aberdeen-music

Xbox 720 / PS4 / Wii U

Stroopy121

The whole no second hand game thing is a total joke. If developers and publishers feel they deserve a cut of the pre-owned market they need to get their heads examined. In order for there to be a multi-million pound preowned games market there needs to a multi-million new game market. You don't see Ford getting pissy because you sell on the Fiesta you bought a couple of years ago. Video gaming popularity has exploded in the last few years with lots of people owning consoles for the first time. alot of these people feel that paying upto £50 for the new call of duty is a bit steep when you can buy the older one for £15. It seems backwards to me to punish people for buying secondhand games. Surely the priority here is the fact people are playing your game! Instead of worrying about people buying second hand games the industry should be focused on creating games that have a much longer playtime and of a much higer quality. People won't trade in games that A. they havn't completed yet and still enjoy playing and B. is fucking amazing.

I won't even begin to comment on 'DLC' as that is a piss take on a whole other level!

• Upvote 1

I doubt they will try going down the same route as PC games, there is too big a market for 2nd hand games now a days, i would imagine companies like Game would have a huge say against something like that. I'm not really a next-gen fan right now, maybe in a few years when they improve it, but right now it just doesnt feel right.

So what, specifically is wide of the mark? I'm sceptical myself but it'd be nice to hear from someone who knows something?

xx

I certainly can't say a thing about my employer but i can't see Microsoft incorporating kinect into the console itself (with the growing number of people who don't put their console directly under their TV the logistics involved in the accuracy of that would be a nightmare), especially when they can make extra money from it as a peripheral. I am not convinced that Microsoft will put a Blu Ray drive in their next console either as it would increase the money they would be paying out to licensing and 3rd parties.

It's best to wait for specific statements from manufacturers as technology moves so quickly these days and there's a good chance that internals will be kept under wraps until E3 at the earliest. If there's nothing announced at E3 this year i can't see anything coming out pre 2013. Naughty Dog have definitely started developing (don't know how far down the line they are though) a title for the next-gen Playstation though and they are usually 1-2 years in development at least and they're one of the leading games companies for playstation exclusives so i can't see them not having a game available around launch

Game downloads are definitely one of the main focuses for all console manufacturers though because of the reasons stated already.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose they are forced to add gimmicks and put more emphasis on streaming media with their new consoles to justify buying them over a PC these days, especially considering you can just buy stuff on Steam then use a 360 controller to play if you don't want to use a mouse and keyboard. Ends up being cheaper a lot of the time too.

Inb4 amg not everyone can spend £1000s on a PC every few years despite being able to get a spec that will handle the majority of new titles for the same price as a 360 or PS3

I suppose they are forced to add gimmicks and put more emphasis on streaming media with their new consoles to justify buying them over a PC these days, especially considering you can just buy stuff on Steam then use a 360 controller to play if you don't want to use a mouse and keyboard. Ends up being cheaper a lot of the time too.

Even the latest CoD still doesn't support the xbox controller, which is a shame as dedicated servers piss on ranked p2p. Of course, if you ever query this glaring omission the response is invariably 'console n00bs would get pwned anyway lol'

I think that's what I like about the Xbox and consoles in general, they're completely standardised.