aberdeen-music

Recording Studio Market Research

Fraser Milne

I am currently studying HND sound production at Aberdeen college and am investigating the requirements that are needed to start up my own Recording studio somewhere in the countryside that will also have fully furnished practise rooms for bands, and also space for small gigs on occasion, so in regards to any Recording facilities you are currently using, or have used, i would greatly appreciate if you could take the time to complete this short survey about some of the factors that affect the quality and service of recording studios.

Q) – Given the option, would you rather pay more to use state of the art equipment, or less to use more basic equipment?

A) -

Q)- Would you be interested in some sort of membership/loyalty scheme that gave you discount on practice rooms?

a)- yes

b)- no

Q)- How far would you be willing to travel to get to good recording studio?

a) 0-15miles

b) 15-30miles

c)30- 60miles

Q)- How much would you be willing to pay to use our recording studio for an hour, day and week?Hour)-

Day)-

Week)-

Q)- What other local recording studio have you used?

A)

Q)- Did you find there was anything those recording studio lacked, or needed improvement on?

A)

Q)- How often do you use recording studios? Or how often would you use recording studios if one was locally available?

a) once a month

b)Once every six months

c) Once a year or less

Q) – How often do you use band practise rooms? Or how often would you use band practice rooms if they were locally available?

a) 3 times a week

b) Once a week

c) Once a month

Thank you for your time and Input :)

Q) – Given the option, would you rather pay more to use state of the art equipment, or less to use more basic equipment?

A) - I would rather pay less to use state of the art equipment tbh. It's a fine balance, but as long as the room sounds nice and we're able to clearly hear everything - particularly vocals - then I'm happy.

Q)- Would you be interested in some sort of membership/loyalty scheme that gave you discount on practice rooms?

a)- yes

b)- no

a) 0-15miles

b) 15-30miles

c)30- 60miles

Happy to travel anywhere to record providing it's reasonably priced and the product is worth travelling for. Travelling for REHEARSAL is a totally different matter though.

Q)- How much would you be willing to pay to use our recording studio for an hour, day and week?

Hour)-

Day)-

Week)-

This question is not good. It depends on a variety of factors, but mainly the quality of finished recordings.

A) Captain Tom's, Exile, The Mill, Musical Vision, The Foyer, Bedford, Aberdeen College Studio

Q)- Did you find there was anything those recording studio lacked, or needed improvement on?

A) In short, yes. The main issue with most is a good balance between quality of microphones and quality of engineer.

Q)- How often do you use recording studios? Or how often would you use recording studios if one was locally available?

a) once a month

b) Once every six months

c) Once a year or less

Q) – How often do you use band practise rooms? Or how often would you use band practice rooms if they were locally available?

a) 3 times a week

b) Once a week

c) Once a month

We use our own practice space, roughly once a week.

Thank you for your time and Input.

A) - I'd rather pay more for more basic equipment. Didn't see Hendrix recording on a mini disc did you?

a)- Only if there is a strict dress code.

I own an Indian Navy Rajput class Kashin-II Destroyer so distance is no issue for me. Unless it's inland.

Q)- How much would you be willing to pay to use our recording studio for an hour, day and week?

Depends on the 'services' available at the studio. Would I be allowed to bring in outside refreshments? If so I'd happily throw some coins your way.

A) I've recorded at Captain Tom's. I was dissappointed to find out he wasn't an actually Captain.

A) As touched upon in my answer above the fact Captain Tom wasn't a Captain. I doubt he has even been on a boat.

a) Every Tuesday.

a) Once a week, If Tom upped his game and became a real Captain I doubt I would leave though.

A letter of thanks can be PM'd to my profile on this website.

Lots of love,

flights.

• Upvote 1

A) - Its nice to have but at the same time not really needed, Would i use it myself, If the price was right i might do some tracking or mastering.

Yeah that could be cool, A bit like captain toms and the Snapfax deal.

As long as i can get a bus, having a driving ban sucks.

Q)- How much would you be willing to pay to use our recording studio for an hour, day and week?Hour)- £10

Day)- £50

Week)- £130

A) - The Mill, Aberdeen Foyer, Musical Vision,

A) - Staff who actually know how to use the gear and want to do there job.

b)Once every six months

c) Once a month

A) - In a practise sense i see no point in thrashing top of the range gear, but it has to be of a good quality regardless, otherwise your looking at a false economy of constantly replacing cheap equipment that wont do the job, cheap mics will be turned up louder, cheap amps just thrashed, cheap drum kits will fall apart quickly.

a)- yes

a) travelling to anywhere in the UK wouldnt be an issue if the quality warranted it. I have no issue going into the middle of nowhere to record if im coming back with something really good.

Q)- How much would you be willing to pay to use our recording studio for an hour, day and week?Hour)-

a) That would entirely depend on what you were offering both equipment and engineering wise, if you offered me top of the range equipment and a proven good engineering id pay for it, offer me something second rate and i would expect it to be a lot cheaper.

