aberdeen-music

Xbox 720 / PS4 / Wii U

Stroopy121

So the next gen consoles are starting to gather rumours....

No second hand games.

Emphasis to lean heavily towards kinect/gesture control (allegedly to include lip-reading?!)

Estimated release dates from Fall 2013 to 2015..?

Anyone excited about this? Or are you in the same boat as me, wanting gesture control to go fuck itself..?

xx

That's what I thought. The rumour is they're gonna move towards a PC style system where a game as an activation code for your console or your live account, or something. Bullshit as fuck!

xx

You know what I hate? When you're playing a game and half the stuff in it is locked, and the only way to unlock it is to go to XBox Live and pay to download the extra content. Fuck you! I already paid £40 for the game! I shouldn't have to pay more to get the rest of the game!

• Upvote 1

Next gen starts this year. Nintendo have confirmed the Wii U will be released in Japan/US and Europe before the year is over. So I'd expect it to be out in Japan around September/October and here in December. Latest I heard was that the next xbox is 6x more powerful than the current one.... but only 20% more powerful than the wii u. How they reached those figures I know not but it would be interesting to see if it pans out like that. Nintendo have always had modestly spec'd machines so they get a profit on selling hardware from day 1 so either they are going to have a much pricier console than the wii was at launch (the tablet controller hints at that) or PS4 and xbox 720 are really going to have to bring something different to the table than just raw power. Microsoft and Sony always start their hardware as a loss leader and only make profit on revised consoles so to justify their typically higher prices they need to perform far beyond what the Wii U can offer or do something different. Microsoft have hinted at integrating kinect into at it but I can't remember Sony saying anything about move. At the moment it looks like the next batch of consoles are going to be way behind current high end PC performance.

I've heard the second hand rumour but hopefully it's not true. They've already gone far enough with the whole passes for online multiplayer scheme and making people who rent or buy a game second hand buy a pass to access those features/

I just read what you were quoting, Stroopy.

It honestly looks like they're going "right, we'll get a blu-ray player 'cause that's what ps3 has. and we'll do the no 2nd hand thing so we get more monies. Shit.. We need something new... umm... KINECT 2"

Better graphics shmetter graphics. I don't really want to pay through the nose for something that looks slightly more real. If I wanted real I'd open the curtains and look outside.

I just read what you were quoting, Stroopy.

It honestly looks like they're going "right, we'll get a blu-ray player 'cause that's what ps3 has. and we'll do the no 2nd hand thing so we get more monies. Shit.. We need something new... umm... KINECT 2"

Better graphics shmetter graphics. I don't really want to pay through the nose for something that looks slightly more real. If I wanted real I'd open the curtains and look outside.

They need to use blu-rays because of the capacity of one. The current DVD's used by the xbox are 9.5GB or something like that and a blu-ray is up near 50gb for a dual layer disc. This generation it wasn't much of a problem because most of the space on a blu-ray if used for anything was just to leave audio uncompressed and for rendered cutscenes like those in Final Fantasy games. Next gen games will use more space and I'd imagine Microsoft would want to offer 5.1 and high quality audio on the disc as well. Lets not forget the Xbox was launched about a year before the PS3 and was over £100 cheaper when it launched so it may well have been a cost cutting measure as much as 'let's offer the best we can'.

I'm not liking the 'integrated media center' direction that Microsoft are taking. They started it with the new dashboard update and building kinect into machines would be daft unless they offer a machine without it. I'm all about buttons and analogue sticks.

Surely they're not going to call it Xbox 720?

That's what I thought. What's next-next gen? XBox 1440?

Of course then by starting it with 7, they'll be three ahead of Playstation, which according to legend is where the 360 name came from in the first place. The idea was that if they brought out XBox 2 at the same time as PS3, people would think it was inferior because it's 1 less.

They should make one that goes up to 11.