aberdeen-music

D.I.Y. outfit called GOFF

warble

scottyboy: OH NO!

Not only is that important feedback, but I am now logically forced to listen to lots of Kaiser Chiefs songs.

I did genuinely think "Kaiser Chiefs" as the first few bars kicked in, but if you want a broader, hopefully more helpful point- the tracks (that is another song on the bandcamp... right?) are pretty generic, riff-based indie-rock. Really not hearing anything much in the way of jazz or blues, other than a few licks in the (pretty woeful) guitar breaks. Like Ca-gere said, the lyrics are probably better than most, but they need to go over something better.

Well you've got people talking and actually using the Feedback Forum, which is a coup in itself. I didn't like the track much personally. I didn't give it much of a chance though. I have a very short attention span and only got about 20 seconds in. I'll try again later when I'm not at work.

• Upvote 1

When I said it was a blend of jazz, I was referring to the harmonies on the second track there. It plays an added minor ninth at one point which is all far out and shit.

They are easy, riff-based songs, yes!

Looking at our newer excretions, a shite Zappa is the definitely the direction we're headed!

Yes, that is me singing and playing guitar - as noted, I suck at both of these tasks.

I'm surprised and intrigued that it sounds like indie rock, because I don't really listen to that sort of thing, so it is an interesting and unintentional outcome! I'm going to have to listen to a bunch of that crap now.

I have enjoyed reading all the feedback! Thanks, everybody!

When I said it was a blend of jazz, I was referring to the harmonies on the second track there. It plays an added minor ninth at one point which is all far out and shit.

Not sure that's any more likely to make your tune sound jazzy than make it sound a Meshuggah track or the Jaws theme :D At the risk of stating the obvious -you're not a classical theory-trained muso moonlighting as a garage guitarist are you?- if you wanted to give your music a real jazz or blues vibe there'd be more to it than altered intervals and blues scale riffs, respectively.

you're not a classical theory-trained muso moonlighting as a garage guitarist are you?

You've sussed me! I have been roped into playing in bands before, but mostly I try to learn romantic period shizzle.

if you wanted to give your music a real jazz or blues vibe there'd be more to it than altered intervals and blues scale riffs, respectively.

I'll concede that to you, completely! Needs to lift some rhythmic elements of those genres in order to get that style nailed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...