aberdeen-music

Formula 1 Thread

Lemonade

It really annoys me that talented drivers are restricted to testing and scrabbling around for a race drive just because inferior drivers have brought more sponsorship to the team. There's a lot wrong with F1 just now but that's one of the worst.

Quoted for truth. Balloons like Maldonado, Senna, Karthikeyan, D'Ambrosio, Petrov etc shouldn't be anywhere near F1. And quick reliable drivers like Barrichello and Sutil can't get a drive.

Frankly there could be a whole thread dedicated to what's wrong with F1.

The new one looks like it's had it's nose broken. It's hilariously ugly.

Id only seen a side on picture of the new car till I read the paper at lunch time. that nose is reeking. HRT are gonna get donkey punched without KERS if everyone else has developed it.

There is a lot more than Charles Pic who paid to be there. totally ruins it.

The stepped noses look horrible. F1 cars get uglier every year. Ferrari seem to have handled the new lower nose regulation a lot worse than McLaren and Lotus though. McLaren haven't got a step at all, and at least Lotus' looks sleek. Ferrari's one looks like something off a Fiat Panda in the 1980s.

431707_10150628286526413_12254981412_11527737_625601623_n.jpg

lotus_e20_2012-2-942x628.jpg

ferrari_f2012-1.jpg

The Caterham is fucking horrible looking too.

529528659.jpg

Red Bull launching later today.

First day of testing today. Most of the chat is still about the noses. Seems Red Bull have pulled a suprise and stuck a vent on the step of the nose. Not sure what they're doing with the air that's gushing into it yet. Speculation it could be linked to kers cooling which they had trouble with last year but I wouldn't be suprised if it was an aerodynamic feature. They'll have wanted to get back some of the downforce lost by removing blown exhausts this year so why not find some more air to direct onto the diffuser.

The Mclaren is looking good so far and I've got high hopes for Williams again. Would love to see them back in the top half of the field.

I'm not sure how Mclaren haven't got the stooped nose and everyone else does? Surely it's there for a reason.

From reading articles this morning it seems to be that Mclaren approach the nose with a different philosophy to the other teams. They have some more aero bits between the nose and the floor that splits the air flow towards the back of the car that other teams don't have. They've also got around the new regulations by having a lower chassis; which again is something they've done as a design philosophy for the last few years

Also the teams are saying the top of the nose isn't important. So they don't care much about the negative effect of the step as the benefits of opening up the space under the nose is more important. As I said in the other post Mclaren do funky stuff under the nose anyway so they can get away with having it look a bit better up top (or they hope so anyway).

My gut feeling is that Mclaren will probably be faster than most of the other teams come race day but that Red Bull vent seems like another Adrian Newey coup to me and they could end up finding that early advantage like they did with blown diffusers.

Looking forward to a new season. Disappointed with the Sky split, because I love the BBC coverage and it seems to be pretty widely respected. We have Sky Sports, so we'll see how they fare I guess. My gf is a massive fan and she was kicking off big style about Sky so hopefully she calms down!

Also the teams are saying the top of the nose isn't important. So they don't care much about the negative effect of the step as the benefits of opening up the space under the nose is more important. As I said in the other post Mclaren do funky stuff under the nose anyway so they can get away with having it look a bit better up top (or they hope so anyway).

My gut feeling is that Mclaren will probably be faster than most of the other teams come race day but that Red Bull vent seems like another Adrian Newey coup to me and they could end up finding that early advantage like they did with blown diffusers.

Adrian Newey is a genius. Designing a dominant, all-conquering car with three different teams is unbelievable.

Re your Williams point above, I have a feeling this is gonna be a long tough season for them again. New engine supplier, all new staff behind the scenes, no Sam Michael, two very inexperienced and arguably not very good drivers. I reckon they'll be bringing up the rear again, but hopefully now they've hit rock bottom they can start to build again.

Re your Williams point above, I have a feeling this is gonna be a long tough season for them again. New engine supplier, all new staff behind the scenes, no Sam Michael, two very inexperienced and arguably not very good drivers. I reckon they'll be bringing up the rear again, but hopefully now they've hit rock bottom they can start to build again.

I think the addition of a Renault engine and a less radical design on the car (plus no blown diffusers on the other cars) will help them. I don't think they'd survive another season like last year.

Back to Red Bull, Newey claims the vent is for driver cooling. Not sure anyone believes him.

I think I'll give it a miss this year. I must confess that the Sky thing has taken much of the wind out of my sails. It may smack of cutting off my nose to spite my face, but if I can't have it all for what I already pay (ie. the TV licence) then I don't want any of it. I don't subscribe to Sky, and I am not willing to start just to watch the races which aren't being fully covered by the BBC.

So although I've been watching it since I was a kid - F1, you can poke it.

I'm gonna watch as many as I can live on the Beeb and stream the others*.

*completely legally of course. Aberdeen-Music.com does not endorse the illegal streaming of sports events. All opinions expressed in staff members posts are the views of the individual staff member and do not necessarily represent the views of Aberdeen-Music.com, the owners of the site or its sponsors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just watched the Raikonnen interview on Top Gear. I always liked him just seemed natural and like he was being himself. Not all showbiz and a dick like Hamilton/Button.

Sounds like a bit of a lad as well, sleeps before races (because he "likes sleep"), racing snowmobiles when he's contracted to Ferrari, broke his wrist before xmas but he's fine now, drinking and passing out drunk in Monaco hotels. Total lad. Hero.

He was renowned as a partier. Apparently it's part of the reason Ferrari wanted shot of him, he was always too keen on the playboy lifestyle and he would skip doing promotional stuff cos he was busy partying, and sulk if he got forced to do it. At Monaco especially he'd be on his yacht drinking champagne with a bunch of gliterrati when he was meant to be preparing for the race. Legend has it he spun off once during the race and instead of walking back to the pits, he walked to the harbour to join in the party on his boat instead.

Fun fact - He checks into hotels using the name James Hunt, Hunt was his hero because of his playboy lifestyle.

Predictions for this weekend?

Rain!

I'm excited to see what happens. The Mclaren looks stunning compared to the fugly noses on the other cars and I hope they don't find they've missed a trick speedwise because of it. The teams and journos seem to think it's going to be the closest for years and I agree. It'll still be between Red Bull and Mclaren for the championship but I think Renault, Ferrari and maybe even Mercedes and Force India are all capable of picking up race wins this season as well.

Hoping for a good close season. Last season was good but spoiled a bit by Vettel winning so easily. Going by the admittedly unreliable pre-season testing, it looks like Red Bull and McLaren at the front with Lotus and Mercedes right up there them. Apparently Ferrari are really really struggling.

I'm predicting a Button win. Especially if it rains. Go on JB!