aberdeen-music

Formula 1 Thread

Lemonade

• 3 weeks later...

Williams have announced to day they've employed a new female test driver, Susie Wolff. Straight off the bat, Bernie is quoted as saying "if she's as quick in the car as she is good-looking out of it then she will be a massive asset to the team". Ah loveable old out-of-touch Bernie. Next he'll be suggesting she should be racing in skimpier overalls like Sepp Blatter.

Williams have announced to day they've employed a new female test driver, Susie Wolff. Straight off the bat, Bernie is quoted as saying "if she's as quick in the car as she is good-looking out of it then she will be a massive asset to the team". Ah loveable old out-of-touch Bernie. Next he'll be suggesting she should be racing in skimpier overalls like Sepp Blatter.

The full quote is even better as it includes slight surprise that she can be good looking, quick AND smart:

“If Susie is as quick in a car as she looks good out of a car then she will be a massive asset to any team and on top of that she is very intelligent. I am really looking forward to having her in Formula One.”

A lot of online discussion is also focussing on the fact that she's been in DTM for 5 seasons and has never been higher placed than 7th while her husband is a director at Williams. At the end of the day though she's an experienced driver who will probably do a good job in development and testing which is what they've hired her for.

20 Sexist Women?

They are all men haters who try and crash them out of races.

Also on Susie Wolff's page she is described as "a Scottish race car driver from England.", surely that would make her English.

A lot of teams seems to be making a huge fuss over the Mercedes DRS blow hole thing that seems to only be useful for qualifying, due to being able to run with DRS for the whole lap, but pointless for one/two straights in the actual race.

• 4 weeks later...

So, Maldonado was a surprise. Are Williams back or was it a one-off?

Read in a few different places today that Massa has one more race to save his seat, if he doesn't perform in Monaco he's gone, with Di Resta taking his seat, and Sutil stepping back in at Force India. Sutil was at Force India throughout the weekend in Spain so there may be something to it. What do you guys think of Di Resta? For me he seems consistent but unspectacular, very much in the Coulthard vein. Never going to take a race by the scruff of the neck and more likely to sit in a safe position behind someone and pick up points than race his balls off trying to pass. Risky move for him like. Number 2 drivers seem to have a history of crumbling at Ferrari and their car is a brick this year by all accounts.

I hope Williams are back. Reliving the glory years with a Renault engine! Could Maldonado be the new Prost or Hil? Only time will tell!

As for Di Resta joining Ferrari I'm all for a fellow Scotsman to do well but I think he would do better in another car. Lucky you are bang on with the number 2 at Ferrari often crumbling and the standard of the car is dissappointing this year.

I want PDR to do well but I cant see that being the way to do it either. Maldonado got a lucky break with Hamilton's fuel nonsense, but he still qualified well so fair play to him. Be interesting to see where he goes from here becasue this is a considerable leap from his usual standard of performance.

I think you're forgetting the legend that was:

305178-eddie-irvine.jpg

That's not Kimi Raikkonen!

kimi-raikkonen.jpg

A notable incident occurred in the build-up to the 2006 Brazilian Grand Prix when then-ITV pundit Martin Brundle asked Räikkönen why he didn't bother to watch a ceremony where legendary footballer Pelé presented Michael Schumacher with a lifetime achievement award. Räikkönen replied (on live TV) "I was having a shit".

Best Ferrari driver ever!