aberdeen-music

hitchhikers guide to the galaxy trilogy of five

framheim

right, i'm currently rereading the whole series again and was wondering what everyones favourite one was? i've just gotten to about half way through 'so long and thanks for all the fish' and i'm enjoying it much more than the other 3 before it and more than i remember enjoying 'mostly harmless' as well. obviously they're all great, but if you had to pick one which would it be and why? i feel the writing in 'so long...' is much stronger and by this point douglas adams had really mastered his comic timing. it just flows so much better and there's a lot less of the really rubbish alien names that was in the rest of them.

also does anyone know what the tv series went upto? what point in the books it reached.

Personally i like the so long and thanks for all the fish and life the universe and everything.

The writing and way the story flows in those two books are great. You should also try and get hold of both Dirk Gently books and Starship titanic, which was written by Terry Jones, but is from the DOuglas Adams game of the same name.

The tv series goes upto the end of Restaurant at the end of the Universe, and details of the film can be found here and here .

Guest allsystemsfail

I'm guessing that it's an American financed movie, but what is wrong with a British cast? Martin Freeman? Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to cast him as Arthur Dent? Hollywood has consistantly shown how it can take a successful British idea and ruin it. My expectations aren't good.

hmmm, dodgy cast. really not sure about mos def as ford prefect. martin freeman is the guy from the office yea? he'll probably be okay. perhaps the guy from pirates of the caribbean and this life woulda been better though. does look like a predominently british cast bar trillian zaphod and ford. i guess so long as it starts where it's meant to start and it's not in rural america then it'll all be fine.

yes but the whole point of the trilogy is that it all contradicts each other. The radio show is the original, the books go into greater detail and includes things missing from the raio show, the tv series misses out huge chunks of stuff from both the radio series and books, the game has nothing what so ever to do with all the other forms of the trilogy and the film as i mentioned before has a character that is not featured in any of the other mediums, and will probably give the finger to some of the other stuff mentioned in the books, tv and radio series.

yes but the whole point of the trilogy is that it all contradicts each other. The radio show is the original' date=' the books go into greater detail and includes things missing from the raio show, the tv series misses out huge chunks of stuff from both the radio series and books, the game has nothing what so ever to do with all the other forms of the trilogy and the film as i mentioned before has a character that is not featured in any of the other mediums, and will probably give the finger to some of the other stuff mentioned in the books, tv and radio series.[/quote']

I was only pointing out that about half of restaurant at the end of the universe was missing from the TV sreies, rather than it being "upto the end of Restaurant at the end of the Universe, . "

Just in case anyone gets upset cos the guy who runs the universe (and his cat) and Zaphod Beeblrox the fourth aren't in it.

Frankly I don't care about the film. I'll watch it but I just know it's going to depress me, so why even bother.

If anyone knows where to a copy of the radio shows though....

• 4 weeks later...