aberdeen-music

Smartphones

paime

Take the iphone IMO. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is being unveiled on the 3rd of May so it will be out in the next month or two, at which point prices of the S2 will plummit. Plus pretty sure the iphone is better in almost every way aside from maybe the wifi tethering.

At the end of your contract, you'd probably still get a couple of hundred pounds selling the iphone too!

I like my HTC. It does everything well except actual phonecalls, which sound shite. But who uses their phone as a phone these days? It's not 1999. Nobody wants to hear someone elses voice right in their ear anymore. If you need to reach someone, you write on their Facebook wall or invite them to a game on Xbox live. Pfft. Phones.

If you do use your phone to make "calls" or "wildly rude interruptions of someone's personal time and space" then don't get a HTC.

I'm due an upgrade next month, but the Galaxy s2 will cost me £180...whereas iPhone 4S 64Gb will cost me £80. Is there really that much between them?

I said it last night but do some bargaining with the fuckers. A friend got a free 36" HDTV (the exact one that I have in my living room and paid almost £300 for) from O2 because he threatened to leave the network. Mental.

I'm due an upgrade next month, but the Galaxy s2 will cost me £180...whereas iPhone 4S 64Gb will cost me £80. Is there really that much between them?

What's your monthly cost going to be as well? There's more leeway to get a cheaper contract with an android phone so it might be the better deal over the life of the contract.

For anyone wondering I did indeed order the One S and it arrived today. Got it from http://www.buymobilephones.net/ for £21 a month with 100mins+unlimited texts+750MB internet on T mobile. Basically the exact same as my old SIM only contract with a just released £410 phone for £5 a month extra. The big networks are only offering it free on £30+ contracts!

As for the company, was a delay as apparently the address I gave didn't match what my bank holds (which it really should have - I phoned customer services to check the address and it was correct) so I had to scan a letter from my bank and email it to them and it was then approved. I originally applied for the phone on Thursday and arrived in my hand today though so not too bad a delay.Other than that no problems at all with the company. Other than if my phone breaks in the next month shouldn't have to deal with them again either as from there on out phone problems are dealt with by manufacturer and my contract is with T mobile. Based on that I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a good value contract. They have loads of tariffs available with every company so even if you want a more expensive one with more minutes and all inclusive internet it should still be cheaper than elsewhere.

There is another company that was offering the same deals - Mobile Phones Direct but all the review sites suggested they had shocking customer service and things could go missing. Buy Mobile Phones feedback was much better and the main criticisms directed at them were over the 'free gift/cashback deals' which I was determined to avoid! They still have better ratings than a lot of the larger companies such as phones4u and mobiles.co.uk(Carphone Warehouse brand).

Hopefully that helps people who may be looking for a new contract soon.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have the HTC One V? I've had mine for about 2 months and I'm having a really weird intermittent faullt with it. It's like there's a vertical dead line all the way up the screen, in line with the C, F and T, and when I'm typing those letters it doesn't recognise it but registers the keys on either side of them (eg when I press C it will type XV). It's also affecting the ability to swipe from screen to screen and drag things, as when you get to that point in the screen it just stops. Odd part is, it only happens occasionally, it will work fine for a few days, then fuck up for a few days, which would suggest a software issue as opposed to a hardware problem, but I can't see anything obvious that's triggering it. Searching the symptoms online brings nothing, which is weird and makes me think it's maybe one of my apps that's causing it.

Are you using the HTC sense keyboard? If so it's gash anyway. Download a trial of swiftkey 3 from the google play store. It's magnificent. That will tell you if it is a software issue with the HTC keyboard anyway. If that doesn't solve the problem I'd just take it to the store where you get it and ask them to have a look - no harm doing so if it is still under warranty.

Are you using the HTC sense keyboard? If so it's gash anyway. Download a trial of swiftkey 3 from the google play store. It's magnificent. That will tell you if it is a software issue with the HTC keyboard anyway. If that doesn't solve the problem I'd just take it to the store where you get it and ask them to have a look - no harm doing so if it is still under warranty.

