aberdeen-music

Good things about Aberdeen

jcn

Falkirk is not the best of places. Kind of odd to lump the whole central belt with the same tag given that they are completely different places.

Falkirk on its own isn't that bad. It's a mindset more than anything else - my Mum's side of the family is from Ayr, so I've pretty much grown up spending a lot of time in the Ayrea (see what I did there?)

Kind of surprised to read such a narrow-minded post from you.

I'm from right in the middle of Glasow and Edinburgh. We didn't have a football team to support.

So you chose Celtic...any reason why it was Celtic and not, say, Partick Thistle? I'm sure there is a team that plays closer to where you grew up? Perhaps the guy calling you a 'glory hunter' was closer than you think.

My dad hates football and my granddad was dead before I was born. It's nothing to do with religion either. Any more assumptions to end?

I've never once said Aberdeen is a bad place because it's not. It is far better than its own stereotypes.

Live outside Aberdeen for a lengthy period and you will see life is pretty easy here.

I hate reading all the bile posted about Glasgow/the central belt.

Far more bile about Aberdeen itself from people who live here than 'bile' about the central belt. I haven't really slagged it off...yet.

Most of the comments read as bitter and silly. Smacks of jealousy to be honest as you can't build up so much hatred about something that clearly most of the posters know nothing about.

Jealousy? What the actual fuck do I have to be jealous of Glasgow about?

• Upvote 1

Falkirk on its own isn't that bad. It's a mindset more than anything else - my Mum's side of the family is from Ayr, so I've pretty much grown up spending a lot of time in the Ayrea (see what I did there?)

So you chose Celtic...any reason why it was Celtic and not, say, Partick Thistle? I'm sure there is a team that plays closer to where you grew up? Perhaps the guy calling you a 'glory hunter' was closer than you think.

Far more bile about Aberdeen itself from people who live here than 'bile' about the central belt. I haven't really slagged it off...yet.

Jealousy? What the actual fuck do I have to be jealous of Glasgow about?

You are old enough to remember when Celtic were on their knees finishing 4th and 5th behind Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Motherwell? Obviously not.

Glory hunter is well off. Am I going to get even more bad assumptions?

I just thought the guy in the Queen Vic was hilarious. Slagged off everything that was Glasgow and the glory hunting old firm supporters yet he bailed out on Aberdeen to support a team he has no connection and will only ever watch on tv.

I've probably been to more Aberdeen games in 2 years than 99% of people on here so I'm not going to take a beating over my choice of team or the fact I put my hand in my pocket to support a team.

I just don't understand why Aberdonians spend so much time hating Glasgow.

Do you not think it's a bit odd that another what's good about Aberdeen ends up revolving about Glasgow for the 20th million time on here?

The obsession is not natural.

Its only really the second time it's revolved around Glasgow and the first time was because Jake got sad because Dweller moved there. I think the aim of this thread was so people could post things they enjoyed about Aberdeen that other people may not be aware of so they could get involved. I don't want to read another post about how great/shite fucking Glasgow is. This is a thread about Aberdeen. The clue is the title.

To keep my rant on topic the fact the city has two uni's is a pretty good thing.

• Upvote 1

You are old enough to remember when Celtic were on their knees finishing 4th and 5th behind Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Motherwell? Obviously not.

Glory hunter is well off. Am I going to get even more bad assumptions?

I just thought the guy in the Queen Vic was hilarious. Slagged off everything that was Glasgow and the glory hunting old firm supporters yet he bailed out on Aberdeen to support a team he has no connection and will only ever watch on tv.

I've probably been to more Aberdeen games in 2 years than 99% of people on here so I'm not going to take a beating over my choice of team or the fact I put my hand in my pocket to support a team.

I just don't understand why Aberdonians spend so much time hating Glasgow.

Do you not think it's a bit odd that another what's good about Aberdeen ends up revolving about Glasgow for the 20th million time on here?

The obsession is not natural.

I'm 26, so not really.

The guy does sound hilarious, I'm not disagreeing with you there. I can't bring myself to support an English team properly because I just can't get as passionate over it as I do with Aberdeen.

I don't spend any time out of my day hating Glasgow, but if there's an argument over whether Glasgow or Aberdeen is better I will pick Aberdeen every time - it is not only my hometown, but in my opinion a far nicer city than Glasgow is, was, or ever will be.

I challenge you to find me another thread on this board that revolves around Glasgow - the football thread notwithstanding.

I like not being landlocked. I went for a walk round the bay between Torry and Nigg today and it was ace. Really pretty scenery, fantastic weather and I had the new School of Seven Bells record in the headphones (which incidentally is really good, FYI). Taking a walk round there and then stopping for a drink at Campbells and watching the boats go in and out all day is braw. Normally I don't like to blow my own trumpet about how I've had a brilliant Monday off in the sun when I'm aware that so many of you were probably working, but: toot toot.

