aberdeen-music

Cats

Jaaakkkeee

So who watched this last night? I was hoping for a bit more cat footage, but it was still great to watch. Id absolutely love to get a wee camera and GPS on scampi when she is out and about to see how far away she actually goes.

On a related note, the cat seems to be getting better at hunting as she gets older, it was usually one bird a year, ive two in the past two weeks, first one flew away after i got it out her mouth, but this mornings one wasnt so lucky. Dog had no clue what to do with its self when the cat came home with this screaming animal. 

On a related note, the cat seems to be getting better at hunting as she gets older, it was usually one bird a year, ive two in the past two weeks, first one flew away after i got it out her mouth, but this mornings one wasnt so lucky. Dog had no clue what to do with its self when the cat came home with this screaming animal. 

There'll be a large number of newly fledged chicks hanging around, waiting for their parents to come feed them.  Our garden is full of baby sparrows just now.  So it'll be easy pickings for cats which might explain the sudden upsurge in kills yours is making.

There'll be a large number of newly fledged chicks hanging around, waiting for their parents to come feed them.  Our garden is full of baby sparrows just now.  So it'll be easy pickings for cats which might explain the sudden upsurge in kills yours is making.

Yeah that sounds like Scampi, easy targets. Im going to have to get her a second bell or something for her collar, its ok to rescue a bird when im in the house, but during the day would be a nightmare. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well sadly, Scampi is not enjoying the dog as much as she once was, she is hissing and growling quite a lot at her right now, so i've bought some of that Feliway stuff for my flat, hopefully should calm her down a bit. If not, well ill come to that bridge if i have to cross it.

:( 

Edited by The Milner

Which would be getting rid of the dog, yes?

Yeah it would, the cat was here first, and she doesnt take well to being moved about. It would be extremely unfair to move her, it would be fairer to the dog as she is still very young and could adapt a lot quicker. It was always going to be a risk, but its one you cant find out until you try. 

We will see tho, hopefully she will calm down a bit and accept the dog, still early days. 

Edited by The Milner

Yeah i know, its just turned the last two weeks. I'm not sure if the new collar i got the dog has made the difference, this one has a name tag and stuff on it so it makes a noise when the pup runs about which the cat seem to pick up on. Might see how she is with that off and try and find what has caused the change. I dont let the pup chase the cat, or bark at her. They play about in the garden still with no problems, the cat chases the dog and vice versa, no hissing, no growling and no teeth, but as soon as the dog goes inside the cat changes. I'm guessing outside the cat can escape in any direction, but in the flat she is limited so probably feels a bit threatened. 

There are still options tho, ill try anything before i have to make that hard decision. 

Yeah its weird, ive come home tonight and the cat was sleeping next to the dogs bed with the dog sleeping in it, no issues with them even when the dog woke up really excited, as soon as i fed the cat she went into defensive mode again, even tho the dog cant get near her when she eats, and she had finished eating when she started on the dog.

Maybe its me she now hates?!

Im going to speak to the vet and see what they recommend.

So the vet thinks the cat is just playing up as she is beginning to realise the dog is not just visiting for a while, so she is now laying down the law as to what is hers and what the dog is not allowed near. Took the tags off Izzy's collar last night and it seemed to make a difference, the cat wasnt so jumpy when the dog was going around the flat. I'm going to re-arrange my room so its completely the cats room during the day, which should help a bit more as the hallway used to be the cats, but the dog is there during the day now. Vet says the cat seems healthy enough, bright coat and eyes, so at the moment there i shouldnt worry too much, if it affects her health then its time to look at it again.

Hopefully things calm down a bit more over the next few weeks. 

• 1 month later...

Well I kind of know the owner of the cat and she said that the cat was hit by a car before it was handed in to the cats protection. When it was rehomed to my friend they said they would prefer it if the cat didn't go outside but this wasn't a compulsary thing, the cat was scratching all the time to get out, so it was let out and was fine, they then pulled off this stunt after someone saw it outside.

Presumably that's not the whole truth. Cat's Protection are so swamped with unwanted cats just now that I doubt they'd go out of their way to take one back in unless they had a GOOD reason to.

xx

I'm not doubting that, it's more the whole lying thing that worries me, and makes me think that they didn't actually talk to the family to see what the situation was before taking it back.