aberdeen-music

The Real Booze Thread

ca_gere

Beer-wise, I like ales, especially darker ones. I've been drinking the brown version of Leffe recently. Forgotten what I used to drink in the UK but I remember I liked Hobgoblin a lot. Here in Saigon I know a few places that brew really good, cheap dark beer on the premises. One is attached to the Czech consulate (it's said that, legally, it's in the Czech Rep...), another is owned by a guy who spent some time in East Germany back in the Communist era, and another is a (very) Vietnamese buffet restaurant out in the sticks... The dark version of Beerlao is also really good. Pretty hard to go wrong with ales and stout really, I was back in Scotland recently and even found the brown Tennents (I think?) pretty inoffensive. Couldn't find any Hobgoblin but I was drinking Old Speckled Hen and various Brewdogs, nice but not amazing. I used to drink incredibly cheap local Vietnamese lagers but stopped because of the severity of the hangovers... A friend once brought home 5 litres of homebrew he bought for barely more than a quid, which was actually pretty decent (the taste, not the price, which was obviously beyond amazing)

These days I also drink Sake and Korean Soju. Still like a Mojito now and again; I used to love White Russians but haven't had one for years. I briefly dipped into drinking wines at uni (had a flatmate who'd actually studied it in his last year of school), wouldn't mind getting into that again sometime. And whiskies for the future...

I'm extremely dense about whisky, I've never ever liked the stuff, but had a couple on News Years Eve and enjoyed them, this stuff called Black & White. I met a Scottish guy later and he was talking about whisky and I mentioned I liked that one and he laughed at me. Seemingly it is not a good whisky, he said he "wouldn't use it to wash his windows".

It's a blend, but I can't be doing with cocks like that. I'm a big whisky fan, have about 25 bottles, have visited several distilleries, am a member of a whisky club for tastings, etc but as far as I'm concerned, if you want to drink Grouse on the rocks, fill your boots. Whisky snobbery boils my piss. Black and White has quite an interesting history too, with a few famous drinkers and film/book appearances. My favourite blend is BNJ (like a previous poster, I also love products with a really basic looking label) but when I'm on it like Wallace and Gromit, I'll normally just decant a half of (Craig)Whyte & Mackay into three 500ml coke bottles after sooking the top out of each and then blast the lot. I like to party.

• Upvote 4

I'm not that adventurous when it comes to drinks. I drink beer until I'm pissed then switch to gin. That's it. In terms of gins, I like Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks. If you offer me Gordons I will spit it in your face.

EDIT - also it should be in a tall glass with a good squeeze of lime in it.

EDIT EDIT - discovered the world's best drink by accident a few weeks ago, by total accident. Had no tonic water or ice in the house so, substitued bitter lemon in for tonic, and frozen raspberries in for ice cubes. Oh. My. God. Gayest thing I've ever drank but just magical :)

• Upvote 1

I lied. This is my regular tipple. 2 Gluttonies and half a wrath.

7-sin.jpg

p.s. do they still serve these?

The only ever time I tried any of those cocktails I got two Envys right before my friends announced we had to finish up our drinks and move on somewhere else immediately. I had to down what was basically one and a half pints of milk. Horrible.

Hendricks and tonic with cucumber: HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

qft.....my mate introduced me to it the other week when we were out, i always thought 'vegetables in ma drink, fiiittt? yir a pure raj' but it was a shit ton better than lime. Just what you need after several shitty pints, nice and refreshing. was like drinking my freezer.....

Pimms is terrible. Apart from when you’re at Rockness, the sun is shining and the Pimms bus is there and you seemingly can’t stay away. Tastes even better when you’re wearing a straw hat and some sandals with a flowery shirt/shorts combo. As soon as is rains though, Pimms reverts to tasting like ass.

• Upvote 1