aberdeen-music

Pictures that don't make you laugh, but still say something to you!

• 7 months later...

I kinda dread re-starting this trainwreck of a thread but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this, and I wanted to share it (although it is a month old, I've only just seen it). If you haven't seen the story, basically a guy got chucked in front of a train in the New York subway, as he was trying to scramble out before the train reached him, a nearby photographer grabbed his camera and tried to use the flash to warn the driver. It didn't work, and what he ended up with was a bunch of photos of a guy getting crushed to death by a train. The New York post ran one of them on the front page.

It's a striking image, and begs the question, surely to fuck the guy could have done something a bit more useful than flashing a camera. He doesn't look that far away. People are even questioning whether he intentionally started snapping instead of helping in the hope of getting a memorable photograph. I'd hope nobody would actually really do that, but it is a remarkably clear picture.

Anyway, enough rambling.

http://gawker.com/5965659/would-you-have-taken-the-post-subway-photo-pulitzer+winning-photographers-respond

Such an unnatural reaction. Who would think to use the flash when a man is desperately scrambling for his life in the face of an extraordinarily bloody and gruesome death?

A man can't help if he's frozen in shock or fear and doesn't help, but he obviously had the presence of mind to take the photo of a man dying and was by no means static. He should have used that awareness to drag the man up, or at least try. He could have been saved.

That's what I think. I hope not though because I don't want to lose all faith in humanity. IF it is what it seems to be, I hope the photographer is tortured and racked with his guilty conscience before blowing his fucking brains out.

It does seem really strange. I really hope someone wouldn't do that, but there are some fucking cunts in the world, and like I say, it's a remarkably clear and well-lined up picture for one taken by accident.

He's obviously not frozen in fear if he has the presence of mind to try and use the flash to signal the driver. If that is true, it's quick thinking but a fucking stupid idea.

No doubt in my mind he thought 'oh shit... I'm gonna win a Pulitzer right now'

It sounds like a really Shitty reaction but I'm kinda on the fence about it. Firstly, there's no way he could have saved him - you just don't go anyway near the track when a train is coming - that would have been two deaths instead of one. The drop is aboit 8 feet so it would take a fit person at least 15 seconds to pull themself up and who knows if he could speed that up any - I doubt it. But, taking a photo is tasteless. Or is it? im sure most photographers will say taking photos becomes a reflex. He is a journalist, and by documenting incidents, however grim, he is making his contribution to the world. Should photographers during the Sudanese famine be giving out bread instead of taking photos to alert the rest of the world to the issue?

• Upvote 1

I think it's impossible to say whether or not he could have saved him. We don't know how long it took the photographer to line up the photograph, and that time could have been spent rushing towards the man and attempting to pull him up. It's certainly difficult to climb and lift yourself up such a height, but with the leverage of another person, I think it's plausible to think he could have been saved. Then again, I don't know how fast the train was going either, and if it was beginning to come to a halt at that station, or of it was intending to go straight past the platform but started to slam the brakes on.

If successful at saving him, it doesn't stop him from documenting the incident and still contributing from a journalistic viewpoint, but in my opinion, I think it does show he'd rather have a photograph of the incident than just an eye witness report.

Dunalley-fire-1-011.jpg

I know it's not nice to make a joke, I hope they're all okay (though, is this not the same as the New York train death photo? What's he doing with a cemra in the water when he should be, I don't know, building a submarine or soemthing...) but...

The kid with the sunglasses is cool as fuck. That's a down town kid. Not phased at all. Sunglasses. Always.

• Upvote 1

Dunalley-fire-1-011.jpg

I know it's not nice to make a joke, I hope they're all okay (though, is this not the same as the New York train death photo? What's he doing with a cemra in the water when he should be, I don't know, building a submarine or soemthing...) but...

The kid with the sunglasses is cool as fuck. That's a down town kid. Not phased at all. Sunglasses. Always.

Apparently the photographer here is their grandfather.. I'm sure I read that somewhere. So I assume he took the snap, and got back to trying to survive.

I thought the whole point of being in the water was to protect from being toasted alive on the land where the fire was raging. Not sure about the photo's unless it was a camera phone it was taken on. To be honest they probably could have stayed on the jetty until it started burning.

I just hope the dog was ok.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

I hate that picture. What's it supposed to mean?

I see two women. One of them posed and photographed in order to look as glamorous as possible, the other a candid shot of someone (not posing for the camera) enjoying herself at the beach.

Both are incredibly thin.

Marilyn Monroe wasn't "incredibly" thin.

edit - just realised this is from the very start of this thread and I'd actually already responded. 

I thought the whole point of being in the water was to protect from being toasted alive on the land where the fire was raging. Not sure about the photo's unless it was a camera phone it was taken on. To be honest they probably could have stayed on the jetty until it started burning.

I just hope the dog was ok.

Maybe they were trying to stay cooler in the water?

• 1 month later...