aberdeen-music

Sound differences between a 1x12 and 2x12 cabinet

I am mulling over what kind of cabinet I should get for my Sound City 50 Plus head. Initially, I thought that a 2x12 would be the way to go, but on a cost/space issue, a 1x12 might be better.

How much of a sound difference would there be between the two? I know a 1x12 will be plenty loud for gigging, but would the sound be too "boxy" or lack low end?

I don't know the specifics, but my first ever cab was a Marshall 1x12 which I got for free. It was alright, but at gigging volumes without being mic'd up (with my DSL going into it), it sounded like it was really straining, and it generated a bit of a 'farty' sound from the cone. I got rid and got a Marshall 2x12. One of the much bigger 1922 ones, and the difference was pretty astounding. Alot more 'BOOM', and less 'strain' and' farting'. Pretty sure these are all proper tone terminlogy

Most 2x12's aren't angled, so for spacial issues, you can always have them on their side, so they are taller. I image your SC would fit on the top of the side of a 2x12 as it's reasonably compact.

Then again, I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've ever brought my own cab to a gig, so a 1x12 would probably be fine for jamming and recording.

Guest davetherave

2 x 12 will give a wider "spread" of sound, a 1x12 can be quite directional? As Soda commented, a 2x12 will give more "bottom"...without farting or breaking up, though some folk might like a farty broken up sound ! :)

I don't know about all this twangy guitar stuff, but I do know that you can't change the laws of physics. Smaller cab will always bring compromise, either in terms of volume or sensitivity. If smaller cabs could do what larger ones can then the only reason to own a stack would be ego/appearances.

The 2x12 will push more air, give more depth due to a larger enclosure and 'spread' the sound better. I could go waaaaaay more in-depth, but it would take ages and I have places to be :laughing::up:

I don't know about all this twangy guitar stuff, but I do know that you can't change the laws of physics. Smaller cab will always bring compromise, either in terms of volume or sensitivity. If smaller cabs could do what larger ones can then the only reason to own a stack would be ego/appearances.

Depending on application, it can be a lot of the time anyway. ;)

I was actually looking at Orange 1x12's. I think that R&B actually stock ones, but I'm not 100% certain.

Aye think they do. Think I got mine from stringsdirect. Hateevent was trying to sell one for ages on here, might be worth seeing if he's still got it.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have a car? If so, measure what actually fits in it before buying anything. If not, think about what you are likely to be able to fit in a car of someone who gives you a lift.

Also, get something that is suitable for the place you live and the gigs you are likely to play in the foreseeable future. There is no point on cluttering up your living space with something that is going to get you an ASBO if you simply don't need it. Most gigs involve PA systems and it is often possible to raise your amp/cab to ear level. I'd also warn against carrying heavy equipment unnecessarily as I have managed to temporarily bugger my hand up ahead of a summer school I once did by carrying a combo around an incredibly awkwardly-designed building without knowing where the room I was meant to go was.

Don't overlook the quality of the cab and what speakers it is loaded with. This may well be more important than how many speakers it has in it. Many people have preferences for vintage 30's, greenbacks, eminence legends or whatever. You will hear rattles and suchlike if a speaker cab is poorly built. For example, I have an old Marshall 2x12" which was abused by a previous owner and at high volume levels you can hear the speakers rattle around inside. Some speakers are also simply more efficient than others and will produce much louder sounds with less power and this may or may not be an advantage, depending on what you want to achieve.

There is also the issue of open back/closed back. Generally speaking, a lot of people prefer closed back for thick overdriven sounds as it tends to project the sound out the front of the cab in a more forceful way. Some people think open back cabs tend to be comparatively mellow. Either way, your cab will sound different depending on where in a room you put it and an open back cab will typically sound harsher if you put it next to a wall.

Whether or not you go for a 1x12" or 2x12", i'd suggest considering the overall quality of the cab.