aberdeen-music

D.I.Y. outfit called GOFF

warble

GOFF are a new and strange D.I.Y. band. Here is a prolapse from our recent demo:

<iframe width="300" height="100" style="position: relative; display: block; width: 300px; height: 100px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/track=2551805360/size=grande/bgcol=FFFFFF/linkcol=4285BB/" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"><a href="http://wellgoffik.bandcamp.com/track/i-get-erased">I Get Erased by GOFF</a></iframe>

We play a blend of punk, blues, jazz, and are well goffik too. I'd describe us as chronically awful.

It's pretty awful, I'll give you that much.

Hooray!

I realised that if your band is called GOFF, you play dodgy genre crossover tunes, and you have cocks on your cd cover then it's shite in a few conceptual ways before you even pick up a guitar. Cheesy blues licks and silly rhymes don't help. We are screwed. Our new material uses church organ and maximum pretension. Unfortunately for everyone, we shall be inflicting ourself on the local area for several months at the least.

At the risk of sounding like a po-faced ninny, I would humbly submit that DIY here suggests rejecting professional services like recording, replacing them with your own efforts, or those of similarly aligned individuals who will do shit for reasons other than money. This is partly a rejection of the capitalist hegemony, but it is also our default because we're all fucking broke!

DIY is a strange business. I have a respect for people who take that approach to a certain extent and I can see the thinking behind it but where does it end? If you're recording your own stuff and it sounds like shit, then where is the benefit to you or anyone else in that? I think about my time in bands - I played (primarily) Fender basses because the Fender musical instrument company were much more skilled at making bass guitars than I was. If I tried to play one I'd made, it'd not work. Same goes for recording. Some people are much more skilled at that and have the necessary equipment, so we raised the money and then paid them it.

When people just go DIY as some kind of moral high ground, it just seems a bit stupid.

When people just go DIY as some kind of moral high ground, it just seems a bit stupid.

I've a pal who says "DIY or DIE". I don't know if he's claiming the moral high ground and using it to peer down on we poor folk, or whether he's just broadcasting his preferred techniques in a sensational manner. Personally, I find the "DIY or DIE" mantra kinda entertaining in itself so I'm not offended by it. I can see why being told that you're a tool of the machine might piss some people off though.

I'm sticking this DIY label to our shitty band just to raise interest in the matter because it encourages other people to get making tunes. At least, I was very young I found the idea really impressive, and it got me into playing, shite as I might have been. In our specific case, we're not suffering because of the quality of the recording, we just suck.

DIY is a strange business. I have a respect for people who take that approach to a certain extent and I can see the thinking behind it but where does it end? If you're recording your own stuff and it sounds like shit, then where is the benefit to you or anyone else in that? I think about my time in bands - I played (primarily) Fender basses because the Fender musical instrument company were much more skilled at making bass guitars than I was. If I tried to play one I'd made, it'd not work. Same goes for recording. Some people are much more skilled at that and have the necessary equipment, so we raised the money and then paid them it.

DIY is open to interpretation. I don't think it is as hardline as doing EVERYTHING yourself. It's more about providing for yourself, and making art for art's sake. not for the appeal or possible financial reward. There's alot of people who get into playing music to try and make money, or more accurately, a profit. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but to me, DIY is the opposite route to that, and not focusing on ambitions, and just playing your music because you love it. There's alot of snobbery involved with DIY, but there is with pretty much all forms of art and media and whatever. It's best to just ignore it, really.

• Upvote 1

I opened this thread thinking it would be about a new DIY shop started by CoolThinker.

I wish it was one of those threads.

I love lo-fi music and all that but you seem awfully snobby about it. You've probably got decent enough equipment but just no idea how to use it.

The whole 'we suck' attitude is also pretty lame and makes me hate you before I've even had a chance to listen to the music.

• Upvote 1

ca_gere: Cheers!

Not convinced the tune is worth working on. Nothing strikes me as needing obvious improvement for it's just a continuum of bollocks. I wrote it while really drunk. Nevertheless, I appreciate your feedback! Perhaps we will try and do another similar one. My feeling is I'd be better off writing another song, rather than putting effort into making this suck less.