aberdeen-music

Practice spaces

Currently Tom's but a log cabin is being built at my house which will be a recording studio / practice studio - hopefully should be ready to use within a month. Can't wait...

Woah, woah! This deserves its own thread. Pictures, before & after, TECH SHIT - do it. Your 100 mile run thing probably deserves its own thread too. WTF are you playing at?! Get on it!

• Upvote 3

We pay less each, per month, than you'd pay for 2 hours at Tom's (depending on the size of your band, of course). There are massive benefits of creating your own place!

I've also rehearsed in that basement, Moose. In fact back in the good ol' days of COTC it was suggested that i quit my full time career and move into the basment to save money. Not my suggestion may i add but a suggestion nontheless. Had i done so im sure i would be a crack addict. Do the junkies still poop in the hall?

Guest Gladstone
Woah, woah! This deserves its own thread. Pictures, before & after, TECH SHIT - do it. Your 100 mile run thing probably deserves its own thread too. WTF are you playing at?! Get on it!

Na - it doesn't deserve it's own thread. It will be a glorified shed, with some recording equipment and our gear set up in it at all times so we can just unlock the door and PLAY.

No fucking about with amp heads, and setting up mics and all that pish. I swear we've paid Captain Tom's about a MILLION POUNDS over the last 5/6 years to chat loosely whilst setting up our gear in their practice rooms.

It will still be fucking cool though.

I've also rehearsed in that basement, Moose. In fact back in the good ol' days of COTC it was suggested that i quit my full time career and move into the basment to save money. Not my suggestion may i add but a suggestion nontheless. Had i done so im sure i would be a crack addict. Do the junkies still poop in the hall?

That sounds about right! It's great for rehearsal, like, but the druggies are a pain. Junkie poo a'where.

Na - it doesn't deserve it's own thread. It will be a glorified shed, with some recording equipment and our gear set up in it at all times so we can just unlock the door and PLAY.

Still sounds ace. I'd love a glorified shed! It will be the best day of my life when the final nail is hammered into my OUTSIDE FOOTBALL MANGER DEN AND CINEMA HUT.

Guest Gladstone
Still sounds ace. I'd love a glorified shed! It will be the best day of my life when the final nail is hammered into my OUTSIDE FOOTBALL MANGER DEN AND CINEMA HUT.

You'll love this even more...

When we got planning permission for our house, we got a garage designed into the plans that will have an upstairs loft, complete with soundproofing. That bad boy will still be built someday. We ran out of money building our house so didn't get round to the garage.

This log cabin will be a temporary solution though - saw it in gum tree at a really low price and just bought the fucker! It won't be properly (if at all) soundproofed. We have one neighbour as we're out in the country and the direction of walls / hedges etc. means I doubt they will be bothered by our noise. Once the garage is built, all that shit will be moved out of their and the log cabin will be used as some sort of party room / gym / fuck knows. It will be cool anyway! It already has full electrics wired into it and a'thing. Fucking magic.

We used to use the old Exile space with the guys from Stanley, was a brilliant thing until they started letting out when it was empty and the cunts that would come in would think it was ok to just use your gear, i almost punched someone when i came in to pick up my drums and some smug bastard was sitting behind my kit, with my cymbals and snare drum set up, and couldnt understand why i was taken my stuff away whilst he was practising. We moved out of there soon after as i refused to pay for it anymore when that was happening.

Same problems used to plague the lockup. Can't remember who the main culprits always were but it was really annoying to turn up and find your leads and fx in someone else's gear. It was always the same fucking band as well.

Its one of the worst things you can do as a musician, just helping your self to someones else's gear without asking. I spent a shit load on my stuff for my use, not so someone else can use it for practise, haha i was so angry that day, a shame tho cause the practise space was ace, lots of room and Stanley had it set up lovely back then.

We practice at Toms every week, usually. But we've been trying to source a place that we could claim as our own and practice more regularly because it does start to dent your bank balance a fair bit if you want to practice more than once a week.

We had a gig in Glasgow a few weeks back and booked a rehearsal room at Lofi Studios for a warm up before the gig and that place was excellent. You arrive at the room with all the amps, mics, drums, everything already set up and ready to go. All you need to do is plug your guitars in and you can play away. Saves you wasting a good 20mins or so setting up all the mic stands etc.

LoFi is one of my favourite places on earth. Great place, great people. Great price. I assume they're so good and cheap 'cause they don't have to pay the extortionate rent that Tom does though.

EDIT: Also I think the bassist out of Simple Minds owns it. So he has the cash to kit it out big toime.

Guest Gladstone
Also I think the bassist out of Simple Minds owns it. So he has the cash to kit it out big toime.

Think you're mixing up Jim Kerr with Jim Corr...

[EDIT: I realise Jim Kerr was not the bassist...]

Guest Gladstone

The bit of ground where my log cabin is going got flattened at the weekend, so hopefully work will commence soon... I keep meaning to take a photo of the space where it's going so I can have a before and after shot from outside as requested by Adam (and photos of the inside as it progresses etc.)

I'm affa excited.

We're still practicing at Tom's on a Wednesday night - it's decent enough but I really don't like Room 4. I don't like the kit, the PA sounds strange and our guitarists don't like the amps. Had an extra practice last night in Room 3 and I cut my finger in the middle of a song, turns out blood does not come off a snare head. Apologies for anyone who has to use it :(

Guest Gladstone
We're still practicing at Tom's on a Wednesday night - it's decent enough but I really don't like Room 4. I don't like the kit, the PA sounds strange and our guitarists don't like the amps. Had an extra practice last night in Room 3 and I cut my finger in the middle of a song, turns out blood does not come off a snare head. Apologies for anyone who has to use it :(

We used to have a real nightmare any time we were in Room 2 at Tom's - everything just sounded weird. I don't know if it's due to new amps etc. in there, but it's absolutely fine now.

I think it's probably because we're better now and know how to use the amps and PA etc. better.

We used to love Room 3 and always try to book Room 3 when available.

I've always quite liked Room 4, though haven't been in for a while - do they still have the halloween carpet??

Tell me about it, i put a new head on my snare a week ago and cut myself on sat, now its covered and it never comes off, thankfully it came off my cymbals and the tom drums!

I quite like room 4 in toms, the kit is a fusion size which i like and the carpet is amazing, although the new rugs they have make up for any shortcomings the carpets have!

Aye see I don't like using a fusion kit (personally).

I also couldn't get the blood off the floor tom :(

My sticks look ace now though haha!

Room 3 has posters on the roof of several gigs I've been to over the years - genuinely got a little excited when I saw one for The Relatives that I'd been to years and years ago. Also, my mates' band Mesta.

Tell me about it, i put a new head on my snare a week ago and cut myself on sat, now its covered and it never comes off, thankfully it came off my cymbals and the tom drums!

I quite like room 4 in toms, the kit is a fusion size which i like and the carpet is amazing, although the new rugs they have make up for any shortcomings the carpets have!

The new rugs are a creative boost! Room 4 also has the magical light that goes on and off at the perfect times. Blood looks cool. We should create a practice space in my seldom used garage :)

The new rugs are a creative boost! Room 4 also has the magical light that goes on and off at the perfect times. Blood looks cool. We should create a practice space in my seldom used garage :)

Im speaking to my old man about maybe getting use of the place we practise with the covers band, its up in Altens, but a quality wee room.

• Upvote 2