aberdeen-music

Smartphones

paime

check in settings > about phone > system update, hit the check now button and see if it finds anything, if it doesn't it may be due to your phone company not releasing the update until they have put their bloatware on and tested to make sure it works. Having had a quick look, there is a Jelly Bean update out in the wild for the SII, but with warnings of bricking.

yeh i dont think i'm confident enough to root a phone lol though i did run cfw on my psp :D

anyone here good with motherboards?

i need a new sim card reader which pretty much means i need to dismantle the whole phone? :$

i asked the market and they said they dont do it but i know they could manage it with their eyes shut if they wanted to.

rooting unlocks the kernel of the Android OS (think Windows folder in your C drive in XP/7) and allows you to install software that can access and alter files in the kernel. You can use it to install adblocking apps, backup apps, uninstall pre-installed apps that your phone provider/manufacturer has pre-installed on the phone and any other app that needs access to the system files. It's called rooting as the master account in Unix/Linux is the root account.

To root your phone, you have to first download the USB drivers for android from the Software Development Kit provided by Google, then you have to enable your computer to talk to your phone via command line and install certain packages (have a look at http://forum.xda-developers.com/). Once you have pushed the packages to the phone, you then have to go into the phone recovery mode (there are different ways of doing this depending on your phone Galaxy SII is vol up+home+power). this takes you into recovery mode where you can install the packages.

One important point, if when you switch your phone on, at the bottom of the screen you have a locked padlock then you will need to unlock your phone to root it, pic below is an unlocked phone.

samsung-galaxy-nexus-review-zach4.jpg

rooting unlocks the kernel of the Android OS (think Windows folder in your C drive in XP/7) and allows you to install software that can access and alter files in the kernel. You can use it to install adblocking apps, backup apps, uninstall pre-installed apps that your phone provider/manufacturer has pre-installed on the phone and any other app that needs access to the system files. It's called rooting as the master account in Unix/Linux is the root account.

To root your phone, you have to first download the USB drivers for android from the Software Development Kit provided by Google, then you have to enable your computer to talk to your phone via command line and install certain packages (have a look at http://forum.xda-developers.com/). Once you have pushed the packages to the phone, you then have to go into the phone recovery mode (there are different ways of doing this depending on your phone Galaxy SII is vol up+home+power). this takes you into recovery mode where you can install the packages.

One important point, if when you switch your phone on, at the bottom of the screen you have a locked padlock then you will need to unlock your phone to root it, pic below is an unlocked phone.

3q78o7.jpg

• Upvote 5

Are you using the HTC sense keyboard? If so it's gash anyway. Download a trial of swiftkey 3 from the google play store. It's magnificent. That will tell you if it is a software issue with the HTC keyboard anyway. If that doesn't solve the problem I'd just take it to the store where you get it and ask them to have a look - no harm doing so if it is still under warranty.

I tried this, it didn't fix it. Went through all the troubleshooting on HTC's website, calibrated the keyboard, calibrated the screen, booted it up in safe mode, still bollocksed. Decided to bypass the phone company and go straight to HTC, gave them a ring, they're are sending a courier out to pick it up tomorrow so fingers crossed for a replacement, or at least a proper repair. Otherwise it's going in the river and getting claimed on insurance.

This was my very next question. My girlfriend is looking at rooting her phone but we're not really sure what it entails. She has an HTC which apparently has a major design flaw, you can't save any apps or anything on the SD card, just on the phone. The phone has a tiny memory so it runs out of memory in no time, it can only hold three or four apps. She read that if she roots it, she can override the Android programming and save things directly on to the card. How hard is it to do, and what's the likelihood of bricking it?

I can put some apps onto my SD card (I bought one with a bigger memory capacity for this bloody reason), but twitter and facebook refuse to move so my phone memory is baws. I won't be getting another HTC phone.

There are certain apps that NEED to be on the phone memory, otherwise they don't work properly (constantly closing, not doing what they should, not being able to post pictures/updates). As of ICS Twitter is an integrated app, like gmail, maps and browser. Facebook is only 15MB and Twitter is only 6.7MB.

I think if you're going to root a phone, back it up first and stick closely to instruction things on the interwebs. I don't think it's quite as difficult as it sounds but I'm almost certain you can screw shit up if you do it wrong.

But then, I'm an iPhone user so don't really have much influence over "actual" smartphone users... ;)

Ordered an Iphone 4S yesterday from the buymobilephones.com place that Keeno suggested.

They are a good bunch of lads. They say they always deliver next day but because parcelforce don't operate in my area I won't get it till Saturday. For this huge inconvenience I received £20 and I'll be getting a free cover for my phone.

Got a pretty sweet deal on my contract as well.

Winner.

• Upvote 1

Ordered an Iphone 4S yesterday from the buymobilephones.com place that Keeno suggested.

They are a good bunch of lads. They say they always deliver next day but because parcelforce don't operate in my area I won't get it till Saturday. For this huge inconvenience I received £20 and I'll be getting a free cover for my phone.

Got a pretty sweet deal on my contract as well.

Winner.

All the best.

xx

• Upvote 2