A) The Mill, Exile (both in Aberdeen and Banchory area), Floor Tom, Capt Toms, also recorded with the guys from Stanley who now run the old Exile studio.

A) Where to start really? Each one has had their ups and downs, except Floor Tom really. Exile has its limitations on equipment, but Mark makes up for it with his know how with triggers and samples. Capt Tom's again suffers from a room thats not brilliant and equipment not top of the range, but Paul is fantastic to work with, and he knows how to make a guitar sound black, what more could you ask for? I didnt personally like the Mill, top of the range gear but i didnt enjoy working with Nial as an engineer. Floor Tom for me is great, has top gear, and Steve is a magician when he gets going.

a) Once a year or less for release's, more for demo's

a) more than once a week usually.

A) - More for better. But sometimes if you're practising a lot you can't afford that and it has to be just basics. A happy medium would be good.

a)- yes

a) 0-15miles

Hour)-15

Day)-50

Week)-250

A)Captain Toms, Exile, Nick Scholey.

A)I found the quality of the recordings and equipment was a little lacking at CT and Exile. We borrowed equipment for NS, but if we just turned up who knows. he's been the best locally so far.

b)Once every six months

b) Once a week

Q) Given the option, would you rather pay more to use state of the art equipment, or less to use more basic equipment?

A) The latter.

Q) Would you be interested in some sort of membership/loyalty scheme that gave you discount on practice rooms?

A) I don't really use practise rooms, my sound isn't big enough to warrant the cost.

Q) How far would you be willing to travel to get to good recording studio?

A) To be honest if I was seriously recording and the thing was more than about 10 miles away I'd probably get a B&B or something.

Q) How much would you be willing to pay to use our recording studio for an hour, day and week?

A) As Adam says, this question is daft since it relies on too many factors.

Q) What other local recording studio have you used?

A) The only one, bar my bedroom, was Bedford Records' "home studio" (a living room and a hall).

Q) Did you find there was anything those recording studios lacked, or needed improvement on?

A) (fixed that for you.) Well, given the cost of the endeavour it probably might have sounded better in a larger space. (Sorry if you're reading this Iain!) I think my record sounds far more "acousticy" as a result when I wasn't aiming to get that sound but that was more my own fault than his.

Q) How often do you use recording studios? Or how often would you use recording studios if one was locally available?

A) Another odd question :p You use recording studios for as long as it takes to record something. If you're not writing, you don't need to record.

Q) How often do you use band practise rooms? Or how often would you use band practice rooms if they were locally available?

A) They are locally available... But, again, sound isn't big enough to warrant the cost.

Guest davetherave

A) - Less, and bring my own gear?

a)- yes

b) 15-30miles

Hour)- 10

Day)- 50

Week)- 200

A) My own, home studio set up in spare room.

A) No, though a bigger space would be nice :)

I'm in my home studio 1-2 nights a week.

b) Once a week/fortnight, usually Cap Toms

a) - Depends on the purpose of the recording, but generally I'd pay more for better gear. If it's a quick and dirty demo I'd go cheap or just home-record.

a)- yes

d) - for a good studio at a good price I'd travel as far as Edinburgh/Glasgow if there was some kind of residential deal/accomodation available there, so anything up to around 100miles

It depends on the quality of the gear and the experience of the Engineer working there. Assuming it's all good:

Hour)- £20-30

8 hour Day)- £100

5 day Week)- £350-400

Exile Studios

Aberdeen College

Unity Recording Studio

The Foyer

A) Exile - returning mixed/mastered tracks promptly.

The Foyer - It was a while ago but it was great for a cheap and cheerful demo.

b)Once every six months

b) Once a week

Thank you for your time and Input :)

A) - More for better. But sometimes if you're practising a lot you can't afford that and it has to be just basics. A happy medium would be good.

a)- yes

a) 0-15miles

Hour)-15

Day)-50

Week)-250

A)Captain Toms, Exile, Nick Scholey, The Foyer.

A)I found the quality of the recordings and equipment was a little lacking at CT and Exile. We borrowed equipment for NS, but if we just turned up who knows. he's been the best locally so far.

b)Once every six months

b) Once a week

Added the Foyer. It wasn't the best when I was there.

A) - Obviously you'd like to pay less for more but ultimately that doesn't happen. I'd pay a little more to use better equipment but wouldn't go overboard.

Definitely

I live in town so the closer the better for me. Saying that, we went to Fraserburgh to record our single and was well worth the travelling.

But if ultimately we got a better studio, I'd go anywhere. Looking at Glasgow/Perth for our next recording.

Depends on what's included. We paid £200 a day to record our single. Well worth it though. Studio could've done with some fucking heating though, was freezing.

Captain Tom's and Floor Tom Studios are the only ones I've used.

Not really - we only did a live recording at Tom's and you get what you pay for. The Floor Tom recording was ace though.

b) Once every six months

Once a week