aberdeen-music

Recording on an iPad

Flights

My sister is going to be around in a couple of weeks and we've decided to record a few songs we've been working on for a wee while. I've got an iPad with garage band on it and I'm planning on using that to record with. However I'm unsure how good the mic is on the iPad. I've recorded a few guitar tracks and they sound pretty good when played back. My sister plays piano and I've never attempted to record the playing of one before. Has anyone recorded on an iPad before and willing to share some pointers?

Thanks.

I think you'd need an external mic to be honest; but even then you'll need some kind of jack arrangement that separates 'in' from 'out' (the jack input on iPod headphones has a 4-ring sleeve - the extra one being for use of the remote/mic for the handsfree kit). There's plenty of reading to be done about that online if need be.

I think you'd need an external mic to be honest; but even then you'll need some kind of jack arrangement that separates 'in' from 'out' (the jack input on iPod headphones has a 4-ring sleeve - the extra one being for use of the remote/mic for the handsfree kit). There's plenty of reading to be done about that online if need be.

I wondered how an external mic would work. I presume you can get a jack with just the input ring on it?

I use an Apogee Jam for guitar parts and this may work for vocals and keys as well although you'd have to experiment. It's a great tool for guitar though.

I'm not sure if there are going to be vocals. the music we make is pretty chilled out. Does apogeee come with pre loaded effects and tools for mixing or is it purely recording software?

I wondered how an external mic would work. I presume you can get a jack with just the input ring on it?

I presume so - definitely worth checking up on; I remember trying to get one for a little four-track app I had on my iPhone 18 months ago or so, and they were pretty difficult to find. That all may have changed now, though, obviously. Let us know!

A quick google search has found lots of pages with lots of people asking about or complaining about external mics on the iPad. Depending on which mic you use there seems to be a issue with the internal mic not being cancelled out. Luckily I know someone who works in the apple store so I'll annoy her with questions later on!