aberdeen-music

The Real Booze Thread

ca_gere

Dalwhinnie 15. Or the 21 if it's going. 12 is perfectly fine, but not as good.

Knockando is lovely too. Aspall Cider is the fucking tits. Brewdog is gash. Guinness is lovely, too. Sweetheart stout is too sickly for me.

xx

I live 5 minutes away from the Knockando distillery and one of my uncle's works there. mmmm cheap whiskey :)

I had a pint of their ginger beer which I thought was pretty rancid. It maybe tastes better bottled though. Their seasonal special ales are usually cracking.

I like their ginger beer, although have only had it from a bottle. I like it better than Crabbie's, which is a bit too sweet. Williams' has a better balanced flavour.

Auchentoshan 16 year old single bourbon cask is the finest whisky I have ever tasted. Slight hints of Terry's chocolate orange on the finish.

Divine.

I do rather love a Williams brothers ale, in addition to Moor's Northern Star. If you are partial to hoppy ales with a slight fruit infusion, buy a pint of Moor's Northern Star if you ever see it on draft (or in the big bottles they sell in select off licences).

Harviestoun do a really neat little ale called Haggis Hunter, and I rather love the Highland Brewing Company and some of their ales - I'd recommend Orkney Scapa Special, Orkney Best, Orkney Blast, and Orkney IPA.

I fucking love beer. And whisky.

Thatcher's Gold and Jagermeister. Standard.

Together? That sounds violent.

I love cider. I didn't really drink good cider until I met the missus, since she is from Somerset, the land of cider. Weston's make pretty awesome cider which is readily available in most supermarkets. Weston's Old Rosie is the business, and you can get it in Morrisons. Best supermarket Cider by a mile. Better than pretty much all regular pub ciders too. 7.4% but goes down like a 4% alcopop. It's dangerous. All cloudy, with the fermented gunk at the bottom of the bottle, so you know it's good.

Went down to Somerset last summer. Everyone seems to make Cider in their shed, and sells it by the roadside in big plastic cannisters that have probably been used for motor oil or antifreeze in the past. Warm and flat. Phwoar. Loads of the pubs do local ciders too. Had one called Bee Sting, an 8.4% Pear Cider, tasted like a wonderful freshly pressed juice, so I was swigging it as such. 4 pints later (in quite a short space of time, due to its drinkability) I was ruined.

Too many beers to mention: BrewDog, Black Isle, Magic Rock, Stone, Williams Brothers, Harviestoun blah blah. Love a pint of Thornbridge Jaipur if I spy it in a pub too (only ever see it in Glasgow). Too many shit Belhaven pubs in Aberdeen.

I have a whole beer cupboard in the flat now. RAMMED!

Spirit wise I enjoy a Morgans, Kracken Rum, Scapa Whisky is my fave, along with many others.

I try not to drink during the week these days mind you, as I'm a lightweight now.

• Upvote 1

I've seen that Port Ellen before and always been tempted. I'll pretty much buy anything with a minimal D.I.Y looking label. I got a bottle of Bruchlladaich (sp?) from a friend who was visiting a few months back. The nicest whisky I think I've ever had. I wish I appreciated Whisky a bit better, I just know I really like it. I mean i can tell a really bad one from a decent one and a decent one from a really good one but my tastes haven't formed properly yet so I'm not sure which kind I prefer.

Have also gotten into Bourbon recently. It's more than a poor man's whisky I've come to realise. It can be really sweet, which is something completely different to a whisky.

Got this Redemption Rye stuff. Hand written batch and bottle number = ace-ic. Tasted beautiful too.

Redemption-Rye-whiskey.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've seen that Port Ellen before and always been tempted. I'll pretty much buy anything with a minimal D.I.Y looking label. I got a bottle of Bruchlladaich (sp?) from a friend who was visiting a few months back. The nicest whisky I think I've ever had. I wish I appreciated Whisky a bit better, I just know I really like it. I mean i can tell a really bad one from a decent one and a decent one from a really good one but my tastes haven't formed properly yet so I'm not sure which kind I prefer.

Bruichladdich is probably my joint second favourite whisky with Auchentoshan 1998 sherry cask matured. Port Ellen is lovely, I'd love to be able to buy a bottle, but don't have a spare £500 kicking around. I do like to treat myself to a nip when I'm out and feeling a bit extravagant though!

Bruichladdich also do a really good gin called The Botanist, lovely and crisp. Great with some tonic and cucumber.

ProductImage.aspx?pc=GIN%2fBOT2&w=270

Beer wise, I'm also a fan of Innis and Gunn and Samuel Smith's.

• Upvote 1