aberdeen-music

Formula 1 Thread

Lemonade

I know what you're saying about Hamilton but can you see Mercedes being happy going into next season with the same situation with their drivers?  They clearly don't get along and Mercedes will be expecting to be up there again next year but they can't expect the opposition to be as weak as this year.  Can they risk their drivers taking each other out and "letting them race"?

I don't think they don't get along, I think it's more to do with Rosberg having to learn to cope with the pressures of leading the driver's championship, whereas Hamilton has been up there from the start of his F1 career.

They both know each others strengths from racing together their whole driving careers, Rosberg knows he's never going to beat Hamilton on speed and has made a few mistakes when pushing for the win, which Hamilton has done as well (Canada 2011 springs to mind), but at the moment Hamilton is a more complete title winning driver over Rosberg, having had the pressure from his first season, whereas up until this season Rosberg has always languished outside the top 5.

• 1 month later...

So Bernie wants double points at the last three races, the team owners are a "bunch of idiots" for opposing it, he doesn't want to attract new younger fans because they can't afford a Rolex and doesn't see the point in using social media to promote F1 because its a waste of time. Just retire please.

Sprinklers at the side of the track must surely be coming up again soon.

Edited by Reinhold Messner

So Bernie wants double points at the last three races, the team owners are a "bunch of idiots" for opposing it, he doesn't want to attract new younger fans because they can't afford a Rolex and doesn't see the point in using social media to promote F1 because its a waste of time. Just retire please.

Sprinklers at the side of the track must surely be coming up again soon.

No sign of that happening - http://www.f1today.net/en/news/ecclestone-determined-to-never-quit-as-f1-chief-executive

• 2 months later...

Ron Dennis says the horrendously drab McLaren livery will change, but only if a sponsor comes in who asks them to change it. And they won't go back to orange or red and white because it's a step backwards. God he's boring. Looking forward to Twitter meltdown when a sky blue McLaren takes the grid in Melbourne though.

I'm getting a bit hacked off with BBC constantly reporting that McLaren are in trouble just now due to the limited number of runs they have completed and the issues they are having. Of course they are having issues, it's a brand new power unit and new design package, the whole point of these tests is to get everything working properly for the start of the season.

Also so what if Ferrari had the best times when Vettel was in the car, Mercedes are hardly likely to be running at full tilt during testing, as then it would just give everything away.

God I need to stop reading the shite Andrew Benson puts up on the BBC F1 pages.

The way I see it, the only team that is an unknown quantity is the McLaren due to the new package/engine, but I can see the order at the end of the season being pretty much as it was this season.

I'm getting a bit hacked off with BBC constantly reporting that McLaren are in trouble just now due to the limited number of runs they have completed and the issues they are having. Of course they are having issues, it's a brand new power unit and new design package, the whole point of these tests is to get everything working properly for the start of the season.

Also so what if Ferrari had the best times when Vettel was in the car, Mercedes are hardly likely to be running at full tilt during testing, as then it would just give everything away.

God I need to stop reading the shite Andrew Benson puts up on the BBC F1 pages.

The way I see it, the only team that is an unknown quantity is the McLaren due to the new package/engine, but I can see the order at the end of the season being pretty much as it was this season.

Sky F1 is similarly predicting doom and gloom for McLaren. They're not allowed engine upgrades during the season and all the others teams are, did I read that correctly? It will be a challenge for a newly redesigned car with a whole new engine being quick right from the off. But you can never really tell in F1. Especially at the first test, you know fuck all at that point. Just scrabbling for a story.

Honda are allowed to upgrade during the season, but they are only allowed an average of the points that Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault have left, which seems to be in the region of 6. Mercedes weren't planning on doing anything before the start of the season, but then with this new rule for Honda, means Honda would have had a lot more than either of the other three teams would want them to have (each team other than Honda started with 32 points).

• 4 weeks later...

Alonso out of the Australian GP. Not quite sure what to make of all this. They've constantly played it down and saying it was just precaution that he was hospitalised but he spends three nights in hospital, missing a test then sits out a race three weeks later. It must have been a really serious concussion.

Edited by Lemon Raspberry

I guess it's like George North in the Six Nations, got two concussions during the Wales-England game, the second one missed, and he had to sit out the Scotland game with the next week being a free week. 

Far better that he is rested then suffering the effects. Although there is two weeks between testing and qualifying, guess the Bianchi accident has made them decide to be seen being careful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

It is a bit sudden, but with the six nations being split with ITV, the golf going to Sky and moving BBC3 to iPlayer, it's not a huge surprise. 

As much as it was saving money sharing with Sky, they were still sending a raft of people out to each race to cover it regardless of if it was live or not, plus they were still needing to pay for the feed from F1M to dissect for the highlights. It's just a shame that they didn't go with Channel 4 instead of Sky, then it would have stayed free to air completely. 

• 2 months later...
On 04/03/2015 at 7:01 PM, Lemonade said:

I've set up a league if anyone wants to play Fantasy, badgergp.com, its the best I've used in previous years, pick 3 cars, 3 drivers but you also have to predict pole and top three at every race for extra points. League pin is 271068.

Http://www.badgergp.com

Same, except this year the pin is 4297225. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...