aberdeen-music

Formula 1 Thread

Lemonade

• 3 months later...

Personally I don't like Vettel, but I understand why he did what he did as he wants to race. It seems that this incident has shown that Vettel is the number one driver at Red Bull, as no doubt he'll get away with it with no penalty, and also that Horner doesn't have the authority like Brawn has when making orders known. Rosberg and Hamilton were in the same position, but Brawn made perfectly clear what he wanted to happen, Horner just said "this is silly" rather than give the place back.

I think this may be the catalyst for a Red Bull implosion due to Vettel not following team orders, his relationship with Webber hanging by a hair, his standing at the team will be under question as well due to him not following orders. Maybe this is his way of starting to move away from Red Bull after all the speculation at the end of last year about him having signed for Ferrari for 2014.

I think its a joke to be honest, surely the fastest guy wins the race, not the guy who is in front after a certain number of laps, same deal with the Merc's, surely Nico should be allowed to overtake Hamilton if he is faster? Its a complete fix for the fans, considering the money you pay to go watch F1.

I think its a joke to be honest, surely the fastest guy wins the race, not the guy who is in front after a certain number of laps, same deal with the Merc's, surely Nico should be allowed to overtake Hamilton if he is faster? Its a complete fix for the fans, considering the money you pay to go watch F1.

But were Rosberg or Vettel really faster?

Hamilton was in fuel saving mode, whilst Rosberg was supposed to be being careful too.  Webber had his engine set to lower revs as instructed by the team, as was Vettel. 

But were Rosberg or Vettel really faster?

Hamilton was in fuel saving mode, whilst Rosberg was supposed to be being careful too.  Webber had his engine set to lower revs as instructed by the team, as was Vettel. 

Vettel hadn't turned his engine down though, hence why he was all over Webber.

Yes I know that, but he was told to. But had Webber had his engine at full capacity, who's to say Vettel would gave overtaken him.

End of the day, Vettel is a CUNT. He can say he's sorry all he wants, but we all know he doesn't mean it. I hope Webber just acts as awkward as fuck now for the rest of the season. He's helped Vettel many times in the past.

Exactly, what a joke this is becoming, even the drivers are saying they can only race at about 80% of what they would like because of fuel saving and tyres. Its suppose to be a race, not a scripted podium. At least there are drivers like Vettel who still understand its about winning first and foremost. 

The F1 is too safe and controlled these days. Don't get me wrong I would hate to see anyone get killed or anything but they just seem to potter about the track these days. There's no life about the drivers anymore, nobody seems willing to take a risk and plow past someone. Bore.

Exactly, what a joke this is becoming, even the drivers are saying they can only race at about 80% of what they would like because of fuel saving and tyres. Its suppose to be a race, not a scripted podium. At least there are drivers like Vettel who still understand its about winning first and foremost. 

Agree and disagree with you. It's a combination of fast car, looking after tyres, fuel management and strategy that wins races these days, whereas in the pinnacle of motor sport, it should be the fastest guy wins, racing at full tilt the whole race, end of. However, we had that for many years and it was boring as fuck because Schumacher just won everything all the time.

Agree and disagree with you. It's a combination of fast car, looking after tyres, fuel management and strategy that wins races these days, whereas in the pinnacle of motor sport, it should be the fastest guy wins, racing at full tilt the whole race, end of. However, we had that for many years and it was boring as fuck because Schumacher just won everything all the time.

I do agree it should be a combo, but it seems that now tyres and fuel count the most, and racing is second and only if some people decide its ok. I mean two different cars were told not to overtake another, just incase they happened to bump into each other. Hamilton has even said he was the slower car, so why the hell was he allowed to finish 3rd?? Vettel was clearly quicker, and yet people are calling for him to be suspended for winning a race??!!!

It's not for winning a race, it's for disobeying a team order. If your manager tells you not to do something, but you do it anyway, your going to get reprimanded, why is it any different for Vettel. People are calling for him to be suspended as if they don't, it means he is leading the team, not Horner, so what's the point in giving him instructions if he is just going to do his own thing?

Edited by MattJimF

Hard to get them to put enough fuel in the car to race properly without ending up with fueling at pit stops again.  Vettel being quicker was less about turning the engines down and mroe about being on the faster tyre (medium) at that stage of the race.

They have to make the cars more fuel efficient and less expensive to build and maintain (engines and gearboxes last for multiple races) as that's the only way to get big manufacturers interested in taking part.  If it was still all about making a machine that can get round as fast as possible then the costs would be ridiculous and it would have no relevence to the cars on the road that fans are driving.

Team orders are the biggest flaw I think.  They've always been there and they're what ruins races.  It's not so bad if the team is going to get a 1-2 and they just procession to the end.  It looks terrible if one driver is winning easily and has to slow down on the last lap to "award" the win to his teammate a la Ferrari.  Vettel was in a grey area. The fans want to race but I guess it works best if both drivers are aware they're supposed to be racing.  Webber would have thought Vettel was being told to back off (instead he was limply asked not to be silly) otherwise you could argue he would have defended a bit more robustly.  Vettel was a dick, it might have been what fans want to see but the way he did it was childish and underhand. Fans just want to see a fair race, best combination of fast driver and fast car winning. No dickery.

I do agree it should be a combo, but it seems that now tyres and fuel count the most, and racing is second and only if some people decide its ok. I mean two different cars were told not to overtake another, just incase they happened to bump into each other. Hamilton has even said he was the slower car, so why the hell was he allowed to finish 3rd?? Vettel was clearly quicker, and yet people are calling for him to be suspended for winning a race??!!!

Tyres and fuel have always counted the most.  Schumacher dominated not just because he was the fastest driver but because they always had the best and most ruthless strategy. It was deciding when to make pit stops for tyre and fuel (and drive thru penalties) that helped Schumacher win all those titles.

Tyres and fuel have always counted the most.  Schumacher dominated not just because he was the fastest driver but because they always had the best and most ruthless strategy. It was deciding when to make pit stops for tyre and fuel (and drive thru penalties) that helped Schumacher win all those titles.

He also had a special tire compound that the other Pirelli cars didn't get, which was harder wearing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Could be fireworks at Ferrari next season with Alonso and Raikonnen under the same roof. I doubt Kimi will give much of a fuck but Alonso has always come across as someone who expects a team to be built around him, with a solid number 2 who knows his role as backup. Surprised Ferrari have gone down this route actually, in recent years they've very much been a team with a defined number 1 and number 2. That's a damn good line-up though. Now if only they can sort the car out.

Guest Cool Thinker

New entry from Hesketh who have signed James Hunt.

BRM have signed rookie Niki Lauda reports are that he apparently bought his way in. He will be teamed with Clay Regazzoni.

Both of these drivers will enter the upcoming 1973 season.

Edited by Cool Thinker
  • Downvote 1