aberdeen-music

The Real Booze Thread

ca_gere

Has anyone on here ever had a pickleback shot? It's a shot of whisky followed by a shot of pickle juice. Sounds disgusting but tastes amazing. If it's a good brine with lots of flavour and a good whisky the two compliment each other perfectly. A homemade version would just be to pour some of the brine from a jar of gherkins. Try it.

A few places in Aberdeen do these now and even have their own pickle juice (Tippling House and Musa). I've tried a few but get heartburn after too many....

Apparently all the rage with you guys in Poland.

Edited by Johnny Mac

I found out yesterday much to my surprise that Stella Artois do Cider now. Saw a stella bottle that just didnt look right, had to take a closer look. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

_51078326_sacidrebottle.jpg

Surprisingly good for an off-shoot cider. Sorry, I mean cidre. It's the cider I will drink in a bar if they have it.

I have never tried this (and probably never will):

Carling-Cider.jpg

Like the Stella one, the Carling one is okay too. It fills the criteria of being better than Strongbow, Woodpecker, Blackthorn etc and all those other bottom-rung ciders you often get on tap at pubs. It's usually super cheap in supermarkets so worth a go now and again. At a pub, I'd prefer to have a Westons cider if they have it, otherwise I won't bother with cider.

A few places in Aberdeen do these now and even have their own pickle juice (Tippling House and Musa). I've tried a few but get heartburn after too many....

Apparently all the rage with you guys in Poland.

Nice one. I'll have to try them when I'm back. Pickles and other pickled food stuffs are much underated in my opinion. Except eggs. Pickled eggs are just the worst.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

You know how you can go your whole life thinking that something tastes utterly repugnant, then all of a sudden one day you taste it and suddenly it's tastes ace? (I put it down to taste buds maturing). Well I've finally realised that I like whisky this week. Visiting Moray / Speyside to pick out wedding venues and driving past all the distilleries put me in the mood to try it again, and expecting it to still taste like tramp piss, i was very surprised to realise I can now appreciate and enjoy a whisky. Tried Glenfiddich, Glen Lovat and Aberlour tonight (in between pints of Stella) and enjoyed all of them.

• 5 months later...

You know how you can go your whole life thinking that something tastes utterly repugnant, then all of a sudden one day you taste it and suddenly it's tastes ace? (I put it down to taste buds maturing). Well I've finally realised that I like whisky this week. Visiting Moray / Speyside to pick out wedding venues and driving past all the distilleries put me in the mood to try it again, and expecting it to still taste like tramp piss, i was very surprised to realise I can now appreciate and enjoy a whisky. Tried Glenfiddich, Glen Lovat and Aberlour tonight (in between pints of Stella) and enjoyed all of them.

I remember that moment for me. Weirdly It was a glass of Laphroaig that did it. It wasn't so much that I really enjoyed the whisky (although I do now), it was more a realisation that there's a deep flavour thing going on past the ethanol burn that I wanted to get more of. Up until then I only considered whisky a last resort drink that makes me angry and gives me headaches.

I've noticed Bruichladich (sp?) is currently the whisky du jour here in poland. It's popping up in just about every trendy bar and liquor store. Anyone (eupraxia?) know if there's a particular reason for that?

Edited by ca_gere

I've noticed Bruichladich (sp?) is currently the whisky du jour here in poland. It's popping up in just about every trendy bar and liquor store. Anyone (eupraxia?) know if there's a particular reason for that?

I can only relay what I know about the recent history of the distillery, but assumptions can then be made about why Bruichladdich seems to be quite ubiquitous just now.

It was quite a fiercely independent and 'boutique' distillery for a while, and production wasn't huge due to the distillery avoiding modernisation and automation - each stage of production was done manually, which is quite unusual for distilleries these days - and the distillery was not operating at full capacity.

