aberdeen-music

Formula 1 Thread

Lemonade

I've added you and Chris.

I did a similar one last year, and it saves badgering lucky to update a spreadsheet.

Which I'll get fed up doing and give up half way through the season. I'm amazed I've managed to keep the Dead Pool going for five years. Four years? I dunno. Something like that.

Good race. Very strange feeling though. It felt almost like a practice session at times, and definitely like a total reset. Mercedes looks like it's going to dominate, pleased for Ricciardo and Magnussen. Button although he finished 4th didn't really do much, I suspect he's going to have to step his game up to beat Magnussen this year. Williams, wow that car looks quick. Bottas would have been pushing at the front if he hadn't hit that wall. He was so quick through traffic, if they can get a clean race and a good Quali I can see a win or two this season. Shame we didn't get to see what Massa can do, looks like Kobayashi is as mental as ever. Kinda fitting if he is the first driver in history to get penalty points.

Bit of controversy over the Ricciardo thing. Red Bull claiming the car was compliant and it was the FIA's sensor that was dodgy. FIA saying they should have reported it instead of thinking their own data would suffice. It's shit like this that really spoils F1, though IMO we could have an entire thread about what's wrong with F1 at the moment.

Thoughts on the new engine sound? People are up in arms about it, threatening to sue and all sorts of shit. I don't mind them really. The cars sound like farts but it's cool being able to hear the team radios and the tyre squeals and the crowd reactions. I really hope they don't come up with some ridiculous solution like putting fucking loudspeakers on the car or something.

Just had a look at a video comparing the noise from last year with this year. Quite a difference! I quite like the new sound. It's got a bit of a futuristic electric noise in it.  F1 should be a bit whacky and experimental, not just whacking the biggest V8 they can into an aero shell.  Let the American's do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck, that race was immense. It was brilliant anyway but that safety car at the end was deliciously timed. Shame the Mercs are so far ahead but nice to see some different cars squabbling over the podiums. Seems almost unavoidable that Hamilton and Rosberg are going to take each other off at least once.

My bet is it'll be Hamilton who gets frustrated and takes out either himself, Rosberg or both.

Have to laugh at the fact that the new design nose was to stop people being launched into the air, and now there has been two incidents where a car has been launched into the air due to the nose scooping up the other car. The on board footage of the crash was great:

gutierrez-gif.gif

Finding it really hard to get into this season.

I hate how much of an engineering race it is these days.  This is just like the year Button won with Braun.  That car Merc have is just way better.

Put any of the top drivers in that and they will win.  Pretty boring which is a shame because as you say the rest of the pack is quite interesting but when the winner/2nd is practically decided already it's hard to care.

My bet is it'll be Hamilton who gets frustrated and takes out either himself, Rosberg or both.

Have to laugh at the fact that the new design nose was to stop people being launched into the air, and now there has been two incidents where a car has been launched into the air due to the nose scooping up the other car. The on board footage of the crash was great:

gutierrez-gif.gif

Not sure the noses were designed to stop cars being launched, they were lowered to prevent fuel tanks being punctured by t-bone style crashes. Cars being launched was expressed as a concern by a few people when they saw the new noses.

Think he may have stayed upright but when the rear tyre came back down at an angle it whipped the car round and forced it upside down. But might have still gone over without that, hard to tell.

UnpleasantHiddenApisdorsatalaboriosa.gif

Maldonado is more dangerous than the design of the cars really. No business being on the apex of that corner when Guiterrez turns in.

Finding it really hard to get into this season.

I hate how much of an engineering race it is these days.  This is just like the year Button won with Braun.  That car Merc have is just way better.

Put any of the top drivers in that and they will win.  Pretty boring which is a shame because as you say the rest of the pack is quite interesting but when the winner/2nd is practically decided already it's hard to care.

On the contrary I think it's ace. F1 should be about cutting edge engineering, not just aerodynamics.  Think they've got the best balance of engines, aero, tyres and driving ability that they've had for years to make for good races.  The biggest thing hampering enjoyment is still the broadcasting split between Sky and BBC. Best race for ages and I couldn't watch it.

If there's one thing they need to fix it's the constant hobbling of the cars, with fuel limits and having to use hard and soft tyres. That's what I dislike. F1 should always be fastest car wins by driving at 100% and being faster than all the other cars. Even if it does get boring. At least it's pure racing and not this silly chess game it's trying to be.

Also, Maldonado is a dick. I'm taking so much pleasure in watching him struggle this year.