aberdeen-music

Record Player/Hi Fi

Captain America

What sort of set-up are you looking for? Amp, Speakers, Turntable or Mini Hifi and Turntable? Budget?

I don't really know to be honest. I want good sound out of it (that sounds obvious but you know what I mean) so speakers and then whatever works best?

That was very vague I know. Budget can be changed, couple of hundred quid maybe.

I don't really know to be honest. I want good sound out of it (that sounds obvious but you know what I mean) so speakers and then whatever works best?

That was very vague I know. Budget can be changed, couple of hundred quid maybe.

If you're looking for a good amp/speakers/turntable set-up then the only way you'll get it on that budget is second-hand (there's nowt wrong with that but it's a pest getting the right balance). You're realistically looking at £200 (at least) per unit brand new to get something good. We're not talking Hi-Fi purists sort of stuff, just entry level. Look at Cambridge Audio (Azur 350), NAD (C316BEE), Rotel (RA-04) for Amps. Mission (MX1), Tannoy (Mercury V1), Mordaunt Short (Avant 902i), Wharfdale (Diamond 9.1) for speakers. Pro-Ject Essential Phono/USB is a great entry level turntable. If you need a CD Player that'll be another wad, but i guess you could go the i-pod through a DAC or dock route.

You can get a decent mini hifi for around the £250-£300 (Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon all make very good all-in-ones) mark and a turntable for the £100 mark on a budget but you won't get a great depth to the sound.

http://www.richersounds.com/hifi

Decent place to look for bargains as they usually have good end-of-line stuff for discount prices and some reasonable package deals.

Can't stress enough that if it was me buying i would want to hear the stuff first.

Haha, I was just on there. Google searching lead me to it. There are £100 amplifiers but are they just proper guff and a waste of money?

There's a £399 bundle that looks nice but would have to buy turntable as well.

Haha, I was just on there. Google searching lead me to it. There are £100 amplifiers but are they just proper guff and a waste of money?

There's a £399 bundle that looks nice but would have to buy turntable as well.

The Cambridge Audio Topaz series are ok i guess, i find they lack a little bit of grunt (mainly clarity at low volume) against the Azur series personally but they're still worth a listen. Partnered with Tannoy Mercury V1's or the Mission MX1's you'd get a decent sound for the money.

Make sure whatever Turntable you get has a built in pre-amp as a lot of amps don't have dedicated phono-stages these days.

I've found the two turntables I've had which had built in pre-amps sounded a bit hissy, and less responsive to EQ on the system they are plugged into. I've now got a Project Essential, which plugs into my Yamaha amp which sounds much clearer, and the EQ has much more of an effect. Lovely sound.

I also recommend Mordaunt-Short speakers. There's usually a fair few going on eBay. I got mine there. Not brilliant cosmetically, but they sound awesome.