aberdeen-music

Cats

Jaaakkkeee

Still seems odd tho. You would have to handcuff me to something before you would be allowed to remove either of my pets from my house, there is no way id be allowing the CP folk to take the cat anywhere. At the same time, the CP are completely out of order, you dont lie to people if you want to take back an animal you dont feel is being looked after properly. I know first hand how insistent a cat can be when it wants out, mines will howl in my room at 5am until i open the window and no amount of shouting at it or throwing things at it will make any difference. 

It would be interesting to know exactly how explicit they were about the cat not going out, i know you have been told it was a suggestion, im sure the person at CP would say it was an insistence, but at the same time, its odd of the CP to say such a thing in the first place, a cat being run down doesnt mean it should not be allowed out, these guys know this better than anyone, there must have been something more to why they didnt want the cat outside. 

Went over to the ex's and got to hang out with the cats. Rupert's as cool as ever. Not giving a fuck. Petted him. Robin was hiding on top of a cupboard and I was told "she won't let you pet her, she needs to calm down first". I climbed on the kitchen worktops and petted her. Straight away she looked at me as if to say "I recognise you, you pet good" and started rubbing her head on my palm. Decent. 

• 2 weeks later...

A question for users with indoor cats: How much food do you feed them per day, and what is their feeding regime?

Currently, we feed our cat 2 pouches a day, over 4 sittings. We are thinking of giving him 2 big meals rather than 4 smaller ones. Mainly in the hope that a big meal before bed will tire him out.

A question for users with indoor cats: How much food do you feed them per day, and what is their feeding regime?

Currently, we feed our cat 2 pouches a day, over 4 sittings. We are thinking of giving him 2 big meals rather than 4 smaller ones. Mainly in the hope that a big meal before bed will tire him out.

We give ours 2 pouches a day (between the two of them, so they each get the equivilent of one pouch a day).  One at breakfast and one after we've had our tea.  There's some dry food in a bowl as well for them to pick at as well.  Larsson is quite a bit bigger than ours so I'd imagine you'd need to give him a bit more than we give our two but it depends on his activity levels as well.

Cats are pretty good at self regulating so if you leave food out they shouldn't just eat it all like a dog would

Cats are pretty good at self regulating so if you leave food out they shouldn't just eat it all like a dog would

Some are, i cant leave food out for my cat all the time as she will just sit and eat till there is nothing left, no matter how much she has eaten, keeping her from going over weight is a challenge at times. 

I feed Scampi (4.5kgs) a pouch first thing, and then she gets a bowl of dry food in the evening. I would go more by how active your cat is. Does he go outside a lot? Scams is out most of the day and evening right now a days so she gets a little bit more in the summer than she does in the winter. In winter she gets a half pouch first thing, the second half about lunch time and a bit of dry in the evening. I've known people who feed their cats 2/3 pouches a day with dry food as well. It really depends on the cat. One good thing in your favour is im taking it Larsson is a male? If so you dont need to worry about weight gain as much, speyed females put on weight much quicker than males do. 

My struggle right now is having the dog and the cat eating the same kinda food, the Vets Essencials stuff you get, and the cat just goes and helps herself when the dog is not eating which is a right pain, the dog doesnt protect her food in anyway and the cat just comes along and hisses at her until she goes away and then sits down and eats whatever is left in the bowl. 

We give ours 2 pouches a day (between the two of them, so they each get the equivilent of one pouch a day).  One at breakfast and one after we've had our tea.  There's some dry food in a bowl as well for them to pick at as well.  Larsson is quite a bit bigger than ours so I'd imagine you'd need to give him a bit more than we give our two but it depends on his activity levels as well.

Larsson is a massive food snob, so he rarely is caught eating his dry food. He's all about wet food, and will essentially eat until he is sick. He was doing that when we rescued him from cat prison. He's not the most active cat (he just sleeps when we are not there), so I'm not keen to feed him more than 200g wet food a day, but he badgers us an awful lot to have more food. He is the correct proportions and his coat looks good, so I know he is getting enough nutrition, but he acts like he is ravenous in the middle of the night and JUST WONT LEAVE US ALONE! :(

Larsson is a massive food snob, so he rarely is caught eating his dry food. He's all about wet food, and will essentially eat until he is sick. He was doing that when we rescued him from cat prison. He's not the most active cat (he just sleeps when we are not there), so I'm not keen to feed him more than 200g wet food a day, but he badgers us an awful lot to have more food. He is the correct proportions and his coat looks good, so I know he is getting enough nutrition, but he acts like he is ravenous in the middle of the night and JUST WONT LEAVE US ALONE! :(

Hmmm.  When do you feed him?  As soon as you get home or do you wait until after you've eaten?  If it's the former it could be that he expects to ask for food and then get it, rather than having to wait until you've eaten first and then get what he's given.  Kind of a pack mentality, you guys are dominant and should eat first then he'll just take what he's given afterwards. 

What kinda food is he on? Is it Whiska's or Felix? What kinda dry food have you tried him with? I would maybe suggest getting him higher quality food, rather than feeding him more. Go for some of the expensive stuff they sell, it should fill him up a bit more. 

Scamps is quite similar, she will always follow you through to the kitchen, even if she has just eaten in the hope of getting a treat or a bit of something i am cooking, i used to give in thinking she was hungry, but i think she is just greedy so i ignore her now a days, eventually she goes away, usually to bully the dog away from her food. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah my cat eats mostly dry food, he gets wet food as a treat as it can be bad for the teeth. He will badger us at night but I think that's just him being a cat, if we leave out food he will eat what he needs so sometimes there is some left in the morning. This does not apply to packets of treats left out overnight. As a rule though he gets fed in the morning when we wake up and not long before bed.

feeding Dutch my 8yo fat de-catted male acted differently to different foods

I would feed him two pouches a day served in 4 halves during the course of the day. However on the 'meat' every time i headed to the kitchen he chase and barge past me, sit at his bowl and moan like a bitch!

Now I only feed him dry food, I always keep it topped up and he never moans for food anymore, also he manages not to over eat like he would on the meat,

He follows me to bed at night, he knows the routine and sometimes he is ready waiting for me. 

when i bed down to sleep he makes sure he gets under the covers and becomes the little spoon.

993389_10151673102059480_1863774991_n.jp

*edit

also I bought go-cat specially formulated dry food for indoor cats, It was a bit more expensive but I was convinced after I studied the back of the box in Sainsburys for a good 5 minutes.

the cunt just spewed it up again

Edited by fatboy
  • Upvote 4

How long in to a lease should I ask if I'm allowed a cat? Seeing the ones I got with my ex <once a week is just nae use. I need something to annoy me when I eat and meow when I'm trying to sleep.

I presume your lease stipulates a 'no pets' rule? Are you leasing through an agent or directly with the owner of the place?

Chico gets 2 pouches of wet food when I get home from work.  I used to just horse them both into the bowl but he was wolfing it down and being sick as a consequence, more so with fishy ones than meaty ones.  So I space out the two pouches by a little, 10 mins maybe or until I've seen him burp and I'm a bit cagey about fishy varieties.  He has dry food to graze on at other times.  He's also an outdoor cat so he can always dine out if he feels like it.  He's not a brand snob, I buy whatever Whiskas/Felix is on a deal at the supermarket, and some of those Gourmet Solitaire cans on rare occasions (birthday, Christmas etc.).  I usually cut a wee piece of meat off of whatever I'm eating to give to him, but always once I'm finished eating, he knows that, but you can be sure he's on my lap as soon as the fork goes down :)

Statutory pic:

chico_high.jpg

• Upvote 2