aberdeen-music

Union Terrace Gardens Referendum

To go along with the Union Terrace Gardens discussion thread here -

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/threads/union-terrace-gardens.46557/

I thought we should try a quick unofficial poll of how you want to vote in the ongoing referendum, or also if you just don't want to.

Any discussion about the merits of UTG versus the CGP should be kept on the discussion thread, this is just for the poll, but feel free to post here if you simply want to say why you voted the way you did.

This is the exact same wording as the official referendum, but with the third option (not voting) added.

You are being asked to choose between retaining Union Terrace Gardens or replacing them with the proposed City Garden Project design.

Yeah that thread has pretty much shown the general feelings of the board already has it not?

That's what I wanted to find out - it was a pretty in-depth discussion at times and I wondered if maybe some people just didn't want to get involved. By definition it's the ones who are vociferous about their view that are heard from the most, and I don't think we can necessarily assume any demographic. Maybe there are posters here who are for the project but didn't want to have to discuss it or get into an argument.

Thought this would be a better way of getting an idea of the lie of the land.

Think Frosty is right that a lot of people won't want to get involved for fear of flames.

On this, my very own girlfriend suggested recently that she is probably going to vote for CGP but has been too scared to tell me.

(Not because I would strike her, just my passionate anti-CGP stance)

Unfortunately I think that the confusion and misinformation created from the past 4 years of ongoing Web/Plaza/GCP "have they voted yes yet?" polls and consultations has taken its toll on a good portion of the public. Most of my friends and colleagues are past caring about this, which is unfortunate.

I could think of about 6,500 better ways to spend the cash.

I think a lot of people will have voted no, not because of having a particular affinity with the gardens, but because there are way way more important things ACC could be doing with the money it will cost. Like I've said, I support the CGP, but I object to it coming out of public money that's been built up by shit like 24 hour parking charges, extortiante price hikes for parking in the city centre, school closures, cutting bin collections etc. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

I think a lot of people will have voted no, not because of having a particular affinity with the gardens, but because there are way way more important things ACC could be doing with the money it will cost. Like I've said, I support the CGP, but I object to it coming out of public money that's been built up by shit like 24 hour parking charges, extortiante price hikes for parking in the city centre, school closures, cutting bin collections etc. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Haven't you heard? We are simply 'unlocking' funds that cannot be used on anything else. It's going to cost the tax payer nothing and will actually 'pay for itself' as TIF is a 'gift'.