aberdeen-music

Practice spaces

When I was in Get In Get Out, briefly, we practiced in the singer's garage. A neighbour did complain about noise when we practiced past supper time. And you could hear us down the road. But other than that it was fine. Little cramp for space though.

They had p.a., mics, bass amp, guitar amp and a drum kit there.

Not sure if, as UNIFORM, they still practice there or not. Markdrummer?

When I was in Get In Get Out, briefly, we practiced in the singer's garage. A neighbour did complain about noise when we practiced past supper time. And you could hear us down the road. But other than that it was fine. Little cramp for space though.

They had p.a., mics, bass amp, guitar amp and a drum kit there.

Not sure if, as UNIFORM, they still practice there or not. Markdrummer?

Hey Jakey Baby

No, only had one practice there in a year or so - it's too small, damp, cold and dark now unfortunately. We've hired the Newmachar Hall a few times for a practice as the acoustics are pretty good but it's mainly Tom's now/bass player's old flat for rehearsal.

It's pretty much used as a storage space now for drums/amps etc

We used to use the old Exile space with the guys from Stanley, was a brilliant thing until they started letting out when it was empty and the cunts that would come in would think it was ok to just use your gear, i almost punched someone when i came in to pick up my drums and some smug bastard was sitting behind my kit, with my cymbals and snare drum set up, and couldnt understand why i was taken my stuff away whilst he was practising. We moved out of there soon after as i refused to pay for it anymore when that was happening.

In my old band we used to just practise in the "music" room in the flat on a sunday afternoon, we jammed there almost every sunday afternoon for a year and a half, never had a complaint or visit from the police, even though we had neighbours below us.

Same again with the current band at the palace of crust, we just practise in the living room.

Do you practise with Andy Kite in there? I'm sure he mentioned using somewhere around there that was full of junkies.

No, that's my brother's band The Scandal Extracts, who I used to play for. I also used to play with Andy and Andrew in Static in the City, who I believe you play with now.

Nah man the drums are decent, i love the first song on that CD as well, sadly andy doesnt want to play it anymore, we are still bashing out the traveller tho, albeit changed a wee bit. Your quite frantic on that cd but i love it, my kinda drums!

The drums make me cringe!

Im surprised mark didnt use more triggers on the drums like he usually does, the sound of them isnt brilliant but i think its played well. Thats the thing with your own recordings tho, you pull them apart indefinitely wishing you had done them better, every recording i listen to annoys me because i know i could play it better or it could sound better, but to someone not involved they usually sound decent enough.

Im surprised mark didnt use more triggers on the drums like he usually does, the sound of them isnt brilliant but i think its played well. Thats the thing with your own recordings tho, you pull them apart indefinitely wishing you had done them better, every recording i listen to annoys me because i know i could play it better or it could sound better, but to someone not involved they usually sound decent enough.

My drums are always excellent though.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

Currently Tom's but a log cabin is being built at my house which will be a recording studio / practice studio - hopefully should be ready to use within a month. Can't wait...

We've tried practising in my house a few times, but there's no room for an acoustic drum kit and the drummer doesn't like practising on the V-drums other than on an odd occasion now and again.

We used Steve Milne's place down by the harbour a few times and thought about pitching in for a share of the monthly rent but we weren't sure if we would justify that with enough use and just sort of found ourselves back at Tom's.

Tom's is good. Really good in fact, but I don't like the lack of flexibility of having to book into someone else's practice room. It's a pain in the arse if one of us gets held back at work or something, or get sent away at short notice with work and you can't cancel. We were in on Tuesday this week and tried to book a slot for the following Tuesday and the place is booked solid for 3 weeks. As much as I love Captain Tom and his studio, I can't wait to have our own space and the flexibility it will bring!