aberdeen-music

Things that make you realise you are getting old

fatboy

The fact that this is your point of reference for club culture makes u sound about 80

I know about Rockness.

Na, that was kind of what I was going for: trying to sound old. I am very out of touch with that sort of scene though. Anything dj/electronic based... I just can't appreciate it at all I'm afraid. I'm not like a "Dire Straights are the best band in the world/what is all this poncey nonsense/music is all about rocking a blues riff/you can't make music with a machine" sort of douche-bag or anything. I can't stand Dire Straights as a matter of fact.

Was it a shart or just that your ringpiece is more 50p than 20p these days?

I guess it was a shart, in that I was trying to fart but poo came out. It was pretty legit though.

I used to have to really, really try to stop myself from going out almost every single night, every week. I never got hangovers so I could quite easily go straight out from uni, get home around 5 am and be bright as a button for four lectures starting at 9, and then three hours of labs in the afternoon, and then repeat.

Now I take about three days to psyche myself up and get in the mood for a proper night out, and as much as i still enjoy a good dance, I essentially have to completely write off the following day if I make it past my fourth drink or so (if I haven't succumbed to hiccups by that point). I much prefer a quiet one in the Prince or the Machar and a good moan about something/everything.

I definitely prefer the two day recovery period but I'm okay with one, especially as I have a very late start on Mondays. The last two weekends I have had a big night on the friday and then drunk quite a bit more on the saturday but during the day and over a long period and got to bed at a time I normally would during the week. Both Sundays I've felt great which has led to much more pleasurable Mondays.

The Saturday nights which don't end until 7/8 am or later are the killers. I'll feel the effect of that for a few days afterwards.

I could never ever do the whole go out, have 3 or 4 hours sleep and the get up and go to uni/ work thing. I'm just not capable of it. I need my sleep. The couple of times I tried I felt so awful I knew not to bother again.

I used to be able to, home at 3, up at 8, no problems. Couldn't even think about it these days. I need my sleep too much.

I sharted when I was little once. It was snowing outside and I was freezing. I wasn't feeling very well. I let go a ripper and I felt really warm. It felt nice. I didn't put two and two together until I got home and realised what I had done.

...and from that day on Jake's life was never the same again. The era of poo had begun.

• Upvote 3

I was having a think about the internet thing last night. I remember when my family got our first computer. I was in primary 6 or 7 at the time and it came with Encarta 95 which had just come out. I fucking loved Encarta.

Then when I was in 2nd or 3rd year at Portlethen we got the good old 56k modem and I was introduced to the delights of the AOL chatrooms and hour long single song downloads.

So people who genuinely can't remember a time before the internet just make me feel old. I don't think I should have to feel as old as that at 26.