the fuck out of me.

Using and RV6 with standard 48v power through an EMU 1820. no other preamps or outboard stuff. Doesn't do it all the time, maybe after about 30 mins of use. Dynamic mics are fine, most of my cables are bought within the last 6 months.

Any thoughts?

Na bro, been using a pop shield for as long as i can remember. It's isn't sibilance or plosives that are causing it - its more like and electrical click - as though I was turning the phantom power on or off, rather than proximity distortion. Wouldn't occur with acoustic guitar. Thanks though. Any thoughts on clocking issues? I've read somewhere that it could be latency/clock issues, but it doesn't make sense for it to be only happing with condenser mics and not dynamics and after only a certain amount of time.

Industry standard for mastered cds is 44.1k/16bit, recording at 96k offers higher resolution for dfferent processing formats etc, but thats a different topic. In theory recording at 96k should eliminate jitters such as this. If i get a chance ill post up a sample so you can hear what im talking about. It's not as though I've changed something and its begun, seems to be like somethings shorting and damaging the recorded artefact - post recording.

Edit: I may have just figured it out...whats the possiblity of your computer case interfering? I got a dodgy usb input that i admitantly haven't bother to disconnect - i touched it the other day and my comp just shut down. could be on to a winner.....

Edit #2: Reinstallation of drivers isn't a bad idea either. Fanx!

If it's only clicking with condenser mics I'd be thinking it's a phantom power issue somewhere along the line (although I've no idea why it'd only happen after 30 mins of use?). If you've tried different cables then I'd try to get hold of another condenser mic to rule that as being the sly offender. If you've got a passive DI box (with an "on" light) you could use that to check for any flickering action too.