aberdeen-music

Formula 1 Thread

Lemonade

Formula E was pretty dull, until this happened on the last corner of the last lap between the guys in 1st and 2nd. 

http://youtu.be/_KzzBN-YNA0

Looks like Prost's fault to me, swerved across Heidfeld and didn't give him time to react. Glad Heidfeld is OK, that was a fucking nasty crash. Look how near his head is to that barrier.

Overall, Formula E feels like some kind of weird exhibition, or a Playstation game. The racing is kind of dull, swapping cars mid race is a bit comical, and there is no need for dubstep music to be going on throughout the race. Very distracting. Also allowing the viewers to vote for three drivers to get KERS, fuck off. That's ludicrous. It all feels a bit too plastic at the moment. We'll see how it goes after a few more races, but so far I'd say off to a bad start. If it wasn't for the crash it would have been pretty forgettable.

That crash is horrible. Completely Prost's fault, you can see him clearly look in his right mirror and not bother to check his left before turning in.

That crash is horrible. Completely Prost's fault, you can see him clearly look in his right mirror and not bother to check his left before turning in.

Yeah definitely. Probably thought he could shut the door on him going into the corner not realising that Heidfeld was actually alongside him. Rookie error. The covers over the wheels did their job, sadly the sausage kerb undid that. 

I like Heidfeld, I hope he wins.

• 3 weeks later...

So Vettel is off to Ferrari, Kvayt is moving up to Red Bull leaving Verne wondering if he's just a journeyman, Alonso most likely off to McLaren but will it be Button or Magnusson leaving, do you go with experience and title winner who has worked with Honda, or do you go with the emerging talent who hasn't done too badly in his first season.

Edited by MattJimF

I'd say Button is done. He looks washed up and he doesn't look like he wants to be there. Magnussen hasn't been that impressive this season IMO, he seems especially prone to slipping back near the end of races, but it's his first year and they definitely see something in him.

I don't think Button will move down the grid either, I'd say it's retirement for him.

Eventful race at Suzuka today with a horrific sounding crash for Bianchi. Hope he's OK but doesn't seem good from initial reports.

Brilliant drive from Button. Showed what he's still capable of and I think he could have sneaked a podium if the race had gone the distance.  But generally I agree with Lucky that the most likely route is going to be retirement for him. 

I have a link too, don't know if it's the same, can't get Mattjimf's one to work. Not graphic but pretty nasty.

http://gfycat.com/HiddenSleepyIceblueredtopzebra

Just had a quick look at it. I find it very strange that there is a green flag being waved while the car is still being recovered. Surely it should still be yellow flags at all stations until well after the hazard?

Just had a quick look at it. I find it very strange that there is a green flag being waved while the car is still being recovered. Surely it should still be yellow flags at all stations until well after the hazard?

I've not watched the video but have seen pictures of the accident and there's a marshall waving a green flag immediately after the site of the accident, so assume that's what's being referred to (and it was during the race, before the red flag).  With double waved yellows in the corners leading up to the accident site the green flag will notify them that this is the reason for the yellow flags and they're now clear to resume racing past that point.

I wouldn't be too surprised I was saying this to a friend a few weeks ago.  Mercedes can't have the risk next season of their drivers seriously not getting along and risking the cars and race results against each other.

They also can't really get rid of Rosberg unless they had got Vettel because Mercedes really need a German driver (that's part of the reason they stuck with Schumi so long).

Not yet, but Horner said Ferrari had made him "a very attractive offer." http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29487911

Certainly not official yet though.  Andrew Benson articles aren't posted on the Formula 1 sub reddit anymore because he seems to report rumours as facts in his articles for the BBC.

I still think Vettel will be going there but Benson is not a very trustworthy reporter.

I can understand Vettel not saying anything due to waiting for other factors to play out (Alonso not having announced his departure and Ferrari being silent). I really can't see Rosberg going anywhere seeing as he's just signed a new contract with Mercedes, Hamilton will probably stay if he gets the title and go if he doesn't as he's been happy with how he's treated by the team.

Once Ferrari/Alonso announce something everything else will all fall into place.