aberdeen-music

Smartphones

paime

There may already be a topic on this but i can't be hooped searching. I need a new phone but im not sure what to get. I have an iPhone 3G just now but im pretty hacked off with Apple and was considering Android or Windows as an alternative - has anyone got any tips for me? I was looking at the Sony Ericsson Arc S but then I saw the Nokia Lumia 800...

There may already be a topic on this but i can't be hooped searching. I need a new phone but im not sure what to get. I have an iPhone 3G just now but im pretty hacked off with Apple and was considering Android or Windows as an alternative - has anyone got any tips for me? I was looking at the Sony Ericsson Arc S but then I saw the Nokia Lumia 800...

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/best-android-phone-which-should-you-buy-717819

There's a couple of guides (they're updated regularly as new phones are released) which should help out. I think the HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S2 are still the best overall phones on the market but it's starting to hit that time of year again where new phones are released so it might be worth having a look at what's just around the corner.

My contract expires in 2 weeks so I'm also looking for advice. My last contract was 2 year sim only contract and my good phone broke soon after so I now have a non smartphone Nokia (looks like this so maybe the previous version of that phone?). After 2 years of being dropped/thrown around and general abuse it works perfectly and I only need to charge it every 4 days or so. So for me battery life is most important. Fancy having a phone with gadgets again but not at the expense of battery. My girlfriend has one of Xperia mini's and she has to charge it every day.

Any current phones with good battery? I like phones with slide out keyboards too but not essential

I like the look of the Galaxy S2 but i guess what i really want to know is how do the Android phones match up to the iPhone 4s?

statistically they are almost identical. only difference is that the Galaxy doesn't have bluetooth (although who still uses bluetooth?)

*waits for Chris to post a link to some obscure geek blog detailing how the iPhone is "FAR superior"

My contract expires in 2 weeks so I'm also looking for advice. My last contract was 2 year sim only contract and my good phone broke soon after so I now have a non smartphone Nokia (looks like this so maybe the previous version of that phone?). After 2 years of being dropped/thrown around and general abuse it works perfectly and I only need to charge it every 4 days or so. So for me battery life is most important. Fancy having a phone with gadgets again but not at the expense of battery. My girlfriend has one of Xperia mini's and she has to charge it every day.

Any current phones with good battery? I like phones with slide out keyboards too but not essential

I was in the same boat and then got my HTC Mozart, it's a decent enough phone but i have to charge it every day pretty much which is a pain considering the last one would last about a week. Think most smartphones require frequent charging though it does depend on how much you use the phone.

Guest Gladstone

It's all to do with the amount of battery searching for wifi and using data services etc that seems to drain the battery on smartphones. If I could be arsed, I'd turn it off when I'm out and about etc. We did that when we were away in Frankfurt for a stag weekend, so the phones were just being used as phones and the battery life was amazing.

statistically they are almost identical. only difference is that the Galaxy doesn't have bluetooth (although who still uses bluetooth?)

*waits for Chris to post a link to some obscure geek blog detailing how the iPhone is "FAR superior"

I've got an S2. It's got bluetooth. I use it to get phonecalls in the car.

My Galaxy S2 has bluetooth.... not that i've ever used it.

Edit: Beaten to it....

I've gone for the S2, should be with me in a couple of days. It looks like the dog's bollocks so hopefully it lives up to it's reputation and is nice 'n' sturdy. Having said that i'll probably try to balance it on top of a pint glass 'just to see if i can,' it will inveitably fall in and i'll have to use a 3310 for the next 18 months.

I'm upgrading next month. out of pure laziness i'm going to get the iphone or whichever Android phone is most popular at the time. I've always chosen my phone on how popular it is at that precise moment in time and i've never had any problems.

That's how I choose my music and clothes.

• Upvote 2

I go through phases of liking phones. I had an iPhone 3 a few years ago, and got bored with it - so I changed my contract to a Blackberry one because I love the tiny little keyboard on it over a touch screen. I flogged the iPhone 3. However, about 6 months later I got bored with the lack of ability to waste time on the Blackberry and went to an iPhone 4.

I have had my iPhone 4 about a year and a bit, and starting to get fed up with it again. But I know in 6 months time I'm going to want my iPhone back again.

I've had the HTC Sensation XE for about 6 months now and I'm really happy with it.

It is a great phone, great on the internet and with the Beats software the sound is far better than any other phone.

You also get Beats headphones in the box.

The phone is about 6 months old now, so no doubt an updated version will be here soon enough.

I've had the HTC Sensation XE for about 6 months now and I'm really happy with it.

It is a great phone, great on the internet and with the Beats software the sound is far better than any other phone.

You also get Beats headphones in the box.

The phone is about 6 months old now, so no doubt an updated version will be here soon enough.

Beats Headphones are terrible :/

• Upvote 1