aberdeen-music

Formula 1 Thread

Lemonade

Kobayashi in a Caterham this year has lol written all over it. Happy to see KK back though. Was a bit harsh the way he got the boot to make way for Guitierrez, who's turned out to be hopeless.

Wonder if Caterham or Marussia will start to trouble the midfield this season? I'm sure after 3 years they wouldn't have expected to still be so far behind. The big reset this season might give them the change steal a second and get a jump on some of the shite around them, ie Williams.

Kobayashi in a slow car could be carnage.  Amusing carnage.  

Hoping for a Mclaren revival this season.  They sure as fuck can't get much worse than last year. Same goes for Williams.  They have to start getting back up the field or there days are numbered I fear.

Paul Di Resta is back off to DTM.  Shame. It seems beating your team mate and scoring points isn't enough to secure a drive these days.  He really needed to do something spectacular last season to get ahead of the pay drivers.

• 4 weeks later...

With only three days of testing left before the first race of the year it sounds like Red Bull are in pretty deep shit.

How the mighty appear to be falling. Having scarcely got out of the blocks in the opening two tests of the winter, the RB10 was limited to less than 40 laps on Thursday as Red Bull's new car once again suffered from acute overheating.

Still yet to lap within five seconds of Mercedes' Bahrain-best time, and with just three days of winter testing remaining, the team's prospects for the season-opening Australian GP appear to be dire.

"If the remaining three days of this test continue the way day one has, I think Red Bull might struggle to get out of Q1 when we get rid of the slowest teams in Melbourne! It is that serious and even if they get towards the middle or front part of the grid, it looks like they will only complete half the race then break down," warned Sky Sports F1's Ted Kravitz. "It is very, very serious for Red Bull."

Not that you can take too much from winter testing but it seems Mercedes is the engine to have this season. Looks like Merc and McLaren are the teams to beat, with Ferrari and bizarrely Williams just behind.

bizarrely Williams just behind.

I hope they have a good season.  Though tarnished with pay drivers, I still have a soft spot for Williams from the 80s and 90s.  Sadly I think the sport has grown and left them behind a bit with the money needed to produce a winning car but rule changes like the ones introduced this year can give the smaller teams an opportunity to challenge for a season.

I think Red Bull are suffering from the way they interact with Renault. Most works teams now work with the engine department to design the engine to fit the car. Red Bull design the car to fit the engine, despite being the Renault works team, which worked up to now, but with the massive changes in regulations it's been shown up as a weakness.

The Mercedes engined teams will be the ones to beat, but I don't think Mercedes themselves will dominate the races. Magnussen has been showing he can play with the big boys and Jenson's driving style will help with the fuel limit. Ferrari have the pedigree with Alonso and Raikkonen and a good car. Force India have been showing good running in the tests as have most of the mid teams. I think Caterham could be in trouble due to the Renault engine and switching to the pull-rod front wing that caused so much trouble for Ferrari and McLaren when they first switched.

I heard earlier this week that Renault reckon they're 75BHP down to the Mercedes engine.  Which is an astonishing amount of power to give away really.  The BBC analysts don't think that will be allowed to continue throughout the season and suspect everyone will look the other way while Renault tweak the performance after the first few races so it's not embarrassing for them.

Historically, even when Lotus were Renault the engine was developed completely separate from the car. Which when the engine regulations are stable for years isn't such a big problem, but change the regs and suddenly it's an issue.  Ferrari and Mercedes have their engine and car teams working side by side the whole time.  Renault also trimmed their engineer numbers while the regs were stable and didn't build it back up in preparation for this year so they're suffering on manpower as well as horsepower.  All in all it means Red Bull will suffer unless they can pull something magic out of the bag.

Having said that, last season aside, Red Bull have been pretty terrible on the reliability front for the last few years (don't think they ever got to grips with KERS) but still kept winning championships so definitely wouldn't write them off.

I heard earlier this week that Renault reckon they're 75BHP down to the Mercedes engine.  Which is an astonishing amount of power to give away really.  The BBC analysts don't think that will be allowed to continue throughout the season and suspect everyone will look the other way while Renault tweak the performance after the first few races so it's not embarrassing for them.

And thus Renault went cap in hand to ask for a 2 month extension to the deadline where they have to submit engine designs, which is effectively the point where they freeze development for the season (barring safety or reliability issues, they can't make changes purely for performance).

BBC F1's Andrew Benson:

1. "It has emerged that one of the items on the agenda for Friday's meeting of the F1 strategy group (effectively the rule-making body) is for an extension to the deadline for homologating engines. This is 28 February - ie today. Manufacturers have to submit a specification for the season and changes are only allowed for reliability, cost-saving and safety reasons.

"Renault had indicated on Thursday that they were not worried about the deadline, but it seems they were being a bit disingenuous, as Auto Motor Und Sport are reporting it was the French company that asked for the extension. It could well pass, given the way voting works in the strategy group. Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt have six votes each, the six teams involved one each. Votes pass by a simple majority. So if Ecclestone and Todt think it's a good idea - for whatever reason - then it doesn't matter what the teams, who include Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari, vote."

"It's fair to say Renault's request for an extension to the engine homologation deadline has stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest. It's a very controversial thing to request, for two reasons - 1) these engine rules are effectively only in F1 because Renault wanted them and threatened to quit if they were not introduced; 2) the manufacturers have already had an extra year to develop the engines, after the initial date for the introduction of hybrid turbos was pushed back from 2013. Renault want an extra two months of development before specs are frozen, by the way. Contrary to what I wrote earlier, unanimity is needed for Renault's request to pass. Apologies for any confusion."

I think McLaren will go back to classic 80s colours next season when they go back with Honda. Silver is Mercedes colours anyway, and it was cool when they were the only ones but now with the silver Mercedes it's just like meh, silver, whatever. They should paint them gold. Gold is one better. That'd teach those Mercedes fascists a thing or two.

Paul Di Resta is back off to DTM.  Shame. It seems beating your team mate and scoring points isn't enough to secure a drive these days.  He really needed to do something spectacular last season to get ahead of the pay drivers.

I heard the reason Di Resta got the chop wasn't performance related, but because he was a miserable cunt and no-one in the team liked him.

The Williams is beautiful. Their cars have been really boring the last couple years. Not as bad as Sauber. Holy shit. They went from plain black and white livery to charcoal grey. Zzzzzzz.

My favourite of the past few years was the 2012 HRT. Total shitbox but a damn good looking one. I've got such a boner for gold. Even the font they used for the car number was cool!

121005_d1.jpg