I'll give that a try, thanks. I don't think it's necessarily the keyboard though as the same spots are dead on the screen when I'm doing other things too. I tried taking it back to the store but they just blew me off. Told me to update the software, which I did, and do a factory reset, which I did but no improvement. The company I'm with are arsey about repairs, you have to send it away four times with the same fault, which they have to be able to replicate, before they'll replace it. So I figure it's probably easier to just try and fix it myself because that could take months and it's away for up to 10 days at a time. That's 40 days without a phone.

it should be under "about phone" in phone settings.

most recent is 4.something ics.

edit: yeh dude i just read this whole thread if you still using the s2 it should definately be under what i said.

and i think the s2 runs on 2.3 ginerbread.

if its still stock standard! :]

on another note does anyone here root phones?

What's the latest Android OS? Im not sure which one i have just now (it's just the default which came with the phone when i bought it 4 months ago) and don't know how to check!

4.0.3 I think. I'm running the most up to date ice cream sandwich and that's what I'm showing.

Go into settings > about > software information.

Sounds like the customer service from your company is awful. If they keep maintaining it is a software problem when it is not maybe fire off an email to HTC? The onus is very much on the company who you took out the contract with for the first 12 months to offer you support but if they aren't doing that it may be worthwhile just seeing if HTC will answer a customer support email or maybe help fix it.

The newest version of android is jelly bean (4.1) and is supposed to be much faster and smoother than ICS. I keep forgetting to update but ICS is smooth enough for me. I never really notice any lag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Android_4.1.x_Jelly_Bean

Sounds like the customer service from your company is awful. If they keep maintaining it is a software problem when it is not maybe fire off an email to HTC? The onus is very much on the company who you took out the contract with for the first 12 months to offer you support but if they aren't doing that it may be worthwhile just seeing if HTC will answer a customer support email or maybe help fix it.

The newest version of android is jelly bean (4.1) and is supposed to be much faster and smoother than ICS. I keep forgetting to update but ICS is smooth enough for me. I never really notice any lag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Android_4.1.x_Jelly_Bean

Unless you have a Google Nexus device, you won't get Jelly Bean, you should be thankful that you have ICS, should be 4.0.3/4 failing that it'll be Gingerbread 2.3.

it should be under "about phone" in phone settings.

most recent is 4.something ics.

edit: yeh dude i just read this whole thread if you still using the s2 it should definately be under what i said.

and i think the s2 runs on 2.3 ginerbread.

if its still stock standard! :D

on another note does anyone here root phones?

I can root phones, but am in Edinburgh/Newcastle so not much help to you unless you happen to be visiting either.

I really wouldn't recommend trying it as there is a possibility of bricking your phone, plus once rooted you can have issues when updating to the new flavour of Android and will have to root it again.

Unless you have a Google Nexus device, you won't get Jelly Bean, you should be thankful that you have ICS, should be 4.0.3/4 failing that it'll be Gingerbread 2.3.

I can root phones, but am in Edinburgh/Newcastle so not much help to you unless you happen to be visiting either.

I really wouldn't recommend trying it as there is a possibility of bricking your phone, plus once rooted you can have issues when updating to the new flavour of Android and will have to root it again.

This was my very next question. My girlfriend is looking at rooting her phone but we're not really sure what it entails. She has an HTC which apparently has a major design flaw, you can't save any apps or anything on the SD card, just on the phone. The phone has a tiny memory so it runs out of memory in no time, it can only hold three or four apps. She read that if she roots it, she can override the Android programming and save things directly on to the card. How hard is it to do, and what's the likelihood of bricking it?

This was my very next question. My girlfriend is looking at rooting her phone but we're not really sure what it entails. She has an HTC which apparently has a major design flaw, you can't save any apps or anything on the SD card, just on the phone. The phone has a tiny memory so it runs out of memory in no time, it can only hold three or four apps. She read that if she roots it, she can override the Android programming and save things directly on to the card. How hard is it to do, and what's the likelihood of bricking it?

I use this site as my go to for all android related messing about. Once unrooted you can install apps2sd or something similar (although ICS and above have the function included as stock, go to settings > apps > click on an app and see if move to SD/USB is an option). You need to install software on your computer and run some commands via cmd, and if done wrongly (mispelling command/wrong package) it can turn the phone into a brick (although you usually can recover from it). Also you really need to make sure you have everything important backed up, as unlocking and rooting the phone can wipe everything completely. I have backups of my phone on my pc,laptop and work pc. It's also using a clean sd card to do it, so you don't fuck that up either.

I'm sure from this post you already know this, but the company I've got my phone with? Yeah, I work in their customer care department. I spend all day fielding calls from people stuck with faulty phones!

I did already know that. I was attempting to be humourous.

You should just shout at the guy in the desk next to you.

• Upvote 1