aberdeen-music

D.I.Y Guitar gear

Flights

Sooner or later, you have to learn a little basic soldering.

Who wants to drag their guitar into a shop and leave it there- then pay through the nose- because it needs a £2 replacement jack?

Even if you don't see yourself as 'handy', it's quite satisfying to trace problems with your gear and be able to fix them. Every little repair or mod is a step up in confidence, towards building your own pedals, guitars and amps.

Start small. Buy a Switchcraft jack from Thomann or take to bits the plugs on your once-favourite cable and re-solder the hell out of 'em, until the crackly noises and inopportune cut-outs are a thing of the past.....................

• Upvote 1

I built a BYOC Triboost, been using it for about 4 years without a hitch, and that was my first attempt at soldering.

Make sure you get a fairly low power soldering iron (the cheapy pen style ones are ideal for this kind of circuit) and a solder sucker, and just take your time. The triboost circuit took me about 3 evenings from start to finish. I've been meaning to build another BYOC pedal actually.

I built a BYOC tubescreamer clone. It's become my favourite pedal - the tweakability of it knocks seven shades of shit out of all the other pedals on my pedal board. I'd highly recommend the BYOC kits - they often come with a range of modding options. The tubescreamer came with two different ic's that you can swap out for different tone, as well as adjustable screws in the pcb - you can either build an identical tubescreamer clone, or a range of hotter/softer tones by tweaking, and even sub in mofset stuff instead. Good fun, but you need a hell of a lot of patience to get it going if you don't have much soldering experience. Their guides are pretty easy to follow too. I'd highly recommend it.

• Upvote 1

I cant see that picture. Probably for the best.

http://www.vibe-o-tronic.co.uk/products.php?brand=1&type=1

That website sells the BYOC pedals in the U.K.

My bank is gonna take a hit

It's an intriguing idea, but they're pretty expensive I think. Especially when you look at builders like these guys:

http://north-effects.co.uk/

http://www.madebymike.co.uk/

I know you get the satisfaction of having something on yr board that you have built yrself, but I'd be worried that my haphazard approach to soldering might make the pedal not that durable.

It's an intriguing idea, but they're pretty expensive I think. Especially when you look at builders like these guys:

http://north-effects.co.uk/

http://www.madebymike.co.uk/

I know you get the satisfaction of having something on yr board that you have built yrself, but I'd be worried that my haphazard approach to soldering might make the pedal not that durable.

those north effects are incredibly priced!

The BYOC stuff is incredibly simple to put together, no working knowledge of electronics required because the guide is literally a step-by-step process (solder this here first, then this, then this). Some of the transistors were a bit difficult to tell apart for me (colour blindness, yay), but I don't think that'd be much a problem for anyone else.

As far as I can tell, the quality of the components is great, and the circuits themselves are based on some top quality gear. You could do it for a lot cheaper if you were to source all the parts yourself, but if it's your first pedal build then it's all there in front you. Those North Effects builds look pretty fucking cool as well.

Have a look at www.ampmaker.com if you fancy making an amp. I made the PP-36 last year but should have made one of the lower powered ones. It's foolishly loud and has no master volume so you can't really get any form of gain without breaking your ears.

The lower powered ones come with pretty good instructions - you can actually see them online before buying.

The kit itself is very good. If you make it and it doesn't work, you can phone/email the guy and he'll tell you what to test and source the problem. Definitely recommended.

Pete

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Have a look at www.ampmaker.com if you fancy making an amp. I made the PP-36 last year but should have made one of the lower powered ones. It's foolishly loud and has no master volume so you can't really get any form of gain without breaking your ears.

The lower powered ones come with pretty good instructions - you can actually see them online before buying.

The kit itself is very good. If you make it and it doesn't work, you can phone/email the guy and he'll tell you what to test and source the problem. Definitely recommended.

Pete

see that guys not making kits till may :(