aberdeen-music

Low Watt Heads .. Blackstar or Marshall ?

Michael

I'm looking to purchase a low wattage head/cabs ... I'm thinking of either the Blackstar HT5 or the Marshall Haze 15. Do any of you good folks have any experience with either of these amps, even your perosnal opinions would be apreciated. Hoping to get down to Edinburgh next weekend to try some out.

Oh .. and I don't want to buy an Orange Tiny terror lol.

Cheers ...

They have the HT-5 in R&B if you want to try it out. The market has been flooded with low wattage heads recently, depends what you want from it - price,1 channel, 2 channel, hi gain, cleans, all tube, reverb, attenuators for adjusting wattage etc. The most flexible one from what I have seen/heard is the Egnater Tweaker, but it's pricier than most of the opposition. Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh should have them to try.

Thanks for the info ... with regard to what I'm looking for : 1 Channel would be ok 2 would be great providing the EQ was balanced and didn't need to be tweaked every time I switched channels. I don't need a lot of gain ... don't/can't play metal. And to be honest too many buttons and knobs just confuse me resulting in me wasting time fiddling with the knobs rather than playing guitar. May budget would be approx £500.

Just chatted with the good folks at R&B and they are getting in some new Blackstars in a week or so. That would be handy.

Thanks for the info ... with regard to what I'm looking for : 1 Channel would be ok 2 would be great providing the EQ was balanced and didn't need to be tweaked every time I switched channels. I don't need a lot of gain ... don't/can't play metal. And to be honest too many buttons and knobs just confuse me resulting in me wasting time fiddling with the knobs rather than playing guitar. May budget would be approx £500.

Just chatted with the good folks at R&B and they are getting in some new Blackstars in a week or so. That would be handy.

If you can stretch your budget a bit this is what I'm craving. http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/Egnater-Rebel The 20 and 30 watt heads are both fully switchable between 1watt and full power. 30 watt is the 2 channel version. Once again pricey, but the black versions are currently on sale so the 20 watt is <£500 and the 30 watt <£600. They sound majestic. Even the metal community loves them despite being quite low gain - boosted they sound amazing. http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/81540-i-just-tried-egnater-rebel-20-head-depth-review-my-silly-opinons-too.html

I'm considering the Tweaker still, but I'm never down that way to try one out. Would that 20watt single channel one be loud enough for gigging?

The tweaker is 15watts. It's the rebel that is 20 watts. Should still be loud enough though and can always mic them.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_v55_hd.htm

If you can look past the name these are meant to be quite good and would be plenty loud for gigs. The information around seems to suggest Bugera have improved reliability of their amps too.

Ah yeah, I meant the single channel Rebel 20. Not the Tweaker. I've only heard demos and read reviews, but they sound superb.

The 2 channel Rebel 30 is only £595 at the moment if you buy it from guitar guitar and don't mind it all black. The 'vintage' looking one is £699! Same with the black rebel 20 being cheaper than the vintage style rebel 20. I think it's worth it for the extra channel though. Has a bit more gain too if you ever go back to heavier stuff. The rebel 20 has plenty of balls though as this clip shows.

Hmmm my head does say "Tiny Terror" or even "Dark Terror" but I just can't get past the look. Here's a quesiton ... if the only effects I use are stompboxes (overdrive and sometimes a mild chorus or delay) do I really need an effects loop ? Thanks for the replies. Better get back to work now .....

I have one of these (15W):

StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=07835BFB-F35F-4547-81D3-A74A472FF012&Image_Type=image

Which I play through a vintage 2x12:

228278_10150178797864469_671999468_6640377_3447014_n.jpg

I'm really very fond of it indeed. It's really versatile and has a lovely clean tone, with plenty of headroom without breaking up. I pretty much use no gain on it at all and I've gigged it several times. It's never let me down (touch wood!). A nice reverb pedal really brings it to life, it absolutely loves my Malekko Chicklet. I've heard good things about the Minimat too.

• Upvote 1

I know it's bad practice but I watched some video footage of the Tiny and Dark Terrors on You Tube last night .... Wow ! Now that's what I call sound. And they have a valve driven effects loop. Time for a rethink. Anyway off to the shops tomorrow so hopefully have a new amp setup soon. Cheers for the input.