In 2012 the distillery and brand was purchased by Remy Cointreau, and I suspect they had a plan to invest quite heavily in their marketing policy. Most bars with any sort of whisky selection now tend to stock Bruichladdich, particularly the Laddie 10, and almost all whisky shops stock a couple of their expressions. This definitely wasn't the case until about a year ago.

They have started to maximise production, so they have a lot more stock to work with, and consequently they've invested heavily in international markets, which is probably why you'll be seeing it regularly over in the States.

The Laddie 10 is quite a nice malt, but I recently received training on the full range of Bruichladdich expressions, and some of them are seriously dire, because they are still very young malts (which is why most of their whiskies do not contain an age statement). 

They have released an expression called The Octomore, which they claim is the most heavily peated malt in the world, but it's just a fucking fad and tastes like Lucifer's scorched ejaculate. It's a pander to the bravado that exists in the Scotch market: "Oooh, I only like smokey whiskies - you can keep your honeyed fruity shite." Yeah whatever, asshole.

Give Bruichladdich another 10 years, and I think some of their malts will be excellent. But for now, most of their malts are just too young to taste good.
  • Upvote 1

They have released an expression called The Octomore, which they claim is the most heavily peated malt in the world, but it's just a fucking fad and tastes like Lucifer's scorched ejaculate. It's a pander to the bravado that exists in the Scotch market: "Oooh, I only like smokey whiskies - you can keep your honeyed fruity shite." Yeah whatever, asshole.

On the subject of peat levels I got a wee taster bottle of Smokehead a while ago.  It smells amazing but it's completely and utterly undrinkable.  Record breaking peat levels are just stupid.  Make something that tastes nice instead.

On the subject of peat levels I got a wee taster bottle of Smokehead a while ago.  It smells amazing but it's completely and utterly undrinkable.  Record breaking peat levels are just stupid.  Make something that tastes nice instead.

I completely agree. But due to human nature and our willingness to "out-do" others, there is definitely a market for exceptionally smokey whiskies, so people can boast about how smokey they drink it in an attempt to appear more of a whisky enthusiast than someone who might opt for a lighter, more delicately flavoured Speyside or Highland. I see and hear this bullshit all the time. People are dicks.

I completely agree. But due to human nature and our willingness to "out-do" others, there is definitely a market for exceptionally smokey whiskies, so people can boast about how smokey they drink it in an attempt to appear more of a whisky enthusiast than someone who might opt for a lighter, more delicately flavoured Speyside or Highland. I see and hear this bullshit all the time. People are dicks.

I like peaty/smokey whisky :(

I like peaty/smokey whisky :(

So do I.  Talisker is one of my favourites, but there's a small number marketed with obscene levels of peat (Smokehead, Big Pete etc) and they take it too far.

Seeing as we're talking whisky I've always been pretty snobby about the mass market blends and stuck to single malts. But recently I've been picking up bottles of Famous Grouse, Black Grouse and Johnnie Walker Black as they're often reduced in the supermarket and have to say I'm totally converted.  Single Malts are still ace for getting that unique taste of the distillery and the great variety of flavours on offer but if you just want a solid, easy drinking bottle of whisky those mainstream blends are great value.

So do I.  Talisker is one of my favourites, but there's a small number marketed with obscene levels of peat (Smokehead, Big Pete etc) and they take it too far.

Seeing as we're talking whisky I've always been pretty snobby about the mass market blends and stuck to single malts. But recently I've been picking up bottles of Famous Grouse, Black Grouse and Johnnie Walker Black as they're often reduced in the supermarket and have to say I'm totally converted.  Single Malts are still ace for getting that unique taste of the distillery and the great variety of flavours on offer but if you just want a solid, easy drinking bottle of whisky those mainstream blends are great value.

Black Grouse is a great little tipple, I took a bottle over to Ukraine for my wife's father after her mum and gran got him a bottle of Jack Daniels instead of whisky.

Keep seeing the Jura reduced in the supermarket, but need to finish the sherry cask Grants I have first.