aberdeen-music

PC recording question...

jon

My trusty digital 8 track is on its last legs, so I'm looking a switching to a fairly simple PC set up. What software (ideally free!) do people use? I'd mainly be stick a mic in through USB. Is it worth looking at Garageband?

I have stuck bloodymindedly to my 8 track for years, so this is all new to me.

Cockos Reaper and a USB interface is all I use. Reaper is free to try for a month then about £30 if you want to buy it. Great value for money and updates are free for a couple of years too.

This topic's came up a few times so there's loads of good reading on the forum for it:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/threads/whats-your-recording-setup-and-method.47957/

+1 for Reaper.

We have all sorts of DAWs, including ProTools, Soundscape and older Nuendos and stuff like that and of course the brilliant Radar - but when it comes to editing, Reaper is my weapon of choice.

And it is stupidly easy to use! You don't have to build a virtual mixer, organise your routing, collate your sound files into a media pool, or do any of the other frustratingly pointless nonsense that so many other DAWs require. And you can mix files types and sample rates and even edit between them. And it comes complete with its own Autotune, beat detective, harmonizer and all the other effects you could need.

And it has just the best squeeze and stretch tool on the market today.

On a minor point of order, it costs $60 if you want to pay for a private licence, but there is no limit to the lenth of time you can try it out.

I would have to dissagree with Mr. Blue Mountain.

Even if you have access to one of the hybrid hardware-software packages, Reaper is seriously better!

The only thing that come close, is ProTools HDX, but that costs about £6k and then you still have to either get a deal on Autotune and a few of the other plugs that you need, or fork out for them. And I still prefer Reaper for editing.

BTW, the BBC is now using Reaper for its outside broadcast trucks - how's that for an endorsement!

I used to use Cubase (always been heavily reliant on vst instruments and effects) but not since discovering Reaper.. its (much) cheap(er), has solid vst support, is constantly updated and is easy to use.

So pretty much echo-ing whats already been said.

vive la reapolution! nah..that doesn't work

I would have to dissagree with Mr. Blue Mountain.

Even if you have access to one of the hybrid hardware-software packages, Reaper is seriously better!

The only thing that come close, is ProTools HDX, but that costs about £6k and then you still have to either get a deal on Autotune and a few of the other plugs that you need, or fork out for them. And I still prefer Reaper for editing.

BTW, the BBC is now using Reaper for its outside broadcast trucks - how's that for an endorsement!

I totally agree with Mr. Byre regarding Reaper.

However, the hybrid hardware-software package route may have gotten the OP freebie DAW software which is what they said they would like "ideally". Mind you, a freebie isn't a freebie if you have to by hardware.

My rationale was also guided by my notion that SonarX1LE came with V-Vocal which is Cakewalk's (albeit limited) autotune style plugin. However, I just checked an it doesn't.

Sounds like Reaper is a good replacement for your 8 track. Perhaps an digital 8 track that can double up as an audio interface along with Reaper would be a good option? I have a Tascam 24 track hard drive recorder and although it is a bit of a pain to set up, it's been a pretty useful tool for capturing stuff on the fly. I've just got a laptop but think I'd still reach for the Tascam in certain situations.

I've just bought Cubase 6 ... this is partly down to my familiarity with it and the years I have been trying before buying. Can't wait to get stuck in to some of the new features.

I bought the scarlet 2i2, Came with ableton software, but i didnt get along with it! So i use cubase LE4, which i got free from a line6 hd400 (which i returned) And it works perfectly, Not sure if thats what your looking for but another option to look at! Mic recording trough my SM57

• 1 month later...
I have Cubace LE (which I find quite hard to fathom sometimes) & Reaper (really like Reaper) .... but has anyone got or tried ... Ableton Live Lite 8 ?

would be interested to know how they like or use it !

Dave uses Ableton for all his Daemons stuff. He might be able to chip in here.

I use Ableton pretty much exclusively. Just out of familiarity more than anything else. I've used Pro-Tools, Cubase but always come back to Ableton for some reason. I find it pretty straightforward to use, and their online support is really good if you do have any issues. I've got Reaper installed but never really used it in anger. Mind you, long weekend ahead so there's every chance....

What headphone recommendations do people have for home recording. I'm currently using some really old Sony headphones that are horrendously uncomfortable and sound a little thin. I intend on getting some monitors when i move later in the year and can have things set up more permanently but for now i'd like a good quality set of headphones that come in under £150.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
What headphone recommendations do people have for home recording. I'm currently using some really old Sony headphones that are horrendously uncomfortable and sound a little thin. I intend on getting some monitors when i move later in the year and can have things set up more permanently but for now i'd like a good quality set of headphones that come in under £150.

I'm about to pick up a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 IIs, one of the industry standards. The 'Basic Edition' (BE) comes without velour ear pads/3m coiled cord and is priced at £140 as opposed to £160 for the 'full' package...still undecided on which to go for.

I'm about to pick up a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 IIs, one of the industry standards. The 'Basic Edition' (BE) comes without velour ear pads/3m coiled cord and is priced at £140 as opposed to £160 for the 'full' package...still undecided on which to go for.

I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and DT990 Pro. But i dunno, i'm not sure that open backed would yield a significant difference to closed back despite the increased open stage.

I have some Shure in-ear earphones I use as well as Tapco monitors, I much prefer these in-ear one to the bigger headphones... the sound is pretty good and no leakage... they were about £150 ... E2c model, these are not made anymore, but updated version are available. Also they make your iPod sound AMAZING !

Each to their own i guess but there's no way i'd monitor or mix on in-ear phones :/ I'm not questioning the quality of those earphones at all, i own a pair of Shure in-ears myself and they are fantastic for my mp3 player, but they have nowhere near the depth of sound spatially and field-wise than a set of open backed headphones or the isolation of a set of closed back over ears.

Dave uses Ableton for all his Daemons stuff. He might be able to chip in here.

aye it's good. really intuitive and easy to record audio into, not quite the same for editing as a dedicated track editor but great if you want to mix it with effects, loop stuff and then do it all live.

I use audacity for cleaning up audio tracks before putting them into ableton. might have to check reaper out though after this thread.

Each to their own i guess but there's no way i'd monitor or mix on in-ear phones :/ I'm not questioning the quality of those earphones at all, i own a pair of Shure in-ears myself and they are fantastic for my mp3 player, but they have nowhere near the depth of sound spatially and field-wise than a set of open backed headphones or the isolation of a set of closed back over ears.

Just ordered a pair of HD650s, will report back with my opinion. In terms of headphones as a mixing and review tool I believe open backs are supposed to be best. Recon if you need them for multiple functions you'd maybe be as well getting closed.

Just ordered a pair of HD650s, will report back with my opinion. In terms of headphones as a mixing and review tool I believe open backs are supposed to be best. Recon if you need them for multiple functions you'd maybe be as well getting closed.

They're a little bit out of my price range but they'd be good. I plan on using them for just listening to music as well so i'm leaning more towards closed back.