226921_10150175335354469_671999468_6613780_4486712_n.jpg

• Upvote 4

There has been quite a few.

I wish I could remember his name. He is a regular in the Queen Vic and always sits at the end of the bar to the right as you walk in. He is on here as we were talking about it.

I've always got a soft spot for my hometown too. It's what I grew up with and know inside out.

I've had the chance to live in various parts of Scotland and can honestly say I've enjoyed them all for various reasons.

Apart from East Kilbride which I actually hated with a passion.

In my youth I really couldn't take to Edinburgh. Now when I go back I appreciate it more.

If you want to find bad in something, you will.

Aberdeen in my opinion is the least recession affected place going with the oil wealth. There is far more work here and more so that pays top money.

That's why you end up with all us foreigners!

jakebassist comes across as a young lad that knows no better. I'd confidently bet if he left he would get a shock to find things are just a bit easier up here.

I would choose Glasgow ahead of Aberdeen for a number of reasons. I do feel it is bigger and better for all my interest.

I'd still move back to St Andrews ahead of both though.

Aberdeen is a good city though. There isn't any real reason why you shouldn't be happy here.

It pays my wages and I do make the best if it.

Green spaces. You're never far from a lump of grass in Aberdeen. Even if it's a road-side knoll*, you can't underestimate how important plant life is and you quickly miss it when you don't see it everyday.

*first time i've ever used that word not in connection to talking about JFK

I just saw this post and oh christ no surely this is a joke?

Nope. Why would you spend twice as much money on the same size/quality of house or flat in Aberdeen rather than live somewhere that's half the price?

xx

EDIT: As I said I think Aberdeen is lovely but I don't understand why more people don't say "£200k for a one-bedroom flat? Poke that up your japseye."

I like not being landlocked. I went for a walk round the bay between Torry and Nigg today and it was ace. Really pretty scenery, fantastic weather and I had the new School of Seven Bells record in the headphones (which incidentally is really good, FYI). Taking a walk round there and then stopping for a drink at Campbells and watching the boats go in and out all day is braw. Normally I don't like to blow my own trumpet about how I've had a brilliant Monday off in the sun when I'm aware that so many of you were probably working, but: toot toot.

I feel very lucky to have all that you have described just round the corner (well, 2 corners really). We went on that exact walk a couple of weekends ago.

I'm not saying anywhere else is bad, but I'm not interested in ever living anywhere else.

• Upvote 1

Nope. Why would you spend twice as much money on the same size/quality of house or flat in Aberdeen rather than live somewhere that's half the price?

xx

EDIT: As I said I think Aberdeen is lovely but I don't understand why more people don't say "£200k for a one-bedroom flat? Poke that up your japseye."

because Aberdeen is like...cool, man. status symbol - being able to live in a flat in aberdeen is like wearing PRADA and fingerbanging a woman (i'd assume)

A post that not only has a pretty picture but is on-topic, I could kiss you!!!

• Upvote 1

Other stuff I like: cool wee places that you don't get anywhere else. One-Up, E.A.R.L, The Tunnels, etc.

The massive granite underground passages underneath Union Street, The Tunnels lives in one of them. Someone should open it all up and put some more wee shops in them or something.

• Upvote 2

Aberdeen fits a hell of a lot in for a population of only 220,000. We're a cosy wee bunch up here and I like the fact that I can walk down Union Street and bump into people I know. I can also find area is complete calm if I want to like Duthie Park or the beach. Glasgow to me feels a lot more impersonal and generally a bit shitty. Aberdeen FTW!

I agree with many of the good things already mentioned in the thread so far. Got to add Brig O' Balgownie to the thread. One of the most beautiful areas of the city. Really feels like a step back in time.

Brig-of-Balgownie-from-the-east800.jpg

One of my favourite walks in Aberdeen is going down High Street > The Chanory > through Seaton Park and wind up at this place. Stunning.

• Upvote 2

Aberdeen Uni is pretty spectacular. It blows people's minds when I show them a picture of Kings College and tell them I had lectures inside.

So there's that.

+1

I went to Machu Picchu last year and I didn't realise that Kings College is older than the Incan stuff - it's got central heating ffs!

I've been thinking about this. Yes, it's expensive to get a house here (excessively so), yes, the weather is often shit, but it's just such a compact wee place - I lived in the West End with family so yes I had it easy, but it's just nice to be able to walk somewhere if you want to, whereas this is a lot harder (not impossible, mind) somewhere like Glasgow with a larger city centre. Sorry for bringing up Glasgow again though.