aberdeen-music

Things that make you realise you are getting old

fatboy

When I used to work at the petrol station and ID young 'uns for fags etc, I felt massively old when their Passport or whatever said they were born in 1993 and that was long ago enough for them to be allowed stuff like booze and fags, I was still 18 in my head. The fact that Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory came out more than a decade ago screws with my head too. I also cannot stand nightclubs where the music volume inhibits conversation, far happier in a quiet pub with a seat and a pint. I'm 23 going on 53 it would seem...

• Upvote 1

Well it's a bigger city so there are more to choose from than in Aberdeen. But I enjoy them more now because nowadays I enjoy spending the night dancing to techno music which I would have hated a few years ago.

Also in Aberdeen I'd find that often I'd just go to a club because the bars were closing and it was the only option if I wanted to stay out longer. Whereas here I could find a bar open at pretty much anytime and I'll only go to a club if it's actually what I want to do.

I’m not an old man, I’ll be 24 in March, but I am old beyond my years. Ask the poor bastards that play in a band with me. My ailments: a sore back, a dodgy hip, debilitating hangovers. These all lead to me getting very stroppy at practice, and if I’m tired, God have mercy on their souls. I get to the stage where I just can’t play the drums through lack of energy which leads them to ask if I want to “call it there.”

Other than that: turning up to rugby training and two team mates telling me that I was in 6th year when they were in 1st year (they’ve just left school last year). Moreover, being one of the most senior players in my “senior” rugby team. In keeping with my home town, the fact that these kids are much, much cooler than me now. Now, I used to be a pretty neat guy, but I am so far from being cool now... that makes me feel old. “Dubstep” makes me feel old. Djs in general make me feel old. That whole dance/dj scene: what’s that all about? Why do people think Daft Punk are “genius”? They’re really shit.

The fact that Jason Roberts has dropped down to the Championship....

EDIT: the fact that people at my work think I'm in my early 30s... :(

Probably one of the youngest posters but when someone i consider to be a kid comes into the bar and actually has ID. That makes me feel old.

When I get served at the bar by the tiny blonde barman with glasses I feel old. He can't be much older than 12!